Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Battle/DNA Tune Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 PM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just placed my order today... can't wait... bye bye AP

Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Not hating at DNA at all as I might consider getting it eventually. But are the tunes not made for huge power?
Cuz I know MarioKart got his GP to 250whp and 270wtq with the JB+. Would DNA do the same? Or are they more of a conservative tune? The mini challenge only has like 210hp I think. I could be wrong.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
People don't realize MINI Challenge Cars are all tuned without increasing boost. Do your homework before you start making claims...

Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
I understand that. DNA told me that.
But why wouldn't you want to increase boost?
Serious question. Educate me please. Not at all trying to be rude or disrespectful. I'm just curious. I'm still new to all this tuning stuff lol

Last edited by johntotah94; 02-27-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:04 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
If you understand that then your point about 210hp on a Challenge MINI is a pointless statement and downplays what they're capable of doing. Especially when you're comparing a GP2 to a regular S.

Then you have to consider they're not well known in the US because they're UK based and have not really promoted their tune until BT came into the picture. Can't really claim they are "not made for huge power" when the power output is actually comparable to what Stage 2 tunes are known for.

I think you need to sit back a bit and wait to see what these tunes are able to do because it's very apparently you're undecided with what route to go with, with your limited N18 options.

Not downplaying MarioKart's numbers either, but if I had a GP2 and it was a N14 I'd prove they're more than capable of putting big numbers and blow those numbers out of the water with a Battle/DNA tune, you just don't have numbers to show you yet. I don't mess around.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
I'm not trying to be disrespectful or attack at all. I am just trying to increase my knowledge about cars. I was just curious why the Mini Challenge did not shoot for high power numbers. Unless there is more than just power that I don't know of. I don't know much about the challenge but I think it uses a JCW turbo. I know your saying those are numbers for Stage 2 but Manic Motorsport's JCW Stage 1 put an N14 to 261.9bhp
I don't know Manic much either, I just watch their international videos. No idea if it's a good tune or not since they are not in the US.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Are you not getting it in your head? Tuning WITHOUT increasing BOOST.

Challenge MINI...a racing series, sanctioned series that prohibits the increase. You keep saying you get it, but you keep harping back at it like you're trying to prove something here.

Anyways, I'm happy with my tune and when I get to Stage 4, maybe it'll shut you up a bit to show you what they're capable of doing.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Ok. My bad. I didn't know that they prohibited increasing boost.
Thanks for answering my question on why a tuner would make a tune without increasing boost.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:29 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Wasn't even trying to attack you or the company.
I just really didn't know why they wouldn't increase boost.
Now I know. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
People don't realize MINI Challenge Cars are all tuned without increasing boost. Do your homework before you start making claims...
Wow I did not know that, no boost increase? If there is no boost increase where does BT get all of that extra power from? I'm even more interested in a BT tune!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Just because the Challenge Series is limited from their boost does not mean they can't create a tune for street cars. I think that's an important fact that users need to realize. Parameters can be changed for the street that Challenge Cars can't and aren't allowed to access. So boost is available for our cars!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 AM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The uk challenge cars use a "stronger" MCS turbo with uprated internals.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DNA can do anything pretty much. I'm talking to one of their dealers and they can give me a custom tune. I will be using E85/93 as John said that's the best way to create the 45whp/40wtq. Only thing I'm waiting on is for Battle tuning to offer the GFB DV for the N18. I refuse to use alta garbage. He said he can keep my boost around 17-18psi, not bad at all especially for the price too. I'll keep everyone updated when I receive the GFB DV and send my ECU out to DNA's dealer.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're told the N18 DV+ will be out mid March. We're already receiving inquires for it. If N14 owners need a new diverter valve, our N14 stock will be in Monday.

Cheers.

Battle

Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Luisv220
1st Gear
What else would I need for a stage 2 on my 2013 mini if I have a Alta CAI, borla cat back exhaust, milltek catless downpipe, turbo to intercooler silicone hot-boost pipe and planning to buy a Forge intercooler..?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Autobutcher
1st Gear
Ordered my tune yesterday from Battle. Their communication is on point. We just picked up a 2009 MCS for fiancé last week and I'm already starting the mods. I let them know that it is stock at the moment but will be doing the usual stuff ( fmic, intake, exhaust, hoses). They said they would start me off at the stage one and when the other mods were done, we'd bump up to a stage two.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have more than enough to achieve stage 2. Check my sig and you'll see we have primarily the same bolts ons (not same brand) and I and currently running stage 2. Once I get the new FMIC from helix I'll move up to stage 3

Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Anyone got a dyno on this tune yet? I am hesitant to purchase without dyno confirmed gains.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
You may want to check out page 2 of this thread. Its all laid out for your eyes to enjoy

Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Wasn't even trying to attack you or the company.
I just really didn't know why they wouldn't increase boost.
Now I know. Thanks.
dude, i'm with you. i was thinking the same thing, but i knew someone would get butthurt if the question were asked. i still don't understand the whole linear power delivery thing. there's is so much real estate between the cobb stg 3 vs. the dna stg 2 for most of the rpm range that i can't see how one can objectively say that the dna tune is superior. is it a matter of a driver not being able to harness the extra power in the lower range?
if you put a car in the hands of a capable driver, have him run one lap in a cobb stg 3 vs. one in dna stg 2, i don't think the dna tuned car would run it quicker. i could be wrong, and we're comparing green apples to red apples here, since it's stg 3 vs. stg 2. but still, at the end of the day, it's all math and science.
now that the can of worms has been popped open...

Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
dude, i'm with you. i was thinking the same thing, but i knew someone would get butthurt if the question were asked. i still don't understand the whole linear power delivery thing. there's is so much real estate between the cobb stg 3 vs. the dna stg 2 for most of the rpm range that i can't see how one can objectively say that the dna tune is superior. is it a matter of a driver not being able to harness the extra power in the lower range?
if you put a car in the hands of a capable driver, have him run one lap in a cobb stg 3 vs. one in dna stg 2, i don't think the dna tuned car would run it quicker. i could be wrong, and we're comparing green apples to red apples here, since it's stg 3 vs. stg 2. but still, at the end of the day, it's all math and science.
now that the can of worms has been popped open...
It seems as though nobody is aware of the fact that Battle/DNA can tune either way. ra2fanatic has only done a dyno of the linear tune. He has not done one of the non-linear tune, which is comparable to cobb tune. (power curve). If you look at page 1 post #25 george talbot posted both of the DNA tune curves (liner vs non-linear). I think people were looking at that dyno and thinking it was Cobb vs DNA. But in reality it was both DNA.

Look at the graph and you'll see the power results are similar if not better than the cobb due to its stability.

Last edited by Grizld700; 02-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Luisv220
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
You have more than enough to achieve stage 2. Check my sig and you'll see we have primarily the same bolts ons (not same brand) and I and currently running stage 2. Once I get the new FMIC from helix I'll move up to stage 3
you just gave me ideas but I just received an email from DNA stating that they don't make tunes for my 2013 mini YET, due to it being an N18 engine.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
And now a quick follow up post. Related/unrelated to previous post. Yesterday I received my tune maps from Battle. I wanted to try out the non-linear map first. First reason being aligned with what jomama was talking about in the post above. Achieving the peak power sooner would only mean faster and of course give the instant gratification of MORE POWER! And it was great. I absolutely loved it. The way it accelerated reminded me of my buddy's EVO. Slamming through the gears was great. So much faster than before. It definately didn't have the lag of the EVO though, so I was thoroughly pleased.

I tried out the non-linear tune today. Holy cow. This is a different car. It actually reminds me of the power delivery I used to get with my '03 R53. Solid, unwavering power gaining throughout the power band. Loved, loved, loved the way the power is delivered. Through the twisties I like to test my car on I hardly have to feather the throttle to go through the apex just right. It felt like a professionly tuned race car. Unbelieveable.

Another thing about the non-linear tune people seem to forget. When you upshift when pushing full throttle, you dont start the whole powerband all over, if you shift your car correctly you'll upshift from 2-3 and still be hitting a great point within the power band. Its not all first gear where you start out at 1,500 RPM every time. You shift and you're already hitting that power. There is no real need for all that power at the low end once you get going, its just a waste. Not to mention the extra stress the powertrain endures because of it.

Just a quick re-cap, I came into this tune thinking I need to hit power as quickly as possible, I came out knowing the NA feel of the linear tune was definately the correct choice.

Last edited by Grizld700; 02-28-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 PM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Yes look at my graphs. John made two boost profiles, I test drove both and much preferred having the low down torque, remember that the throttle is still linear so it's easy to drive out of the corners no matter what map you go for.

For those that haven't seen it, here is a sneak preview of a MCS Auto with a hybrid and 15/16 psi map:

Attached Thumbnails Battle/DNA Tune Thread-image.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Luisv220
you just gave me ideas but I just received an email from DNA stating that they don't make tunes for my 2013 mini YET, due to it being an N18 engine.
Depends on your ECU. DNA can tune my N18.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Battle/DNA Tune Thread