Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Battle/DNA Tune Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 AM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the final tune (DNA remap, Wagner FMIC, DNA Filters intake, decat and cat back) v stock map (car had a decat and cat back system only):

Name:  StockvsDNAFinal-page-001_zpsd623bbcf.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  62.9 KB

Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks good George!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM
r0nd3L
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Are you sure that is correct? To me looks like the higher early curves that drop off are torque and the the steady rising curves are both hp cruves. The math doesn't add up otherwise.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM
r0nd3L
1st Gear
Originally Posted by george_talbot
Here is the final tune (DNA remap, Wagner FMIC, DNA Filters intake, decat and cat back) v stock map (car had a decat and cat back system only):

I need this file!

Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r0nd3L
Are you sure that is correct? To me looks like the higher early curves that drop off are torque and the the steady rising curves are both hp cruves. The math doesn't add up otherwise.
I'll scan BOTH my graphs this time so you can compare. You were right on the curves.

I will say this now though after looking at the graphs. AP after 4.5k has nothing left in it while the power in the DNA tune keeps going.

Last edited by ra2fanatic; 02-26-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Battle/DNA

Name:  dna_zpsab2e7dbe.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  52.5 KB

AP

Name:  ap_zps6d2e9734.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  60.8 KB

Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
r0nd3L
1st Gear
Battle/DNA

AP

Nice, that's a lot easier to read, thanks! DNA definitely has much smoother overall power and that HP curve towards redline is just sexy

Old 02-26-2014, 12:28 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
I don't know if these are comparable (same day, etc.), but it looks like:

- The shape of the DNA tune is definitely nice, but
- It looks like the AP provides a pretty substantial amount more power (especially when it's really a function of the area under the graph)

Is it fair to compare these?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Not sure you can really compare because the AP is on Stage 3 and my DNA map is Stage 2 with linear mapping.

Without me even making a comment on my tune, I let my friend drive it and he proclaimed it felt faster than his Stage 3 Cobb. Not my works, his. Two completely different tunes and the graph shows 9whp more, but the feels are completely different.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Yeah, definitely glad that you like it. When you refer to "stages", the term is a little nebulous and means different things everywhere.

What do you mean when you say Stage 3 and Stage 2? Neither involves work on the internals, correct?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rhygin
Yeah, definitely glad that you like it. When you refer to "stages", the term is a little nebulous and means different things everywhere.

What do you mean when you say Stage 3 and Stage 2? Neither involves work on the internals, correct?
Do you have an AP? Doesn't seem like you're familiar with "stages".

Everything kinda works in Stages; where each stage requires certain bolt-ons to "unlock" or "qualify" you to run that particular map. I could have run Stage 3 DNA tune, but chose not to. I've been more than happy as is.

Besides, I'm going up to Stage4 before Bimmerfest (May) this year anyways.

And no, it doesn't require internal works for either product.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Battle/DNA

AP

Is the top one AP or DNA? I'm a bit confuse... and thats AP Stage 3?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
It's hard to compare tunes when you can't see the boost or fuelling.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 PM
two250
4th Gear
It's not hard to compare, the AP Stage 3 made 221 PEAK HP, with a fairly flat power curve, but did drop off to below 200hp by the time it hit redline. The Battle made 209 PEAK HP with a liner curve, and made peak HP at top RPM. So the Alta AP will hit harder in the mid-range, but the Battle will pull harder in high RPM. However keep in mind that he has LINEAR maps for his Battle Tune, so the power is lower in the mid and therefore more predictable. Battle can also tune to have a curve similar to the AP, if you want it to hit hard down low. Plus he may also be able to flash a Battle stage 3, to get even higher numbers...

Last edited by two250; 02-26-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by two250
It's not hard to compare, the AP Stage 3 made 221 PEAK HP, with a fairly flat power curve, but did drop off to below 200hp by the time it hit redline. The Battle made 209 PEAK HP with a liner curve, and made peak HP at top RPM. So the Alta AP will hit harder in the mid-range, but the Battle will pull harder in high RPM. However keep in mind that he has LINEAR maps for his Battle Tune, so the power is lower in the mid and therefore more predictable. Battle can also tune to have a curve similar to the AP, if you want it to hit hard down low. Plus he may also be able to flash a Battle stage 3, to get even higher numbers...
So your not interested in seeing the boost curves and fuelling?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
Is the top one AP or DNA? I'm a bit confuse... and thats AP Stage 3?
Top is DNA, bottom is AP. I did write Battle/DNA and AP just above each graph.

And yes, that is AP Stage 3. Properly modded. I don't cut corners if you think I'm deceiving anyone.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by george_talbot
So your not interested in seeing the boost curves and fuelling?
I am, just to make sure they are within safe levels. I was just saying for the sake of comparing power and drivabilty between BT and AP they are not needed. Battle does tune conservatively so your not running lean or ridiculous amounts of boost, since they can't see what your AF ratio is. They told me they can make my tune better if I send them a dyno showing boost and AF ratio. With AP you are stuck with what you have, if it's too lean or you want a tweak to the curve, you're out of luck.. That is what made me choose BT over my old AP...

The main issue with comparing the graphs is they are not apples to apples. We are comparing a Stage 3 AP to a linear Stage 2 BT. What would be nice is if we had Stage 2 AP vs. Stage 2 BT, and a Stage 3 AP vs. Stage 3 BT. Although technically speaking we should be comparing a Stage 1 AP to a Stage 2 BT, because a Stage 2 AP requires a catless DP where a Stage 2 BT does not...

Last edited by two250; 02-26-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 PM
RJT
2nd Gear
Another Happy Customer of Battle Tuning….

I saw the announcement from Battle Tuning on NAM about a group purchase for the DNA Tuning program that includes the PowerGate3 OBD II access unit. Needless to say, after research, I was intrigued and wanted to know more! This came just in the nick of time, as I was currently looking at having my 2009, R56, JCW tuned by Jan at RMW. Upon research, I found that DNA tunes the cars for the racing Challenge Series in the UK, please see link.. (http://www.minichallenge.co.uk). I have to be honest, I was still skeptical after reading their website regarding tunes, mainly because they are located in the UK and I was worried about their customer service. $600+ dollars in no small sum and to think that I could potentially loose it or have an uncaring person on the phone was potentially a nightmare, but that all changed when I spoke to John from Battle Tuning. John informed me that this tune did not require me to send in my ecu unit and insured that this tune was the **** (in good terms). He also said that a fellow NAM member, ra2fanatic, currently has the tune that I was interested in and I could ask him what his thoughts were. This was a relief, to say the least, someone local to ask questions and to get his honest educated opinion. This was enough to go with this option, tune ordered in late January. I contacted ra2fanatic who spoke highly of the tune and customer service from Battle Tuning. He told me I would not be disappointed; coming from him was just the frosting on the cake, as he knows his Mini modding as most of you already know.
This last Monday, I received my much-anticipated tune/s, five to be exact, took some time to get, but time well spent! Downloading the tune took a minute; it took me longer to open up the PowerGate3 box! I initially downloaded the Aggressive Street program, why, because that’s how I drive. Went for my first drive, all I can say is WOW; it has transformed my Mini for city driving and freeway traffic monster. The linear curve of this program enables me to control and unleash the inner beast of my JCW, by pressing the accelerator; I have the turbo control that I have not had before. Deeper depression more boost, power and speed. Meaning, that the entire boost doesn’t come on in a blast early in the rev range, but later and all the way through the power band. The power gain in every gear has increased drastically, very smooth all they way to the red line, this is what I believe the majority of us are looking for, more like a high HP normally aspirated engine.

My car is a weekend and track car, so more information will be revealed later as I utilize the Race program on the track. So far, I cannot be happier with Battle Tuning/DNA and their support. If anyone has concerns, as I did initially, don’t, this is a legitimate tuning option, one that has been needed for many years. Excited again and looking for more hp, the pursuit that empties my checking account. Please feel free to ask any questions, I will be more than willing answer to the best of my knowledge and if you are near, you can test for yourself. I will have a dyne sheet to share shortly to prove the gains…standby

Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is anyone able to compare this to the Evolve tune?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM
PaScrambled
1st Gear
ra2fanatic, I can see why you like the linear tune, any dyno runs on the non-linear? I just ordered my tune, not sure what I want in my stage 2 configuration. Thinking the linear will be alittle doggy in short burst sections and the non-linear run out of steam on top. Not really going to track my car, so keeping speed up for the linear maybe an issue. Any real world ideas would be helpful. This is DD mostly good old back roads, still watching the speed limits. Guess really pick one and go from there with tweaks?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Is anyone able to compare this to the Evolve tune?
you have an evolve-r tune, why don't you dyno and post your dyno sheet?

Originally Posted by PaScrambled
ra2fanatic, I can see why you like the linear tune, any dyno runs on the non-linear? I just ordered my tune, not sure what I want in my stage 2 configuration. Thinking the linear will be alittle doggy in short burst sections and the non-linear run out of steam on top. Not really going to track my car, so keeping speed up for the linear maybe an issue. Any real world ideas would be helpful. This is DD mostly good old back roads, still watching the speed limits. Guess really pick one and go from there with tweaks?
sorry, haven't bothered. i technically could, but i also have an exhaust leak from my downpipe to turbo connection with a bolt stripped/sheered, so no point in dyno'in now because the numbers/afr would be off.

honestly, i think you guys look at the linear map and think too little of it not being able to keep up with others as a dd. i dd mine have no issue getting up and going.

but to each their own you know. i understand it's the age of the turbo so people are going to want their boost and care less about top end. i on the other hand, like the predictable power from my linear map and even my buddy with his 335i putting down 460hp has a big smile from ear to ear in my MINI.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Do they have any maps for E85?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Non-linear would pretty much be what 99% of tuned MINI's have. Everything at once, in your face. Any and every tuning company for MINI has offered this. BT/DNA is the first that I know of that does this linear map.

His map maybe linear, but don't assume Honda linear.

They don't have turbos=no torque....we do
Or Achilles heel is the top end.

Also, think of the longevity of the power train by not having all that torque so soon in the power band.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got my tune today. I tried the non-linear tune first. Just to get instant satisfaction for achieving so much more power. Wow. I didn't expect to be busting through the gears as fast as I am! So much more power than before! Tomorrow I am going to load the linear map and see how that treats me

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Battle/DNA Tune Thread