Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Which fuel injectors to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which fuel injectors to use?

Ok, so I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a huge debate about AFR, Duty Cycle, different tuners clashing, finger pointing, etc. If it does, well, I suppose I really don't care as long I as get an answer to my question.

I just spent the past 3 hours reading every thread and post with any relevance, on multiple forum websites, pertaining to R53 fuel injectors. I have spoken with a few different people and got their opinions, gathered some of my own. What I am looking for here, are facts. Is it possible for me to list the modifications I have done to my vehicle, and question which injectors I should use in combination with said mods, and receive answers, backed by real time experience and/or factual figures?

Let's give it a shot.

-Helix 17% SC pulley
-ATI 2% Super Damper pulley
-Alta CAI
-MSD coil pack, Magnecore race wires, Brisk silver DR14YS plugs
-2.5" catback exhaust

There are many other mods, but those are the most performance oriented.

Which fuel injectors should I be using for this setup? Should the same be added if a header may be added?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
Without tuning the JCW 380cc injectors are your only option and that won't change with the addition of a header.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Thank you miniman. I'm wondering do you have personal experience with your recommendation? I know there are a few different calculators available to determine what size is right for the vehicle in question, but I have not had the car dyno'd or anything after adding all of these parts, so I really don't know what I'm making for WHP. I don't track the car, however I do enjoy having the extra power on a daily basis. I rarely exceed 5600rpm, and never redline. I am open to tuning, and I do like the fact that the 380's do not require one to function properly, but are they enough to quench the cars thirst? It's a tough call when the only quality injectors I've seen are either 380 or 550. (noting the word quality. i would never put anything re-drilled, or with an incorrect spray pattern/angle in. maybe i haven't looked enough?)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You are fine with JCW 380's on your set up.

You can go bigger if you get a tune that can scale them...

But hell, you essentially just have a pulley. People ran for years with stock injectors, no tune, and a pulley....its not optimal, but you can do it.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 PM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS

But hell, you essentially just have a pulley. People ran for years with stock injectors, no tune, and a pulley....its not optimal, but you can do it.
Agree with Thumper. Just had RMW custom dyno tune on 2006 R52 with CAI, catback, 15% pulley, copper intercooler and stock injectors. Jan said stock injectors provide enough fuel for street.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
I have experimented with some 400cc injectors but without tuning you will throw rich codes. 380cc is the largest injector you can get without running into these issues. Tuning will help you get some extra horsepower and if you decide to go that route you will have to decide who you want your tuner to be as that will decide what injectors you get.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM
ntn125
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS

+1

RMW and Helix has quality injectors that you may want to check out. If you are not planing on future go fast mods than no need to go with anything bigger than 380 with your set up.

I have a custom RMW tune and running 17% pulley, CAI, exhaust with stock injectors (which are maxed out and holding my car from making more power), and dyno'd 212 whp just to give you some factual figures. I am planning to increase to 450 injectors with cam and header upgrade, and a re-tune, but that's me and my car plans.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Alright. Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. I guess with all the other little things I've done, it just feels like I have more than just a pulley haha. I don't really plan to build the head at all, so from the general consensus, the 380s will do just fine. I spoke with way from WMW, and he also brought up a good point that, I don't think I've ever heard of an OEM mini injector failing. I just wish there were shops like his in my area. I'm in CT, and theres not many places I trust leaving my car with, and the few places I do, either don't install aftermarket parts, and/or don't have the tools/skills to tune the mini platform. I wonder if the dealer would install them and flash to the JCW since technically they are an OEM part.

In an ideal dream world... I'd take my week vacation from work, road trip to Georgia the same weekend of SOWO, have Way install the injectors an tune, have a great time at the event, then come home lol.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
ntn125
1st Gear
Helix is in Philly if that's a more manageable drive for you. They'll install injectors and set you up with a tune. I have been there a few times and happy with the service.

JCW runs different pulley than your 17% so a JCW flash may not be the ideal route even if the dealer is willing to do it.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
I'll have to check their website and find out the details.

I also have the 2% overdriven crank pulley, do you think the combination of that and the 17% SC pulley are about equal with the JCW?

I think my favorite thing about the JCW injector option is that they don't require a tune. It's just a shame they're the same price as the 450s and 550s. It almost pains me to spend $10 per 1cc increase -_- even if it is the right thing to do lol. I've seen the videos with the side by side spray pattern comparison and it's hard to tell the difference between the 340s and the 380s, while the 550s are cranking it out hard, but I suppose it is what it is.

I'm going to see if I can find a decent place around here to install them. I do 90% of my mods and maintenance myself, but i did go to Swift Performance in Norwich, CT for the SC pulley install, and New Country Mini in Hartford, CT for a really good coolant flush. If one of those places can, thatd'd probably be the closest bet, then I can figure out the tune afterwards.

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 PM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ntn125
+1

RMW and Helix has quality injectors that you may want to check out. If you are not planing on future go fast mods than no need to go with anything bigger than 380 with your set up.

I have a custom RMW tune and running 17% pulley, CAI, exhaust with stock injectors (which are maxed out and holding my car from making more power), and dyno'd 212 whp just to give you some factual figures. I am planning to increase to 450 injectors with cam and header upgrade, and a re-tune, but that's me and my car plans.
Agree with Thumper. Just had RMW custom dyno tune on 2006 R52 with CAI, catback, 15% pulley, copper intercooler and stock injectors. Jan said stock injectors provide enough fuel for street. I should also mention the car dynoed 197 WHP and 177 WTQ, at 6,800 RPM on stock head and injectors. Bigger injectors wouldn't have changed this because the stock injectors were already providing enough gas. Jan said my car was one of the top 1% best-running cars he has tested. (Not biggest power - just strong smooth power curve on stock motor from basic bolt-on mods.) Since Jan's tune, the car is smoother and stronger - more torque. I suspect the stock head and exhaust manifold would be the bottleneck that limits more power. If those were replaced, then bigger injectors would be justified.

Last edited by RussWK; 02-22-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 PM
ntn125
1st Gear
I believe JCW pulley is about 13% but not positive. 2% crank pulley does not equate to 2% supercharger pulley because of their different pulley sizes so there is no correlation there. For me, a good tune is worth every penny and makes quite a noticeable difference in our Mini.

Why rush to replace your injectors if they are not failing? Figure out what's your goal first and what injectors you want and plan for a tune as the same time. I wanted to upgrade my injectors and cam with my tune but timing didn't work out for me, so I decided to get the tune while Jan from RMW was in town.

I remember seeing a post for tuning party in CT not that long ago. I'm sure you'll be able find a good shop CT.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
go_mini
2nd Gear
im thinking of purchasing 380cc jcw to replace my stock injector after getting my exhaust. ill get it tuned at dinan authorized dealer close to myhouse.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jown.iv
Alright. Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. I guess with all the other little things I've done, it just feels like I have more than just a pulley haha. I don't really plan to build the head at all, so from the general consensus, the 380s will do just fine. I spoke with way from WMW, and he also brought up a good point that, I don't think I've ever heard of an OEM mini injector failing. I just wish there were shops like his in my area. I'm in CT, and theres not many places I trust leaving my car with, and the few places I do, either don't install aftermarket parts, and/or don't have the tools/skills to tune the mini platform. I wonder if the dealer would install them and flash to the JCW since technically they are an OEM part.

In an ideal dream world... I'd take my week vacation from work, road trip to Georgia the same weekend of SOWO, have Way install the injectors an tune, have a great time at the event, then come home lol.

I asked my local MINI dealership here in WI if they would put the JCW ECU tune on my 2006 MCS if I purchased the JCW fuel injectors from them. They were about the same price as the online price if you include the S&H. They said yes, and I had them put on the 380cc injectors with the JCW ECU tune. Now I can not speak for every dealership, but mine did not charge me for the JCW ECU tune. With the JCW ECU tune, I noticed better throttle response and stronger low to mid range pull. But I really felt the power pull from 3,000 through 5,200 RPMs. To be honest I am running a 15% WMW pulley with DDM Works intake, GP intercooler and DDM Works diverter, and Megan Cat Back Exhaust. On the track it feels as quick as a JCW of the same gen. On back country roads, it's a blast to drive. Hope that I may of been of some help.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Enzof104
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jown.iv
I'll have to check their website and find out the details.

I'm going to see if I can find a decent place around here to install them. I do 90% of my mods and maintenance myself, but i did go to Swift Performance in Norwich, CT for the SC pulley install, and New Country Mini in Hartford, CT for a really good coolant flush. If one of those places can, thatd'd probably be the closest bet, then I can figure out the tune afterwards.

Thanks again for all the info.

I did the jcw injectors and it was actually a fairly easy DIY. I actually did this one on my driveway using my spot lights to get it done as I was worried about spilling fuel in my garage. Less than an hour and I'm no mechanic. Of all the mods I did, this was one of the easier ones.
BtW - I'm also in CT. If u find a good place for a tune, please let me know. I've been looking!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Tab32
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Enzof104
I did the jcw injectors and it was actually a fairly easy DIY. I actually did this one on my driveway using my spot lights to get it done as I was worried about spilling fuel in my garage. Less than an hour and I'm no mechanic. Of all the mods I did, this was one of the easier ones.
BtW - I'm also in CT. If u find a good place for a tune, please let me know. I've been looking!

The only place I'll take my MINI to is Greasy's Garage in Worcester, MA. Really nice guys who know what they're doing. They actually installed my Alta SC pulley in just 30 min, which is fantastic because other places I was quoted $400 and half a day lol.

I live in the Danbury area so It was a bit of a hike; but it was totally worth it!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 PM
MC40-817
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zeppie
I asked my local MINI dealership here in WI if they would put the JCW ECU tune on my 2006 MCS if I purchased the JCW fuel injectors from them. They were about the same price as the online price if you include the S&H. They said yes, and I had them put on the 380cc injectors with the JCW ECU tune. Now I can not speak for every dealership, but mine did not charge me for the JCW ECU tune. With the JCW ECU tune, I noticed better throttle response and stronger low to mid range pull. But I really felt the power pull from 3,000 through 5,200 RPMs. To be honest I am running a 15% WMW pulley with DDM Works intake, GP intercooler and DDM Works diverter, and Megan Cat Back Exhaust. On the track it feels as quick as a JCW of the same gen. On back country roads, it's a blast to drive. Hope that I may of been of some help.
Hi Zeppie,

What Wisconsin dealer installed your injectors and did the tune? Also, who installed your 15% pulley? I'm looking for someone in Wisconsin to install a 15% pulley on my Mini.

Thanks,
MC

Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tab32
The only place I'll take my MINI to is Greasy's Garage in Worcester, MA. Really nice guys who know what they're doing. They actually installed my Alta SC pulley in just 30 min, which is fantastic because other places I was quoted $400 and half a day lol.

I live in the Danbury area so It was a bit of a hike; but it was totally worth it!
yup!!

In CT, in norwich, there is a dyno that can do tuning on MINI's...
Jan/RMW has run a few tuning parties there....so if he is not doing a party, I bet they can still do it remotely with JAN.....
Just trying to think of the name of the shop.....

Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
the shop in norwhich is swift performance. they actually did my s/c pulley.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
With a 19%, a custom tune SHOULD be high on your list...just be sure the tuner will REMOVE the fuel-flow cutoff....with a 19% it can be an issue.
Yeah...Swift...My car was tuned there at the first CT RMW tune event.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
for injectors, check RMW, he has 550's and 440's that hew says has good quality, bosh units with pigtails....supposedly the RIGHT DOUBLE cone spray pattern. DO NOT SKIMP on the injectors IMO.
The JCW's are good, but for your mods, you need MUCH more fuel than the VERY small amount they can add....

Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
but if that is the case, why is it that so many people say id be ok with the 380s?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
When my car was tuned, I was FUEL limited at 200 HP...with a stock exhaust..
You have a 19% (effective) and MAY want a header....so your potential is MUCH more..and if you are going to tune, the scaling the bigger ones are the way to go.
I ran 380's, no tune for a bit....car ran fine, a bit better than without, but I did gain more power, smoothness, and MPG's when I tuned...and I know I am not Killing my cats, an $$$ fix, by running too rich some of the time.
The fuel trims in the computer can adjust the longterm trims for cruise, and light acceleration, but for WOT...it uses maps...the MINI uses fairly old, slow, narrowband o2 sensors...and thus cannot do fast adjustments...so WOT, you will be rich.
380's and a 15% are actually a power-loss according to some on dyno's, ok with the 17%, not sure with the 19%...not many folks have gone there and Stayed...may reverted back to 17%...but a tune would likely have fixed many of the issues folks had with the 19%.....
Thumper is 100% correct..the 380's will suit you NOW, but if you do more mods...a header, or a cam...you have to buy injectors AGAIN.
I got 380's cause I wanted to try to run, no tune...was fine...and IF I ever "lost a tune" from a dealer refresh, wanted to be able to run...and my mods are frankly done...200 HP is enough for me...but it sounds like you have a desire for more....

Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MC40-817
Hi Zeppie,

What Wisconsin dealer installed your injectors and did the tune? Also, who installed your 15% pulley? I'm looking for someone in Wisconsin to install a 15% pulley on my Mini.

Thanks,
MC

Hello MC,

I took my '06 MCS to my local MINI dealership here in Appleton. There are only three MINI dealerships that I know of here in Wisconsin; Madison, Milwaukee, and Appleton. This dealership also installed my 15% pulley. I posted a small "pulley thread" on my club's form site here on "NAM". My club is called NEW MINI's Club. The post is called "MINI of the Fox Valley does Pulley upgrades!" I hope it will help you out on some questions. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Zeppie

Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 AM
jown.iv
4th Gear
very informative zippy. thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Which fuel injectors to use?