Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 06:10 AM
IntegraRC
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyriian
i wouldnt trust any claims by manufacturer, most likely you'd see 10 hp gains with a host of other mods, or just simply ideal conditions that can't be replicated in the real world
that's why i said "THEY claim"

Old 10-26-2004, 11:25 PM
mamiko
Neutral
JCW exhaust question

how does the JCW stack up to a Borla Street? I have been offered a JCW for less that $600...is this a good deal? Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Showvan
1st Gear
If you want a real special exhaust get the S/E dual exit Stainless Steel out of England, this is a great system, it is very pricey and costly to ship.

See more info on it at a thread on Euro 2004

Claims 10 bhp increase, I took of a Borla and added this one you can feel it.

On The Edge

Old 12-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Something to watch for...

Originally Posted by JP Money
Remus makes one for the MCS. Here are 2 pics. I found some sound clips. They're on this web site.

I'd love to see dyno numbers here. Having the two exits of the mufflers point at each other is a no-no unless there are internal baffles in that center section. The exhaust pulses will collide and have heavy turbulence. They have to come out the tips based on being forced out, as opposed to flowing out via a smooth turn. I can't see any evidence of welds that would indicate an internal baffle to re-direct the gas.

If anyone has numbers, post em up! I'm real curious if the design flaw makes any real world difference.

Matt

Old 12-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The butt dyno says.....

Originally Posted by Thameth
Hey where did you guys get that the one ball system (cut up stock) only gains 1hp? http://www.fasttoy.com/fb18.html has a dyno done locally showing 9 hp. I want to do this soon on a dynojet and get before and after also to show any gains.
I'm curious too. I did the one-ball and with the MTH and the HAI, there was a very NOTICABLE difference in low end. Heck, I drove up the hill to my home (1300 ft in elevation in about 3 miles) at 1800 RPM in 5th! I'd never been able to do that. But this isn't really very quantified..... I'm sure my *** could use some calibration!

Matt

Old 12-06-2004, 11:22 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thameth Hey where did you guys get that the one ball system (cut up stock) only gains 1hp? http://www.fasttoy.com/fb18.html has a dyno done locally showing 9 hp. I want to do this soon on a dynojet and get before and after also to show any gains.
Randy posted it quite a while ago, I believe.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Detonics
3rd Gear
REMUS Exhaust

Hey guys,

Just wondering. where can I get the REMUS exhaust for my MCS?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:21 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
I'm having one put on by Turnermotorsports in Amesbury,Mass on Jan 6,2005

www.turnermotorsports.com. check earlier in this thread for a link to the Remus website and select "find dealer"
Originally Posted by Detonics
Hey guys,

Just wondering. where can I get the REMUS exhaust for my MCS?

Old 12-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Detonics
3rd Gear
holdenontoit,

thanks for the link. So how do you like the remus exhaust. I believe that the system is not that loud isnt it.

perhaps do you have any sound clip of your car?

Old 12-18-2004, 11:03 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
um like i said earlier ,I'm having this install done on Jan 6. for sound clips, go to post # 25 on this thread and click on the link.Also, I have been in touch with luifer(post #24) who has the system installed. He loves it!And yes, the system is not much LOUDER than stock, but quite different.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/promo/...ec_remus_hear/

Old 12-28-2004, 12:37 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Which of the exhausts are emissions/CARB legal? Dinan seems to be the only one with info...albeit one state short of a 50 state emissions legal exhaust...probably my state, California. Damn.

Anyway, could ABT or someone add which are road and which are race use only? Not that you guys haven't put together an INCREDIBLY informative thread yet...

Old 12-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Any sound clips of the S/E Dual Exit exhaust? Looks like a promising system...

Old 01-03-2005, 09:28 AM
col3man
Neutral
There needs to be a new ..controled environment recording of all the exhausts to get a real sence of the differnce in sound, all the videos are done in differnt conditions... its too back no companys have done this :P... oh well..right

Old 01-05-2005, 07:18 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Remus is INNNNN!

I take it back......LOUDER THAN STOCK! (Can anyone give me a hint as to how to post a sound clip?) Butt dyno says that I have more HP, that the response is much smoother, and low end torque is increased.I'll post pics of the VERY cool pipes soon, they are quite different than what I had been led to believe,sorta like LARGE version of OEM ( with all the small perforations that Remus seems to use in most of their systems.) Initial response to this system is a rousing

Originally Posted by holdenontoit
um like i said earlier ,I'm having this install done on Jan 6. for sound clips, go to post # 25 on this thread and click on the link.Also, I have been in touch with luifer(post #24) who has the system installed. He loves it!And yes, the system is not much LOUDER than stock, but quite different.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/promo/...ec_remus_hear/

Old 01-05-2005, 08:51 AM
rajron
3rd Gear
Which of the exhausts are emissions/CARB legal?
How do most of you guys get away with not fulfilling these requirements?
I want to change my exhaust but want to comply with the law – What systems are legal?
Is it only the cat backs?
Or one ball?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rajron
I want to change my exhaust but want to comply with the law – What systems are legal?
Or one ball?
Well us lucky ones in Florida don't have emissions testing of any kind so we can do what we want heheh

Old 01-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
Well us lucky ones in Florida don't have emissions testing of any kind so we can do what we want heheh
That's why its great to live in Florida... Anyone have a sound clip of straight through exhaust (no cats, resonators, mufflers) ?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Be careful with what you buy...

Or one ball?
Or keep the stock system around. I did a one-ball, and I'm in CA, and TECHNICALLY I'm in violation of the law. My exhaust guy offered the resonator for me to take home, but I tossed it. I'm betting the stock tips, the Mini on what's left, and the standard education of the inspection staff will keep me safe!

But it you're really worried, get only 50-state approved stuff, or keep the stock parts to bolt back on, or just live with the law.

I'm not too worried, and I know that some of the mods make the car more efficient too.

Matt

Old 01-08-2005, 05:48 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
Matt;

I’m curious; if you were to do all over again, would you have done the one-ball, or purchase an aftermarket cat-back. Let me rephrase, was economics the main factor with your choice to do the one-ball?

rajron

Old 01-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The only thing I'd have changed.....

Matt;

I’m curious; if you were to do all over again, would you have done the one-ball, or purchase an aftermarket cat-back. Let me rephrase, was economics the main factor with your choice to do the one-ball?

rajron
The only thing I would have changed is that I would have done it earlier :smile: I'm very, very happy. There are others who want to change the sound to some specific sound, but I'm not one of them. It's lighter, it flows better, and I don't think you really need to spend the $ on a higher flow system until you've unlocked other parts of the airflow. On a $/ unit increase, I don't think you can do better than the one-ball, MTH and the Hot Air Intake. So that's what I did. Since the pully is about $400 with install, it's not as cheap, although I love that as well. I didn't do it because the total $ were cheap, but I couldn't see spending over $500 for such little gain from an exhaust system.

If I port my head, add a header and the like, I still think I won't get one. I could cut out the battery box, go with a 2.5" straight pipe to a flowmaster or the like. I think that would still be less expensive than an aftermarket system, and it would flow better than them all.

Matt

Old 01-09-2005, 08:50 AM
03BlueMINIS
Neutral
Megan Racing ????

Has anyone seen and heard this catback system from Megan Racing?
www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=312
The system looks great and is priced below most others.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:52 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-31-2005, 05:57 AM
danish
1st Gear
Originally Posted by talent7
I don't think an audio clip is needed for the Borla Street system. Just listen to the stock NMS system, and you've pretty much got it. I will say, that I preceive the Borla to be quiter at freeway speeds and there is less 4-cylinder "buzz" from the Borla over the stock. This is the system MINI should have installed as stock. With the rear seats folded down or the windows open, I can hear a slight "popping" or "burble" from the exhaust when lifting off the throttle. This I never noticed with the stock. Oh, and by the way...the Borla mufflers are better hidden above the rear body work than stock, and the pipe tips look great and do not change color. The system "grows" when hot, so the tips stick out about 1/2" more until that long straight segment of stainless cools down.
I liked your review of your Borla Street Exhaust.
I am looking for a less restrictive exhaust than the stock and with a suttle but not noicy sound.
As much as I like the Milltek I am concerned that it is a little too noicy for around town driving.
Are you still happy with your Borla? Can the tips be adhusted so they do not stick out too far.?
Thanks,
danish

Old 02-27-2005, 10:17 PM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
Would cutting the resonator out of the JCW exhaust increase flow, and maybe even power?

Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by WindMeUp
Would cutting the resonator out of the JCW exhaust increase flow, and maybe even power?
Modifying any exhaust system can potentially cause changes resulting in gain or loss of power and in increasing or decreasing exhaust loudness. What will occur is anyone's guess since no one has tested the changes before and after.

Removing a resonator would reduce weight and may lead to a louder exhaust note. There could be less restriction to flow but that would depend on the rest of the muffler design. What will you do if you found you have lost power?

Since the JCW exhaust is part of the JCW kit most owners would want to keep it intact (more value) along with their warranty.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc