Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc

Old 12-20-2009, 02:45 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mister-Aandrew,
I've never read what causes the problem. Is it something inside that breaks loose? Is it external? Are they not being installed correctly or is there enough variance in each car that some don't have the optimal amount of clearance around the resonator? Without more details, who knows?

Do you have the smaller or larger resonator? The smaller resonator fixes any clearance issues (that's obvious just based on size.) If the cause is internal, the smaller one probably fixes the problem but without knowing the cause, only time will tell based on user's experiences.

If you are not sure of what resonator you have, I have pictures of both here: http://home.comcast.net/~rwkeating/auto/altaexhaust2.html

Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. i have the larger resonator, as i can see you had the problem as well, with the rattling. How did you go about getting the replacement from them? was it difficult, i know the people at ALTA are great people and are willing to work with us customers. i also noticed in your vids, the smaller resonator seems to sound a little deeper and has less of the "swoosh" noise, correct?
-Andrew

Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
I spent a bunch of time on my own trying to figure out the problem. I wasn't getting anywhere so I called the folks at Alta, talked with them and we decide a swap was in order (I was still under warranty). I didn't know about the smaller resonator until I opened the package and saw it.

Yes with the new resonator less "whooshing" is heard. I don't know if it is because it is not there or if the louder (other) sounds from the exhaust mask it.

It is not that the whooshing sound is bad. I've referred to it as "jet like" The stock exhaust whooshes a bit too when heard at high RPM from outside.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
im not complaining about the "jet like" sound, and plus, how often to we redline our cars anyways :p thanks for the input rwkeating, ill be getting min installed next week, so ill definitely chime in with clips and feedback. one last question, how long after your install did you notice the rattling? was it instantly or after months?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
The rattling happened a few months after I installed the exhaust.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
o ok, thank you, well hopefully i dont get it, but if i do, ill be contacting ALTA. thanks for all the information!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hope you have better luck than i have

Old 12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rwkeating
Mister-Aandrew,
I've never read what causes the problem. Is it something inside that breaks loose? Is it external? Are they not being installed correctly or is there enough variance in each car that some don't have the optimal amount of clearance around the resonator? Without more details, who knows?

Do you have the smaller or larger resonator? The smaller resonator fixes any clearance issues (that's obvious just based on size.) If the cause is internal, the smaller one probably fixes the problem but without knowing the cause, only time will tell based on user's experiences.
Most of the time we see the resonators fail due to deleting cats and the extra heat starts to degrade the resonator, other times it is just a manufacture defect in the resonator...we don't see a bunch of them...but it does happen!

Last edited by ALTA_JOHNL; 12-23-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
John, thanks for posting that. Your answer is appreciated!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
John, thanks for posting that. Your answer is appreciated!
LOL This is actually Jarid. I just noticed after making a vendor announcement I forgot to log "john" off and log "jarid" in! But I'm glad to help!!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
thanks for the replies ALTA. well i dont plan on doing any cat deletes or anything, so hopefully it doesnt happen. but if it does ill be in touch with you guys. installing it this weekend hopefully, depends if i get the car back in time cuz im having the notorious "failed thermostat or fan" problem! ill post progress here.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Minut
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kcle730
when i switched my stock exhaust for a JCW exhaust, i heard/saw no difference in HP gain. BUT because of the lighter weight of the JCW, it feels so much better/faster

LOL about the scale! gotta get a pics of that!!! Lol!
When I made the switch from stock to JCW, I could swear I felt an improved throttle response.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
improved throttle response is possible... probably just because of the increased air flow. id assume that an intake will give better throttle response though.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
FOLLOW UP TO MY PREVIOUS POST!!!!!!!!

just got my alta exhaust on, sounds great!! nice n deep, no drone, good fitment and easy install. had my exhaust guy install it. the only thing we did extra was weld on an extra support as the exhaust did wiggle around quite a bit. my only complain now is that the tips do shake when idk... but no big deal really! overall, nice exhaust! now i just hope my resonator doesnt go bad!
i also dont hear the "jet like" sound at high rpms, but maybe thats just because i also had a 15% pulley and dinan intake installed today so all i hear at those rpm's is the s/c

Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
What kind of "extra support" was welded on? Any pictures? Glad you like it

Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
ill take pics and post it up tomorrow.

correction though... drove it on the freeway, and there is a tad bit of drone, not annoying or anything, probably just as much as stock except a deeper tone. but yup, its running good and nice.

Ill post pics up of the exact way i installed it tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
So, i started getting the rattle in my resonator. I know i have no clearance issues because i checked. Sent an email to ALTA and im hoping that we can work it out. I love the exhaust and the sound, but the rattle is killing me! I also realized that my left tip has started to turn somewhat goldish, which was expected due to heat, but i always figured the right tip would get it first, just found that interesting. Anyways, looking to hear from ALTA soon.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
The left tip is where the majority of the exhaust gas is flowing so that it why it will get dirty and or discolor first.

I have an oval tip and the left side of it gets dirtier than the right side. I think it would be good to paint the inside (of either the standard or oval tip) black, but I am not sure the best way to do that to have it be durable and look good. I wish Alta would have made them that way to begin with. Some of the photos of tips for the r56 exhaust look like they are made that way.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
Yea, i think ALTA could make a new generation of this exhaust, and improve on just a few minor things and really have it be a big hit. Talking to Chris at ALTA now, they are being great about it. Very good customer service. I have no complaints at all about the exhaust, discoloration of tips happens. i was at a local car meet and a ferrari f430 had discoloration on its tips, so i cant complain about that. I love the exhaust.

On another note, i do still get quite a bit of the "glitter" on my rear window, and the exhaust has been on my car for about a month now, normal? How long usually before that stops? thanks for the input.
-Andrew

Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
If you get a replacement resonator, I am guessing you will get the smaller one. Let us know what you think about it. I haven't seen anyone else write about it.
I never experienced the "glitter on rear window". Are you sure it is from the exhaust and not from something else?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Nelson Costa
1st Gear
Cat-back MILLTEK

Hello!
Has anyone installed on the MINI Cooper S R53 the Cat-back Milltek with silencer and Manifold stock? Can you install? What were the gains in HP?

Thanks,
Nelson

Old 02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurtster
Ok my first video is really rough and was taken on the way home from Greasy's Garage. What a difference that 17% pulley and exhaust made! You can see the first video here, but I promise much better ones to come. Apparently there are videos/audio of a late model MINI with Stratmosphere, but none of the R53, so I hope to help others by posting many more clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNhvw1Ltk9o
Thanks, Kurtster; you can always do well by visiting Pete!

Anyone have additional clips of an R53 with the Stratmosphere exhaust?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
If you get a replacement resonator, I am guessing you will get the smaller one. Let us know what you think about it. I haven't seen anyone else write about it.
I never experienced the "glitter on rear window". Are you sure it is from the exhaust and not from something else?
Yes, it will be the smaller on. it got shipped out yesterday, should have it by tuesday. i plan on doin a before and after, just to see the difference. And yea, im sure its from the exhaust, happened right after i installed it, but its actually stopped now, so im guessing the exhaust is broken in. we will see if it starts again with the new resonator coming in.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Radu_EAU
Neutral
I've just install a new (custom) exhaust on my MCS: no cat + fake O2 sensor + carbon silencer! On dyno it showed a 6whp gain!
The sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7DHFxXuBU

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
^ thats pretty darn loud, practically a straight pipe. Good sound though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc