Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Which fuel injectors to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I am not sure where in Ct you are but Rich and Scott at http://www.rdzmotorsports.net/
have done some work on my MINI and can tune also from what they told me. I ended up moving before I had a chance to use them more. Give them a call.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There's some good information here. I'd reiterate that having a proper spray pattern is important, and that installing injectors un-tuned really will not help. On stock 330cc injectors with a 19% (or equivalent combination of pulleys) the AFRs are about 10.5-1 at red line. Knock sensor activity will be heightened from higher IATs not lean fueling conditions. 10.5-1 is plenty rich.

The point is, if you're going to go through the effort of installing injectors, get them properly tuned.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I have to agree, when it comes to injectors, unlike some other parts, you have some wiggle room as far as which ones & when, and because of this you can really benefit by knowing you spent your money wisely and are not going to have to go back & replace something you just bought a year ago.

The 330's will suffice until your positive "how far" you're going to take your mods, or at the very earliest, can get the car tuned. Then, if you're sure your mods won't exceed the need for 380's, go ahead & throw them in "pre-tune" & drive it till the tune, but this way if your planned mods exceed the limits of the 380's you haven't wasted the $.

With the 330's & pulleys your concern is really nothing more than "enough fuel", so all you really have to do is adjust your driving accordingly until you're ready to do it right.
Stick with this & you'll be just fine:
15% - Factory Redline
17% - 6500 Redline
19% - 6200 Redline

Remember, your only real concern is @ WOT, near the top of the RPM, so other than this you can still drive the hell out of it if you like, until you're ready.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some more very good info and advice. thanks very much. i have no idea when ill be able to do a tune, and i rarely take the car above 5-5.5k rpm, so i guess im ok for now. i plan on having this car for a long time since it currently has 72k miles on it, and i only add 4-5k miles a year, so ill probably just have to take it slow and make sure i have a plan before i waste thousands of dollars haha.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM
MC40-817
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zeppie
Hello MC,

I took my '06 MCS to my local MINI dealership here in Appleton. There are only three MINI dealerships that I know of here in Wisconsin; Madison, Milwaukee, and Appleton. This dealership also installed my 15% pulley. I posted a small "pulley thread" on my club's form site here on "NAM". My club is called NEW MINI's Club. The post is called "MINI of the Fox Valley does Pulley upgrades!" I hope it will help you out on some questions. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Zeppie
Thanks Zeppie, I'll check my local Madison Mini 1st and see if they'll do the pulley. If not I'll call Eric at the Appleton Mini.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
You're welcome

Originally Posted by MC40-817
Thanks Zeppie, I'll check my local Madison Mini 1st and see if they'll do the pulley. If not I'll call Eric at the Appleton Mini.

By the way, Eric is now working at a different dealership. I will up date that old form. Ask for a technician named Keo(Key~O). He is the tech that put both my Dad's and mine pulley's on. Let him know that you've talked with me, and that you heard it from the N.E.W. MINI Club. They have everything you will need, even if it is a little bit more of a drive for ya. Enjoy the new mods for you MINI

Matson

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
MC40-817
1st Gear
By the way, Eric is now working at a different dealership. I will up date that old form. Ask for a technician named Keo(Key~O). He is the tech that put both my Dad's and mine pulley's on. Let him know that you've talked with me, and that you heard it from the N.E.W. MINI Club. They have everything you will need, even if it is a little bit more of a drive for ya. Enjoy the new mods for you MINI

Matson
So, Mini of Madison won't do it. On, Friday I called Fox Valley Mini and talked to Steve. He talked to the techs and called me back. They'll swap the pulley for $230. So, I made an appointment for April 3rd. I ordered the pulley& belt from Waymotorworks Friday afternoon and they shipped it an hour later. I'm all set.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running my car on the stock injectors with a 17%, intake, headers, and an exhaust. Car runs fine when it's warm out, but once the temps go below 40 degrees, the car begins to ping at high RPM.

I did buy a set of Helix 440s for the car, but the canned tune I bought for my Unichip won't run them without throwing throttle codes. When it ran without codes, though ... Much, much faster. No need for downshifts to pass 90% of cars on the highway.

I think the TPS potentiometers were bad in my throttle body. I recently swapped it out for a new one while tracking down a yo-yo throttle problem. That seemed to fix it, so I'll try the 440s again this weekend ...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
Awesome!

Originally Posted by MC40-817
So, Mini of Madison won't do it. On, Friday I called Fox Valley Mini and talked to Steve. He talked to the techs and called me back. They'll swap the pulley for $230. So, I made an appointment for April 3rd. I ordered the pulley& belt from Waymotorworks Friday afternoon and they shipped it an hour later. I'm all set.

Awesome! Glad to hear that you will be able to have your pulley and belt installed. Quick question for ya. Did you buy the Pulley Package Kit or did you buy the pulley and belt separate? Why I ask, is because if you have bought the pulley kit you will be getting "JCW heat range spark plugs". These are a must for keeping a healthy and happy MINI engine with it's new 15% pulley. I have them on my MCS. If you have gotten the pulley and belt separate, you might want to ask Brandon or Steve for "JCW spark plugs". It's about $40 that could save you $1000+.

Well, here's to your MINI's newly added boost! If you are looking for a chance to test out your newly added boost. Our club has a drive coming up on Saturday April 20. It is on our N.E.W. MINIs Club form under "Little Germany Drive". If you don't mind driving up to Appleton, you are more than welcome to join us.

Matson

Last edited by Zeppie; 03-27-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
The plugs that are needed are NGK 4285.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
The plugs that are needed are NGK 4285.
Thank you, I couldn't remember the correct NGK number of plug with the cooler heat range to tell MC40-817. Thanks for the help!

Zeppie

Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
MC40-817
1st Gear
Awesome! Glad to hear that you will be able to have your pulley and belt installed. Quick question for ya. Did you buy the Pulley Package Kit or did you buy the pulley and belt separate? Why I ask, is because if you have bought the pulley kit you will be getting "JCW heat range spark plugs". These are a must for keeping a healthy and happy MINI engine with it's new 15% pulley. I have them on my MCS. If you have gotten the pulley and belt separate, you might want to ask Brandon or Steve for "JCW spark plugs". It's about $40 that could save you $1000+.

Well, here's to your MINI's newly added boost! If you are looking for a chance to test out your newly added boost. Our club as a drive coming up on Saturday April 20. It is on our N.E.W. MINIs Club form under "Little Germany Drive". If you don't mind driving up to Appleton, you are more than welcome to join us.

Matson
Yep, I got the NGK 4285 plugs with the package. Also ordered an msd coil and spark plug wires. Now I just have to get the damn hood open. The cables seem to be stretched out too far.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Tab32
3rd Gear
I am not sure where in Ct you are but Rich and Scott at http://www.rdzmotorsports.net/
have done some work on my MINI and can tune also from what they told me. I ended up moving before I had a chance to use them more. Give them a call.
I do not doubt that RDZ Motorsports does good work, however, they are not a experienced as other shops, and so prices will be higher than others....they wanted $400 to install a Pulley reduc to the supercharger and I ended up getting it done for $140 at Greasy's Garage in Worcester, MA http://www.greasysgarage.com/main/

Took them 45 minutes compared to the half a day at RDZ....Well worth the drive!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Well I guess things have changed there. I paid 160 2 years ago with them.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Tab32
3rd Gear
Well I guess things have changed there. I paid 160 2 years ago with them.
HA! I guess he tried to pull one over on me cuz i'm a youngster

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Well I wont recommend them anymore then.