Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 05:59 AM
MiamiE
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would result from adding a header system to a MCS with the stock exhaust system and an Alta intake? would not having an exhaust system affect the performance of the header system? what header system do you all recommend?

Old 02-28-2005, 08:27 AM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
I'll probably do a dyno run with the resonator in, have it cut out, and have a straight pipe clamped in; dyno it again with the resonator out and see how it effects the power, if it is a power loss, I will just clamp the resonator back in. Do you really think it would effect the value that much?

Old 02-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not that easy....

Originally Posted by WindMeUp
I'll probably do a dyno run with the resonator in, have it cut out, and have a straight pipe clamped in; dyno it again with the resonator out and see how it effects the power, if it is a power loss, I will just clamp the resonator back in. Do you really think it would effect the value that much?
There's also the issue of the adaptive tuning of the ECU, and the weight savings. Since you're dropping a bit over 20 lbs, you can have about 1-2 hp LOSS and still have the same HP/Weight ratio.

Just some things to think about......

Matt

Old 02-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
No answer to that one!

Think of all of these items as resistors in an electrical circuit. Taking out one resistor only really effect the circuit if it is a change in total resistance. So, you may get some benefit from a header without an exhaust system, but you're also probably not going to get the full benefit unless you have a less restrictive exhaust that can take advantange of the improved header.

Matt

ps, there is no agreed best exhaust. May have tone concerns, some with total volume. Also tuned exhausts can be tuned for many effects. So the questing is better asked "what is the best exhaust for XXX type of driving", and then you'll still get the answer I wrote

Originally Posted by MiamiE
what would result from adding a header system to a MCS with the stock exhaust system and an Alta intake? would not having an exhaust system affect the performance of the header system? what header system do you all recommend?

Old 03-01-2005, 07:10 AM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
There's also the issue of the adaptive tuning of the ECU, and the weight savings. Since you're dropping a bit over 20 lbs, you can have about 1-2 hp LOSS and still have the same HP/Weight ratio.

Just some things to think about......

Matt
Thanks for the input

Old 03-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
One-ball Exhaust - information Update

I emailed FAST TOYS who have on their website that the One Ball produces 9hp w/ Dyno graph.

Since I am looking for an exhaust system and found this number to be impressive I contacted them - asking if the Mini had any other modifications and they came back saying that the Mini did have a free flow air.

So 9hp = One Ball exhaust + free flow air !

Old 03-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear
I may have overlooked it, but does anyone have a sound clip of the One-Ball mod? I'm interested in doing it and I'd love to hear it first.

Thanks..

Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Hi All,

If anyone in the So Cal area is looking for an exhaust system to try the One-Ball mod on, I have a brand new exhaust system that was just taken off of my 2005 MCS (with only 80 miles on the clock) that I'm trying to get rid of. Since the 05's are a better sounding exhaust system than the previous years, it might be a great starting point for the One-Ball mod. Here's a link to the Marketplace thread for the exhaust system:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=39862

Old 03-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
No sound clip....

Originally Posted by Calvin77
I may have overlooked it, but does anyone have a sound clip of the One-Ball mod? I'm interested in doing it and I'd love to hear it first.

Thanks..
but a guy I sold some parts to heard it and said it sounded like stock. It's a bit louder, and with no ressonator, you get an occational pop or burble (no problem there for me). But I also have the HAI, MTH and the VGS, so some of the poping and burbling may have other causes.....

Inside the car it's a bit louder too, but not too much. But with my list of mods (which are pretty mild), my hands free kit doesn't like the higher RPM bands! Oh well, the price of power.....

Matt

Old 04-06-2005, 09:24 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Is there a thread on like this, but for the MC?

I tried to search, but only came up with a few sounds scattered around.

Steve

Old 04-19-2005, 05:50 PM
gollygwagen
Extra resonator on Magnaflow

I have the Magnaflow exhaust and love the nice deep tone but it was a touch loud and could drone on the highway. I stopped by a local muffler shop and looked at what they had. I needed to keep the resonator pretty small so that it would fit up in the area the exhaust is run. That left me with the 4" dia. body resonator which meant that the biggest I could go was 12" long and a 2" in/out. They flared it to 2-1/4" and it fit inside the exhisting pipe. It's a free flow design so I wasn't sure it would be enough, but it quieted down nicely without loosing a good sound when wrapped up. It took out much of the highs and it seems a little deeper. I've lost most the drone on the highway and the idle is nice and quiet.

As a note, a 2-1/2" in/out would be better and you could fit a 18" long body in there pretty easy. All the ones at the shop like that had a 6" dia. body though which I don't think would have fit up in there and would have hung pretty low.

I'll post this on the exhaust thread u
I wanted to report what I had done. I actually happened accross a Mini owner yesterday on accident that had a Borla Street and was intereted in trading -after- I tried the extra resonator if I didn't like it. The Borla was really nice and quiet, and I was happy to have a fall back. However I'm pretty happy with the result and will stay with the Magnaflow.

I stopped by a local shop and looked at what they had. I needed to keep the resonator pretty small so that it would fit up in the area the exhaust is run. That left me with the 4" body resonator which meant that the biggest I could go was 12" long and a 2" in/out. They flared it to 2-1/4" and it fit inside the exhisting pipe. It's a free flow design so I wasn't sure it would be enough, but it quieted down nicely without loosing a good sound when wrapped up. It took out much of the highs and it seems a little deeper. I've lost most the drone on the highway and the idle is nice and quiet.

As a note, a 2-1/2" in/out would be better and you could fit a 18" long body in there pretty easy. All the ones at the shop like that had a 6" dia. body though which I don't think would have fit up in there and would have hung pretty low.

I took some video before/after reving in the drive for reference. I'll see if I can put ssomething together and hopefully you can hear the difference. Not sure if it captured the change.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:21 PM
gollygwagen
Well, I played them back to back and it just didn't sound any different on the clip. It's odd since it seems so much quieter! Sorry I can't back up my findings, but it really is quieter.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 AM
PressurizedMini
1st Gear
Does no one have a audio clip of the one-ball? I really would like to do this mod but I want to hear it first.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:59 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From what ive heard (pardon the pun ) the One Ball is just a louder stock sounding system.

My question is about the Borla. I want to get it, but im concerned it may be too loud. I liked the sound on the clip, but for thoes who drive with the Borla Sport, do you like the sound or is it a bit too ricey?

Old 05-02-2005, 09:54 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mielnicki
Is there a thread on like this, but for the MC?

I tried to search, but only came up with a few sounds scattered around.

Steve
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9416#post59416

I started this one two years ago when I was exhaust shopping. I'm not sure how much of the info is changed or how many of the links still work, and it predates the site update so you have to sift through all the ""gt" stuff, but... there you go.

Personally I think it's pretty lame that there's a sticky thread about S exhausts but not about Cooper exhausts. Much of the serious mod crowd on this forum regards modding the Cooper as a pointless enterprise, so we have to dig a bit deeper for information.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:59 PM
cooprd
4th Gear
I had the same question.
What mods can I put on my MC.

Just had the Borla Exhaust installed (thanks James).
Sounds great!
I'm still smiling and now my MINI is smiling too.

Also installed Power Slots, Green Brakes and
Cobalt Intake (minus the bracket, I have the CVT).

Just looking for the right road to let her go!

Old 05-04-2005, 06:38 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Just came back from my Milltek cat back install...sweeeeeeeeeet. I'll never play the radio again.(except for Packer games)

Old 05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that feeling, dont play the radio/cd much ever...love the symphony of sounds from this car

Maybe i'll hear you round town :smile:

Old 05-04-2005, 07:08 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
You gotta be kidding. Two Two mini households in the same burg. Sorry all, last reference. No Hijack intended.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:28 PM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Milltek Drive By

The only Milltek video shows the car in a driveway. Does anybody have sound clips of the Milltek, both as a drive-by and a fly-by?

Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 AM
flashback
1st Gear
Great Exhaust

Thanks to everyone for thier great input and sound clips. Just a word about improved HP with exhaust changes. I don't think the major criteria for changing exhaust should be H.P. You don't get that much increase in most of these systems. Remember most of these published HP gains are sales oriented stats from the people who designed or are selling the systems. The testing is far from standardized and the cars are not standardized so comparing HP gains is really comparing an apple grown in Washintom to a pineapple grown in Hawaii. Doesn't make sense. Not every car tested came off the line the same year, they probably all have different mods and tweeks, the ambient temp/elevation/humidity was not standardized and you know the dinos are all different. Point is HP ratings are very subjective. In addition it doesn't take into consideration the changes in the torque curve of the car which for me was much more improved than HP with my Dinan set up. Just a lot wider torque cure, more usable torque all acrosss the range. No more low end stumble and a bit less downshifting around town. (To be fair, I admit I also have all the other Dinan Signature Series Mods on the car)
A word about the Dinan set up. No it isn't a remake of any other system. It is enginerred from the ground up to work with the mods sold by Dinan. If you don't improve throttle body diameter, air intake volumne and temp and ECU you can't optimize performance from an exhaust change. So unless you are going to increase those parameters, exhaust, in my mind, is about getting the sound you like and maybe a nice pairs of tips! (Hummmmm)
Anyway I like the Dinan cause it does't pop, just a subtle deep burble when you get out of the throttle. No drone on the hiway at all. I can listen to valium rock or clasical cello on the stereo at high speeds without interference from the exhaust and when I get into the throttle hard it will drown out Metalica at high decibels. A nice combination of Deep tones on a background of banshee like screams.
Downside to Dinan: Rt tip collects more soot than left tip, = darker inside
Fix= Spray inside of left tip with flat black paint. Picky-picky-picky
Lots of good systems out there. Go to meets/functions, listen to different systems and if poss. drive/ride in some to get real feel. Don't buy for advertised HP ratings. Buy for the sound, fit, finish, looks and gut feeling. Remember most of your time is spent not looking at it but listening to/feeling it from your drivers seat. Just my $.02 enjoy

Old 06-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Green Giant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by webstrands
The only Milltek video shows the car in a driveway. Does anybody have sound clips of the Milltek, both as a drive-by and a fly-by?
I'm curious as well.
Specifically, is there anyone out there with a 05 MCS and Milltek cat-back, and can share their "sonic experience" with us??

Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 AM
minigolf
3rd Gear
Couresty of Berthil from MINI2, a new Milltek clip.

Originally Posted by Berthil

Turn up your volume!
(8 Mb, for good playback may be first save to your disk)

Old 07-10-2005, 02:26 PM
inmimini
2nd Gear
why hard

why do you say hard to remove stock exhaust? i will be doing this sometime this week
Originally Posted by miniraider
hey guys i did not think changing the exhaust would make that big of diffrence!
i was surprised to see how much the cars power changes and better it realy performes, i got the borla race and it was easy to install but removing the old exhaust was not so easy..........highly recomand that you change the exhaust system...........

Old 08-14-2005, 02:58 AM
minigolf
3rd Gear
2004 MCS fitted with Milltek cat back and ALTA CAI

Right click, save as...
1. Milltek starting up 3.8mb
2. Milltek idle/revs 01 : 2.2mb
3. Milltek drives 01 : 2.6mb

Attached Thumbnails Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc-32091956-m.jpg   Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc-32092019-m.jpg  

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Your MCS exhaust reference thread. Videos. Sound clips. etc