Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain **Q & A Thread** for Bytetronik FullAccess Tuning Kit - R50/R52/R53

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
**Q & A Thread** for Bytetronik FullAccess Tuning Kit - R50/R52/R53

This is the OFFICIAL "Questions & Answers" thread for the FullAccess (FA) Tuning Kit. If you have legitimate questions, post them here.

If you are not familiar with the FullAccess Tuning Kit, please go to the below thread for more details:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0-r52-r53.html

If you want to find out what Remote Mapping (RM) is all about (must have the FA Tuning Kit in order to subscribe to this service), click on the following link:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rocedures.html

Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by blue2turbo
Quick question, if this is purchased and used on a car, but the owner decides to sell it and go back to stock (which happens quite frequently) can the device be flashed clear so that it can work on the next vehicle or is it a perm. once and done, once it's bonded it will never work on another car period?
We do offer a solution for this: For $100 Service fee, we can RESET the FA Hardware (MINIPort) so it can be used on another R50/R52/R53. You can then resell this FA kit to another person.

In order to get this service, we need both the ECU (that FA was loaded onto originally) and the MINIPort. We will return your ECU back to factory OE form and unload FA from it at the same time.

Last edited by Bytetronik; 08-01-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Newer version of FA (with updated map list)

Finalizing the new release of FA... updated map lists posted here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...217-post4.html

Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
We have just released FA53 Version 3580 on our Tech Forum. Current FA owners can sign on and download this version

There will be a "Demo Version" of FA53 available shortly on our website. Will make the announcement when that's ready.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Just finished Remote Mapping (RM) for a R50 in Europe; another happy customer. In fact, the throttle adjusments on the new FA has exceeded his Sprint Booster and now he plans to sell his SB.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM
C-Lop
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you need a test subject, be sure to look me up... despeartely need a tune but wife says no more money towards the mini... she doesn't get it

Old 08-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by C-Lop
if you need a test subject, be sure to look me up... despeartely need a tune but wife says no more money towards the mini... she doesn't get it
C-Lop: If this was two years ago, then we would have taken you up on your offer. But our product has been on the market for over two years and it has been proven to be a good system all over the world.

Here is just a news flash from our UK Dealer (1320MINI):
Massive congrats to Harvey who won MITP and run a personal best of 13.11@102

To say the day was hot was an understatement. Also the track was very slippy and we all believe theres a strong 12 in the car.We were 0.15-0.18 down in the 60ft due to the track being slick.

60ft 1.85
330ft 5.38
1/8thET 8.35
1/8 MPH 83.03mph
1000ft 10.92
1/4 ET 13.11
1/4 MPH 102.60

Car spec's haven't changed much from the last race,

Stock crank,rods and pistons
Hubie stage 3a head
ARP Rod bolts
1320 CAT camshaft
19% pulley
Watermeth
Quaife Diff
Competition Clutch Super single
M&H 7.5x15 slicks
Tuned by 1320 using the BYTETRONIK FA53 Tuning Kit

Old 08-18-2012, 04:34 PM
C-Lop
4th Gear
I figure I would try. I have been following your threads for years just wouldn't have made sense to use my car as a test since my mods were few and far between then. This is number 2 on my "things to **** my wife off" list. Injectors first. Lol

Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
Just finished Remote Mapping (RM) for a R50 in Europe; another happy customer. In fact, the throttle adjusments on the new FA has exceeded his Sprint Booster and now he plans to sell his SB.
Any more info on the R50 tune? I'm interested in this. Any hp/tq numbers, where any gain is, etc?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Any more info on the R50 tune? I'm interested in this. Any hp/tq numbers, where any gain is, etc?
We will get you some info on the before and after DataLogs and plot them into "virtual dyno" and show you the difference. Customer is in Hungary and we did not use an actual dyno.

Feedback from R50 customer:
Responsiveness is good, I do not want sharper throttle as it will be difficult to drive the car in snow… Let’s keep tune 5 with responsiveness [of throttle settings] of tune 4. The Sprint Booster is off the car. I need to sell it now…

First of all, many thanks to you! I had a “spirited” run on some twisty roads last night, the engine felt really good!

I will be happy to write about my experience with you. But, I am not a member of NAM or MT(?). I am only member of the [Bytetronik Tech] Forum and I do not intend to start registering on other MINI sites.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Is your cam shaft so aggressive that it's causing 'misfiring codes'? And is the car stalling out at idle or cruising to a stop? Well, we have a solution...

FA is now able to 'tame' the more aggressive cam shafts out there... This is how a the 1320MINI CAT Cam sounds at idle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kFiTmoQFSI

The stalling issue has been completely remedied by a FA Remote Mapping Service:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6ztPll2F8

Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 PM
MegaModder
Neutral
Beware, if Bytetronik gets upset with you for any reason they will pull access to their support site and leave you hanging with no support for their product.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Hmm, personally I've never had any problems with them, there were times while they were finishing up all the new software & packages that it took a while to get some answers, but I just figure people get busy sometimes, although I have to admit I do try to be not very demanding on stuff like that compared to some people, sorry to hear that you had problems.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MegaModder
Beware, if Bytetronik gets upset with you for any reason they will pull access to their support site and leave you hanging with no support for their product.
We have hundreds of FA owners worldwide getting great support from us via the Tech Forum. What is your MINIPort serial #? We can look into it and figure out the issue with your case.

Regards.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
As many people here know I've been a long time supporter of these guy's & their product(s), that's certainly no secret, but I wanted to make a comment on something that tends to get lost in the whole "performance tuning" discussion....."everyday"

So we just recently finished up with the tuning for my 60mm pulley swap, even though I've had and used F/A for a while now, I felt that because of all the potential differences of pushing over 19lbs of boost and tuning, that it was truly over my head and should be left to the profesionals. So I ponied up a little cash and set up remote / on the street tuning, and boy was I glad I did, while I think that I may have been able to handle the WOT tuning myself, after a far longer period of time, I'm sure it would have never been this good. BUT....what completely floored me is what they did with "everyday", it's IMO "spot on!"
As many tuners can tell you, making performance parts "perform" isn't the hard part, it's getting them to also translate to everyday use that's difficult. Well these guy's did it....as a matter of fact it was the very first thing that was addressed in the tuning sessions, and even with all of my mods and all of my miles, the car just drives great, you absolutely cannot tell that it makes near the power it does unless you want to. It's so comforting & enjoyable to just get in the car & drive, no hard starts, hiccups or hesitations, put your foot on the gas and it just delivers, smooth & effortlessly, pull up to a stop and it just goes into a perfect idle. (it may even idle smoother than from the factory, and with all my solid mounts, thats saying something). It's just an absolute pleasure to drive in normal situations, and of course, you open up & it's just THERE, no hesitation, just power.

Thanks you guy's, so much!

Last edited by BlwnAway; 10-12-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
mmaigret
1st Gear
Questions on Bytetronik:

1. Will BMW INPA software continue to work once Bytetroink is installed on the ECU?
2. If I buy the full-access version, can I also buy the remote tuning service? I would like to pay for tunes, but have the capability to tweak/modify them. Is this combination of options possible?

[EDIT] I think I found that the answer to my second question is "No," please confirm. If not, can a modified stock tune be provided with Bytetronik if the 550cc injectors are also purchased? Apologies if these are stupid questions...

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mmaigret; 04-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mmaigret
Questions on Bytetronik:

1. Will BMW INPA software continue to work once Bytetroink is installed on the ECU?
2. If I buy the full-access version, can I also buy the remote tuning service? I would like to pay for tunes, but have the capability to tweak/modify them. Is this combination of options possible?

[EDIT] I think I found that the answer to my second question is "No," please confirm. If not, can a modified stock tune be provided with Bytetronik if the 550cc injectors are also purchased? Apologies if these are stupid questions...

Thanks,
Mike
Those are good questions, here are some answers:
1. Autologic and IPNA sw will work on the ecu, and so will OBD-2 protocol = there won't be any issues with SMOG inspections. But Autologic and IPNA will NOT be able to flash over or reprogram the ECU/DME with FA loaded. In order to do so, you must return the ECU to stock using FA if you want to perform a sw upgrade to that ECU/DME.

2a) In the lastest release of FA53 sw, there is a function for the injector scaling for OEM, JCW and Bosch 550s - simply select the injectors that you have installed on the vehicle and it will automatically adjust the "injector maps" for you.

2b) You can purchase the CRM service from us, but the tune will be "locked" so you won't be able to tweak the tuned maps. We will provide a "Demo" tune (view-only) showing the major changes that were done to your tune (for educational purposes).

2c) You can always use your "stock tune" as your base and make your changes on top of that if you want to tune your ECU.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can FA53 be installed on an ECU that already has another aftermarket tune on it? Mynes, RMW, etc.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mod-Mini
Can FA53 be installed on an ECU that already has another aftermarket tune on it? Mynes, RMW, etc.
Yes, but it's best to wipe out the current tune with an OEM map if you want to have a fresh starting point.

When you load FA onto the ECU, it essentially takes a snap shot (or image) of the data that's inside your ECU; so if you already have an RMW or Mynes tune loaded, then that tune will be converted over as your "Stock_tune.srf"

BT

Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
***End of Year Special Pricing***

Have a limited quantity of FA53 "self-tuning" kits for this sale. PM with your needs and a package deal.

FA-Lite units are available for those who wish for a Custom Remote Mapping (see requirements for the CRM service).

Old 02-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
One of our Tuning Dealers (Chris @ Sneed Speed Shop) posted a very informative video on R53 tuning using FA53:

http://www.sneed4speed.com/r53-ecu-t...ll-access-kit/

Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
How to reset your FA53 Self-Tuning Kit for resell...

The procedure as follows for the Resetting of your FA53 Self-Tuning Kit so it can be resold to be used on another R53:
  1. Send us the used MINIPort along with the ECU that it was married to.
  2. In exchange, we will send you a NEW FA53 MiniPort (and keeping the old one as a core)
  3. This new MINIPort will be able to be loaded onto ONE (1) Vehicle
  4. The new owner can then load FA53 onto his ECU and tune it himself or have his tuner of choice to perform the custom tuning.
  5. The exchange fee is $350
  6. Return Shipping and Insurance is $20 for Conti-USA (or provide your own prepaid shipping label).
***NOTE: This exchange does NOT include any CRM (Custom Remote Mapping) Service***

Regards,
BT Support Team.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:33 PM
slo_crx1
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my understanding and what little information I can find, I'm assuming this uses a VE base map for closed loop fuel and/or timing, and fuel modifications for open loop are taken care of on a separate set of secondary tables? If that is the case, is the base VE table able to be modified or is it locked?

Also, is there a list of all the tables available to the user to modify?
Also can anyone verify if the torque maps are for throttle control by gear?

Sorry for all the questions, there really isn't any good solid info out there about this product, and only a very small few handful of users, and not many of them successful either.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM
alexinvancouver
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
This is the OFFICIAL "Questions & Answers" thread for the FullAccess (FA) Tuning Kit. If you have legitimate questions, post them here.
You've been "OUT OF STOCK" for this units (for R53) for quite a while
are You going to get them any time soon?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by alexinvancouver
You've been "OUT OF STOCK" for this units (for R53) for quite a while
are You going to get them any time soon?
We'll start selling these once we have the new software fully tested and ready for release...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain **Q & A Thread** for Bytetronik FullAccess Tuning Kit - R50/R52/R53