Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain feedback on ebay exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:02 AM
termite
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
feedback on ebay exhaust

does anyone have any info or impressions on this stainless exhaust that i see on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Old 06-29-2004, 04:34 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Looks like a nice system but the person doesn't say who the manufacturer is at least I didn't see any reference to such. Also keep in mind that shipping that puppie any considerable distance outside California won't be cheap. That item shipped to the east coast would run you at least $100 just to ship. The package would exceed UPS regulations so it would have to travel common carrier. Ask the seller for the name of the manufacturer and the weight of the item before making any decisions.:smile:

Old 06-29-2004, 04:58 AM
fueledbymetal
3rd Gear
That's an awesome deal! I doubt shipping will be that much - shipping for my Scorpion exhaust from VT to MD was only ~$38.

If I didn't already have an exhast, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. All MINI exhausts should be only $350. My only concern is that the seller has a "0" feedback rating...

Old 06-29-2004, 05:27 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
From the picture, it looks awfully similar to the Rspeed Type 2 (slash tips) that's been discussed here for a month or so. If you look at the details further down, the seller is asking for $85 to ship within the US.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:43 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I agree looks just like the Rspeed.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:52 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
appears identical to the RSpeed Type 2 exhaust I have on my car right now. The idiot who took that picture mounted the front pipe backwards and mounted the Y-pipe upside-down!!!it's a nice exhaust but has some fitment issues in my case...check performance mods thread titled R-Speed cat-back.

M

Old 06-29-2004, 12:40 PM
RLmini
3rd Gear
Looks like a great deal! However I tried to acces the sellers web site which is www.maccar,com and the site is down. It looks like they are a dealer and not a manufacturer for sports compact parts. With the web site down I might worry that they are out of business. 0 feedback score doesn't look good either. maybe this is a going out of business sale.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:00 PM
RLmini
3rd Gear
Here is a nice looking S/S header for $260

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...906874749&rd=1

Old 06-29-2004, 05:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
[QUOTE=RLmini]Here is a nice looking S/S header for $260

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33614&item=7906874 749&rd=1[/QUOTE]

Nice looking or not it is a racing exhaust header that lacks a cat converter. Therefore it is NOT street legal.

Further dyno testing from various sources show that these race headers don't do much if anything for measureable power gains while they do allow for much more exhaust noise.

Buyer beware.

For exhausts- shipping costs can be very high due to oversized boxes and packing costs.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:12 PM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
its easy to forget that we "non-business" enthusiasts do not get the same shipping rates as vendors. First off, if you are a business and do a lot of shipping, you open an account with a shipper. What this does is (overall) lowers your rates to ship items.

As a consumer, if you want to ship something, you have to go to Office Depot, Mailboxes Etc, or some other shipper which charges you regular shipping fees PLUS their add-ons to make money, and the consumer pays a lot more.

So a company shipping an exhaust may only charge you forty bucks, but a consumer shipping that same item might have to pay 100 bucks to ship it.

I would also steer clear of anyone selling anything on ebay costing more than $100 with zero feedback. Too many fraud cases. Be very wary, and i'm interested in seeing how that specific auction turns out.

-ABT-

Old 06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
RLmini
3rd Gear
I just saw the same system for sale by someone else with a "buy it now" price of $300. This guy does have a feedback score of 91.7 I sent an email to the seller and was told shipping to Texas would be $50.00, so I guess they are willing to vary the shipping costs. here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33630

Old 06-30-2004, 08:15 PM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
interesting....

the shipping listed shows $85, same as the other guy - perhaps it is the same guy? I wonder why he would print his feedback as proof of honesty, yet he has a glaring negative feedback left for him.... also interesting.

maybe this is the same guy that was selling those whistles for your exhaust - the kind that make it "sound like a turbo".

-ABT-

Old 06-30-2004, 08:41 PM
RLmini
3rd Gear
I looked at some of the other stuff he is and has sold. I didn't see any whisleing exhausts but did see some nice systems for Audi's and BMW's. His email to me was very professional. A guy in our club (Metroplexmini.org) is trying to get a goup buy going. I can't imagine getting them for less than 300 but maybe we will save on shipping:smile:

Old 06-30-2004, 09:04 PM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
well $300 for a Cooper S exhaust is trick, you can't beat that.

If you get that, go with it.
Let us know how the exhaust sounds, who makes it, and hp gains too if you can.

Cheers
-ABT-

Old 07-01-2004, 08:49 AM
freda8597
Neutral
Looks like the same guy!

Originally Posted by RLmini
I just saw the same system for sale by someone else with a "buy it now" price of $300. This guy does have a feedback score of 91.7 I sent an email to the seller and was told shipping to Texas would be $50.00, so I guess they are willing to vary the shipping costs. here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33630
It's the same picture, the same ad words, same shipping cost.
It is strange that the first guy has been a member of ebay for a long time but
has had zero buys/sells.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:25 AM
termite
1st Gear
exhaust update

email exchange w/ one of the two guys selling this system reveals that it is made by N-1 Performance and Engineering....n-1 seems to make a lot of wrx and rice related go fast stuff and the comments from users seem to indicate quality workmanship, low noise, no drone, and most of all, no ping ping ping honda accord w/ a $99 stainless grapefruit shooter sound [!] any comments?

Old 07-02-2004, 12:45 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by termite
does anyone have any info or impressions on this stainless exhaust that i see on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Where do these guys get this stuff? Why aren't our VENDORS selling this stuff at more reasonable prices. This just goes to show that unless this stuff is stolen out of the back of a truck somewhere there is still a profit margin at these prices. Free enterprize don't ya love it, No BS.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Traveler
3rd Gear
Ok so this one has been kicking around for a couple of weeks now. Has anyone actually bought one yet? The R Speed model that looks similar has reported fitment problems. There was also one ebay feedback comment about a minor fit issue. $300 bucks is a heck of a deal. Who goes first?

Old 07-21-2004, 06:41 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Traveler
The R Speed model that looks similar has reported fitment problems. There was also one ebay feedback comment about a minor fit issue. $300 bucks is a heck of a deal. Who goes first?
I guess that would be me. Ordered it last night. When it gets here and I install it I'll let you know how it went. Mine is an 04, so I'm expecting to have to rework the inside muffler hangers. Any other fitment/quality/bad smell/karmic overload/geopolitical/spiritual/or blood type issues it provides will be suitably documented along with any efforts the seller makes to set things right if there are problems.

So, I guess, watch this space....

Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
pics and sounds too please

:smile:thanks for being the first

Old 07-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Thanx Spunky! Can't wait to see Pics, Video and Sound!

Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
Here are some pics on my car after initial fitment. I have since aligned the tips and straightened things out a bit, but there is still NO way for me to use to bracket for the front pipe (resonator set too far aft, interferes with bracket), so I cut some of the bracket metal off. Nice and snug now.

Sounds GREAT and looks superb, too.

If someone can host a video clip, I'll post that, too.

Marty

Old 07-21-2004, 12:05 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Life doesn't come with a guaranteed either.

Spunky, MINI owner, risk taker, you are the man!
If I hadn't just bought an exhaust I would have been NEXT.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Traveler
3rd Gear
MartyR,

Is that the R Speed or the Ebay exhaust that you have? Are there an rattles from the misplaced bracket?

Old 07-21-2004, 06:36 PM
MartyR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Traveler
MartyR,

Is that the R Speed or the Ebay exhaust that you have? Are there an rattles from the misplaced bracket?

It's the RSpeed Type 2. No rattles from the bracket in absentia but I cut a small piece of the metal out of the front of the bracket for a more "proper" installation.

I like it so much that, even though Joe @ RSpeed offered to take it back and pay for return shipping (hell of a guy!!!), I wanted to keep it. It's really nicely made - the welds are VERY sturdy and the flanged design (plus some exhaust sealant) make for a pretty nice overall finish. I have to say that for $300 (the ebay exhaust looks identical, absolutely so) it's a STEAL. I paid more than that for the RSpeed prototype.

I will be dynoing this versus the stocker after I get back from Yellowstone (i.e. after August 3)...

Marty

Quick Reply: Drivetrain feedback on ebay exhaust