Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Operation Hot Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 02:50 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, since I still need to drop the header for an aftermkt one, that would be a good time to do this. I appreciate the offer, and I will indeed contact you when the time comes...

I too have an electronic boost gauge a la the PROMINI kit. Mine zeros with the ignition on, engine off. When the engine is turned-over, at idle, I get about 16 to 18 vacuum. And when I turn it off, the gauge stays there - not zeros, like yours. Strange...

Thanks for sharing jlm!

Old 08-22-2004, 03:56 PM
USAMINICOOPER
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JlM: Fantastic. Thats the best setup I have ever seen on a Mini.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:43 PM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
[QUOTE=jlm]
...I also had the subframe off to replace the steering rack... QUOTE]

jlm, OT i know, but was your new rack a manual one? if so, are you going to post about it?

thanks

Old 08-22-2004, 05:08 PM
jlm
6th Gear
I had some wheel play (toe was changing on one side by about +/-1/8" and I traced it to rack slop. I replaced it with the "new" stock replacement; apparently Mini has had some problems with the '02 racks. Along with the new rack, ball joints, tie rod ends and clamps come with the replacement set. You also have to get the special steering fluid wiz from the dealer; $30 a can. Probably a warranty repair, but my rig is so played with, I did it myself to avoid dealer ream.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Revolver
2nd Gear
Eh, back to the subject, if you don't mind...

Okay I installed the HAI today. I hope this doesn't sound too cliche, but...THIS THING ROCKS!!! Hehe, I went right from stock AI to the HAI and wow... The car is definitely pulling harder, and the supercharger sounds amazing, it really screams at high revs. Also that little "inhaling" sound right before the engine noise gets loud is, uh, louder. Very cool!! I don't know, maybe guys who are replacing an already-aftermarket AI are just getting a slight gain, but to my ears and the butt dyno, going from stock to HAI makes a big difference. Whoo hoo!

Why does the supercharger get so much louder? Is it just from removing the top of the airbox, letting more sound through?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:27 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet. I can't wait to upgrade my stock airbox with the HAI. The sound is lounder because it doesn't have to travel through the intake tube, then the airbox, and then out the front of the car. Now, it just starts out near the front of the car without any dampening. People with the Alta intake say the HAI is quieter because their intake sucks from the cowl vent instead of the front of the car so the SC whine is directed right into their face.

Old 08-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
I went from a BMP CAI to the HAI and I can't say I feel much difference in pick-up, but there sure is a huge difference in sound. I can hear the butterfly valve in the throttle body opening, and that sucking sound under acceleration is SOOOOO cool!

Old 08-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Revolver
2nd Gear
Butterfly valve...I figured that's what that sound was, but I didn't know what it was called. (I'm mechanically challenged, hehe.) It makes a cool slightly metallic inhaling sound. This is my first mod and it was pretty easy, especially considering I have never even changed my own oil! Great instructions Andy (the Alta intake instructions on the Webb Motorsports site).

Oh yeah, Bisch, I also got me a blingin' air breather for the emissions valve thingy...the filter matches the K/N filter except the ends are all shiny. Man, the chicks will dig that when I pop the hood in the McDonalds parking lot.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:15 PM
olYeller
2nd Gear
Yeah, those breather filters are pretty blingy -(great now i'm making up new ebonics phrases)

feels like i should have glow lights , a light-up shift **** and some snap-on 20" chrome spinners for the wheels

it is great to hear the supercharger whine when you are cruising downtown and watching people turn their heads as a MINI screams by.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Agro
Here's what mine looks like with teh yellow breather filter. Getting THAT onto the hose was a pain in the **** (and hand).

Old 08-26-2004, 03:15 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Have been trying to find the 1550 locally but with no luck. Where are some of the places everyone has been getting either the 1550 or 1520?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2004, 05:47 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
Ajusa

...as suggested by someone earlier. As they stated, it took over a week to get here but for $35 is well worth the wait. Installation is as simple. I tried downloading the directions from Webb Motorsports but the power kept going out! (This was right after we had our power turned back on after a week thanks to Hurricane Charley) It went out four times in an hour and half

So I went out and disassembled the plumbing from memory and intuition
Quite simple and although this would be my first perf mod and I have only theory and others testimony yet don't have any hard data to back it up...it is well worth the SOUND for $35!

I also bought a blue oil breather with a chrome cap!

Old 08-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Revolver
2nd Gear
I installed the HAI a few days ago. I have my first service coming up in only about 3000 km. I am wondering what the dealer's reaction will be.

Has anyone had any feedback from their dealer about warranty and such issues?

Old 08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolver
I installed the HAI a few days ago. I have my first service coming up in only about 3000 km. I am wondering what the dealer's reaction will be.

Has anyone had any feedback from their dealer about warranty and such issues?
I depends entirely on the particular dealer. If there is any doubt, replace the stock...it takes just a couple minutes. As you are just going in for maintenence service, no biggy. If you have a warranty claim...well...

My service mgr. just kinda lifts the bonnet, shakes his head and smirks . He takes the "whatever..." approach. He also wears a patch over his good eye some days!

Old 08-26-2004, 01:14 PM
mellow
2nd Gear
You should feel lucky. My dealer frowns on all non MINI additions.

To make sure I don't go off the topic....posted a little earlier trying to find out where everyone was getting their K&N filters..either 1520 or 1550.

Originally Posted by Bisch
I depends entirely on the particular dealer. If there is any doubt, replace the stock...it takes just a couple minutes. As you are just going in for maintenence service, no biggy. If you have a warranty claim...well...

My service mgr. just kinda lifts the bonnet, shakes his head and smirks . He takes the "whatever..." approach. He also wears a patch over his good eye some days!

Old 08-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Agro
www.ajusa.com sells the RU-1550 for $35 with free shipping. It took about a week to arrive.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:59 PM
JCIP
2nd Gear
Mail order is the only way to go if you are off the beaten path. There are several outfits around the country, you might do an internet search for K&N filter sales, and look for someone who seems more local to you. The 1550 seems to be a special order item from just about everyone.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Agro
I talked to Pep Boys, Checker and Autozone locally before I ordered from AJUSA.com and they all wanted over $50 plus tax, and the wait time was anywhere from 3 to 10 days. $35 shipped, no tax was a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:24 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
buzzing sound?

anyone else have a metallic buzzing sound at about 2500 to 3000 rpm? It sounds like it could be a loose clamp but I have looked and looked and found nothing loose. It only started after the HAI.
Could it be the throttle body vibrating? It only does it under load and not while in neutral. Ideas?

Old 09-07-2004, 08:35 AM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
[size=2]On a golf tour in Ireland, Tiger Woods drives his BMW into a petrol station in a remote part of the Irish countryside.

The pump attendant, obviously knows nothing about golf, greets him in a typical Irish manner completely unaware of who the golfing pro is.

"Top of the mornin' to yer, sir" says the attendant.

Tiger nods a quick "hello" and bends forward to pick up the nozzle. As he does so, two tees fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground.

"What are those?, asks the attendant.

"They're called tees" replies Tiger.

"Well, what on the god's earth are dey for?" inquires the Irishman.

"They're for resting my ***** on when I'm driving", says Tiger.
"F$&%@*) Jaysus", says the Irishman, "BMW thinks of everything."

[/size]

Old 09-07-2004, 10:37 AM
kapps
6th Gear
ROTFLMAO...now that's one way to jump start this thread.

Now back to business. To all you in Florida, how did the HAI do in Charley and Frances?

Old 09-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
OK, I have to admit that I dont' know what "ROTFLMAO" is

Old 09-07-2004, 11:26 AM
TomAiello
3rd Gear
Rotflmao

Originally Posted by Blue Brummie
OK, I have to admit that I dont' know what "ROTFLMAO" is
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My *** Off, or equivalent.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Revolver
2nd Gear
ZAKdog, no metallic buzzing sound here, sorry I can't be more help.

What I do have though is a great big jeebus supercharger whine. I scared a girl driving a jeep today when I pulled out from behind her to pass. Oops, sorry girl...don't blame me, it's Andy's fault!

Old 09-09-2004, 05:09 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
I'm thinking it is the throttle body. When I blip the throttle, I can hear the sucking sound that is somewhat similar. Andy suggested that I re-install the stock setup and check for the noise

I don't see how installing the HAI would cause any damage. As you know, the install goes incredibly easy with no sweat!

I'll have to wait and see after this next hurricane Ivan

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Operation Hot Air Intake