Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
CRRIKEY
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an OBX header with borla sport/street catback exhaust, i was unhappy with the sound, and wanted to go a little louder. so i bought the Palo-Uber rear valance, and two 2"inlet and outlet x12"long glass packs and cut the borla cans off. Didnt take very long, and it looked and sounded great....but it was a little too loud so i went and bought a 2 1/4"Inlet and outlet x12"long glass pack, and put it in before the exhaust splits. I LOVE IT, the sound is amazing. Ill post pics from underneath and sound clips later ...PS the 3 glass packs totaled to about $110

Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
That looks great!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 PM
RAPI
2nd Gear
That looks stuning!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Invidia Cat Back with OBX Header and Stock Cat Exhaust Clip

I know before I went ahead and did this I found it hard to find videos or sound clips of this combo, so I finally decided to make my own. The sound quality isn't the best, as it was just shot on a point and shoot camera, but you get the idea. No making fun of the out of sync audio or weird shifting. I forgot to turn off DSC (Tripped on second gear shift) and I was more concerned with making sure the camera didn't go flying and break (it was stuck in between the headrest) than proper form .

Here's the link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9egyHkdMXcQ
Enjoy!

Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
Blueflame Exhaust pics and video

Recently changed my exhaust setup to use cooper non-s aero bumper with custom cutouts

Using Blueflame exhaust:

The way it was:

The way it is now:

I've also removed the rear mini badge - had to fill holes and paint. I’d already done this to the front last year. I'm waiting for paint to cure before adding stripes back. Also will be painting the arches satin black soon. Personally I’m not that smitten with body color/gloss black/matt black/or the cheap plastic finish of arches so black satin for me - coming soon. I also finally have a video of the exhaust revving so here’s that too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfpE8MayRI

Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
I recently picked up a 04 MCS and would like to do the One Ball mod. I have access to a full race shop with mandrel bender, & all the welding equipment you could ask for. (My father in law is seriously cool.) I would like to manufacture my own connector pipe. I feel like $125 is a lot of money for a foot & a half of tubing. I peeked under the car & noticed that the tube from the cat & the tube connecting the 2 resonators look to be different widths.
Does anyone know where I can get the specs on the stock exhaust tubing diameters and wall thicknesses?
Possibly a detailed How To?
If none exist I will make sure to write one up when I do the conversion.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I know before I went ahead and did this I found it hard to find videos or sound clips of this combo, so I finally decided to make my own. The sound quality isn't the best, as it was just shot on a point and shoot camera, but you get the idea. No making fun of the out of sync audio or weird shifting. I forgot to turn off DSC (Tripped on second gear shift) and I was more concerned with making sure the camera didn't go flying and break (it was stuck in between the headrest) than proper form .

Here's the link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9egyHkdMXcQ
Enjoy!
HELL YEAH! Can't wait to install mine!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
MINI_Mark
1st Gear
Here's my contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PikDqNYIro

It's the one-ball setup. Not bad for $65. The video is kinda poor, i shot it with a point and shoot camera. The video doesn't seem to capture the bass. In a parking lot there's a nice deep bass drone when the pedal is slightly pressed in. The burble sounds good, the exhaust note as well. It's not too loud either, my supercharger whine drowns it out easily, and with the windows up and radio on it's hard to tell any difference. It just seems a little louder and a lot deeper.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
MidnightDave
5th Gear
Just wanted to post this, and the group buy thread's gone...Blake at Race by Design was awesome, I highly recommend him for all your performance parts.

I can't say enough good things about Dan at GrassRoots Garage either, who just put the Invidia exhaust on, and it's awesome--welds are beautiful, blue tips moreso, and the sound is great. Not too loud inside, (the CAI is louder under full throttle), and the BUUURRRBBBBLLLEEE is awesome with this exhaust!

Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
MidnightDave
5th Gear

Who gets tired of looking at pics of MINI race cars? Not me! ;-)

Old 05-05-2007, 09:47 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Has anyone heard of the TC Sportline Burnout series exhaust? Its listed on ebay for $300. I don't think that was mentioned in this thread yet...is it a legit system, or at least a legit company?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 AM
thë_cöpi
2nd Gear
Invidia cat-back exhaust installed!

I received the Invidia exhaust for my MCS a week ago and installed it last Saturday. It looked so nice I almost hung it on the wall. It fit perfectly and it sounds great! We did a MINI rally last Sunday and I was loving every sound coming out of the exhaust. The off-throttle burble sounds even better too! I'm told that it is a little more aggressive sounding than the Milltek cat-back. (and about $100-$150 less too)

Next up is a header and ECU tune....

Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
does anybody know if i can cut off the tips of the Invidia and then put on JCW ones?

Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Looking at the JCW piping toward the tips, it looks like you could probably swap the Invidia tips for the JCW ones. It might need a little custom work if it doesn't meld together smoothly obviously. I like that idea. Personally, I'm not too wild about the smoldering blue-tip look, but thats just my preference.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
i was just going to ask who would want to do that? its not a JCW exhaust so unless you just really like JCW that much or just really hate the titanium tips that much i wouldnt waste my money.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
BTW the more i look at the Invidia the MORE i want it. Too bad i missed out on the group buy. And unfortunately by the time i get the money they wont still be selling them at that price, but by that time they may have another group buy!

Old 05-13-2007, 02:45 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIFVR
Looking at the JCW piping toward the tips, it looks like you could probably swap the Invidia tips for the JCW ones. It might need a little custom work if it doesn't meld together smoothly obviously. I like that idea. Personally, I'm not too wild about the smoldering blue-tip look, but thats just my preference.
well i never really had a problem with the smoldering look i kinda liked it just because of the shapes of the tips.
and what kind of work are you talking about?

Originally Posted by IrishCooper
i was just going to ask who would want to do that? its not a JCW exhaust so unless you just really like JCW that much or just really hate the titanium tips that much i wouldnt waste my money.
its not that i like one or hate the other, i like them both, its that being that my parents particularly my mom drive the car while im at school she doesnt like the look and asked if we could keep stock tips so the trade off for both of us is JCW tips
and the funny thing is, it costs more money, but she complains about how much im already spending

Old 05-13-2007, 04:42 PM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
well i never really had a problem with the smoldering look i kinda liked it just because of the shapes of the tips.
and what kind of work are you talking about?

its not that i like one or hate the other, i like them both, its that being that my parents particularly my mom drive the car while im at school she doesnt like the look and asked if we could keep stock tips so the trade off for both of us is JCW tips
and the funny thing is, it costs more money, but she complains about how much im already spending
Well I doubt the JCW tips would fit perfectly onto the existing Invidia piping right were the tips begin, so you might need to use some small pieces of S/S tubing or aluminized steel to make the JCW tips fit. I wouldn't do this (too much of a pain for me), but I just threw it out there.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:46 PM
6th Gear
does anybody know if i can cut off the tips of the Invidia and then put on JCW ones?
The Invidia tips are riveted onto the actual exhaust.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:48 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIFVR
FYI the Skunk2 exhaust is identical to the Invidia in every way except the tips are normal (And the price is a bit steeper).

Old 05-13-2007, 04:50 PM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I haven't heard much about the Skunk2 exhaust...is it a good system? How does it sound based on what you've read/heard, if anything?

Old 05-13-2007, 06:05 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
yea what do you mean exactly? when you say "normal tips"

Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
yea what do you mean exactly? when you say "normal tips"
Read the post again - hes comparing the skunk2 to the invidia. He's saying the two are identical except for the tips. Soooo being that the tips on the Invidia are blue like we all know then you would have to assume that the skunk2 is not blue hence "normal"

Originally Posted by rustyboy155
FYI the Skunk2 exhaust is identical to the Invidia in every way except the tips are normal (And the price is a bit steeper).
BTW I just bolted on my Invidia exhaust today and man do those tips look sweet on a hyper blue car. Wow and the sounds is just right, it hits that really sweet spot at about 3500 and keeps going to redline. Very nice stuff and priced very reasonably.
To Invidia

Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
well anybody have pics of a skunk2 exhaust?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:21 PM
6th Gear
well anybody have pics of a skunk2 exhaust?
It's exactly the same, just has stainless tips. Invidia makes the exhaust for them, they mark it up by $100-$150 and swap the tips out to stainless steel .

Video Clip

Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc