Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain "S" motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:27 AM
modmanmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see on Ebay they have an "S" motor including transmission. I have a cooper, does that sound like an easy, doable swap? And yes I realize the hood, battery, and back bumper would change too, but I am thinking if I were to get a turbo system, plus labor, it would run close to $3500. If I do an engine swap, I would only spend probaly another $1000 to 1500.

Anybody ever contacted a dealer about a price on a new "S" motor? Anybody ever get a price.

Somebody will say "just trade up to an S", but my car is almost payed off, so buying a new one would be silly. Plus I can spend just under $10k in the next few years, and get what I wanted. I dont know, I guess I am just thinking. I love my car, but the power game is really knocking on my door, I have to answer it.

cheers, jason

Old 02-06-2004, 10:14 AM
hondacivic
4th Gear
Thats a really cool idea. How did u find it on ebay i can t find it! ??

Old 02-06-2004, 10:44 AM
X2Board
5th Gear
>>Thats a really cool idea. How did u find it on ebay i can t find it! ??

Look here:
Cooper Engine and Tranny

Old 02-06-2004, 11:01 AM
jlm
6th Gear
you will probably need a different ECU and wiring harness mods...you are venturing into the unknown.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:20 AM
rob_lewis
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been having the same thoughts......

I see on Ebay they have an "S" motor including transmission.
Hmm, been watching the same auction. This is the third (I believe) time they have listed it. $3500 buy it now each time. Given that it included the supercharger and tranny, I think it's a good deal.

And yes I realize the hood, battery, and back bumper would change too,
I could see the hood for the intercooler (although, mounting it behind the bumper would be better) and the battery would, I think, need to be relocated for space (unless you move the IC) but why would you have to change the back bumper? I would keep the MC configuration to keep a single muffler.

Anybody ever contacted a dealer about a price on a new "S" motor? Anybody ever get a price.
From what I have heard, a replacement motor is $2500. (No tranny or supercharger), so again, I think this is probably a good deal.

you will probably need a different ECU and wiring harness mods
I don't think so (but am not an expert). I assume the ECU is the same since the software is the same on both.

My wife was supposed to get an 'S' so we would have the best of both worlds, but that didn't happen. So, I'm looking for more power for my MC. My thought would be to pull off the SC and put a turbo on it. I would always keep the MC motor as a backup in case I blow mine.

I'm curious as to the response from the more educated MINI people on the board.

-Rob

-2003 Civic Si

<b>Redline: It's a goal, not a limit!</b>

Old 02-06-2004, 12:23 PM
jlm
6th Gear
besides the different engine internals and the lack of the blower, here are a few other potential differences that come to mind:
hood; battery location and cables; water pump type, location and hoses; alternator location; throttle body size and location; shifter and cables for 6 speed trans; intake air system; MAP sensors?; software for S motor; proper springs and suspension componnents for a heavier car.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM
modmanmini
2nd Gear
I only think the back bumper would have to be changed because of the exhaust. I would think that using my cooper exhaust would be detremental to performance. Otherwise if not it could be left alone.

I like the idea of mounting the intercooler in the bumper, I just dont think it would fit.

$2500 for the motor!? thats not too bad, if you ask me. I wonder what the supercharger, and tranny would run me. I can only imagine the cost of that getrag 6 speed. I wonder if you cold use the exsisting cooper 5 speed.

my mind is racing with these possibilites.

cheers, jason

Old 02-06-2004, 12:58 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Cheaper and better idea. Sell your Cooper. Buy a Cooper S. Leave the S engine and tranny for the poor slob who blew up the ones in his S.

Overheard at a VW-Audi convention, where a participant had upgraded a Golf III GTI with an Audi Quattro system and the Turbocharger from an Audi S-6.

"Ya spend $15,000 on modifying your car, turning it into a QuattroBahnstormer, and in the end whaddya got?

A Volkswagen.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:13 PM
jsun
6th Gear
I'm having fun listening to this discussion. :smile: And it reminds me of the sorts of things folks used to get into with 70's-era BMWs in converting automatic transmission cars into standards (as well as all manner of engine transplants). Point is, just about anything's possible if you have enough time, money, and interest....but in the end, you have a more or less home-made car and all of the positive as well as negative things that this implies.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 PM
rob_lewis
2nd Gear
I would think that using my cooper exhaust would be detremental to performance.
I was thinking of an upgraded exhaust, but an MC one so the routing stays the same.
I wonder if you cold use the exsisting cooper 5 speed.
Seriously doubt it. The 5 speed is barely enough for the MC motor. You would want to upgrade. (Which is why MINI will be using the Getrag for future MC's)
I like the idea of mounting the intercooler in the bumper, I just dont think it would fit.
You would probably have to do some surgery to make the current one fit or use and aftermarket one.

potential differences that come to mind......water pump type, location and hoses; alternator location; throttle body size and location; shifter and cables for 6 speed trans; intake air system; MAP sensors?;
If you do a complete engine swap, I don't think you would need to worry about any of these things.

"Ya spend $15,000 on modifying your car, turning it into a QuattroBahnstormer, and in the end whaddya got? A Volkswagen.
Currently, it's quite popular to put Cooper/Cooper S engines in older Mini's. And, I'm willing to bet, the same will be true in 20 years for these. We're just early adopters!!!

Hey, it's fun to think about.

-Rob

-2003 Civic Si

Redline: It's a goal, not a limit!

Old 02-06-2004, 06:54 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Give it a shot... why not? People have been making hybrids for a long time now...

Jeepers put any motor/tranny combo they can find into Wranglers - I've seen just about everything, I think (all kinds of Ford, Chevy, Mopar motors, Viper V10's, turbo diesels, etc.). Anything's possible.

One of the cooler upgrades I've seen lately was dropping the Lexus 430 motor into an IS300 - making it an IS430.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:14 PM
hondacivic
4th Gear
i love that idea! get M7s "S" carbon hood. also just get a free flowin' exashst system and forget the S rear bumber.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:41 AM
JCIP
2nd Gear
I think you have to question the logic. Your 'hybrid' would still be registered as a Cooper, not an S, and your resale would be poor. So, even though your car is paid off, better to sell it, (outright, not trade-in) and buy an new S. Alot less work, and your wallet will be much better off. Then if you want a project, you can start modding the S. Or, you could look at buying a used S, and save even more, which you could then put into all the fun bits. Just my .02

Old 02-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Uhm.... just buy an S.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Misfit
2nd Gear
>>I think you have to question the logic. Your 'hybrid' would still be registered as a Cooper, not an S, and your resale would be poor. So, even though your car is paid off, better to sell it, (outright, not trade-in) and buy an new S. Alot less work, and your wallet will be much better off. Then if you want a project, you can start modding the S. Or, you could look at buying a used S, and save even more, which you could then put into all the fun bits. Just my .02

resale wouldnt be hurt to an enthusist. trust me. when you have a VA MKII Golf and you throw in a VR6 in it. your resale goes up not down. even when you throw in a GTi 16v once again your resale goes up. so just food for thought.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:03 AM
IanF
6th Gear
>>
>>resale wouldnt be hurt to an enthusist. trust me. when you have a VA MKII Golf and you throw in a VR6 in it. your resale goes up not down. even when you throw in a GTi 16v once again your resale goes up. so just food for thought.
>>

Yes, but there is a difference between modding a lesser car to greater performance than was ever available from the factory and modding a lesser (HP) car to basically the factory "Sport" version of the same car. Not to mention there would be no warranty and it's likely a custom cat-back exhaust would be required.

There is no way you would EVER reclaim your investment in doing this sort of engine swap. EVER. You can take that to the bank. You would be far better off selling you MC and buying a MCS. You'd save a lot more than the $3500 plus installation costs (unknown, but generally take your worst senario guess and double it) on swapping a MCS engine into a MC.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:03 AM
IanF
6th Gear
>>
>>resale wouldnt be hurt to an enthusist. trust me. when you have a VA MKII Golf and you throw in a VR6 in it. your resale goes up not down. even when you throw in a GTi 16v once again your resale goes up. so just food for thought.
>>

Yes, but there is a difference between modding a lesser car to greater performance than was ever available from the factory and modding a lesser (HP) car to basically the factory "Sport" version of the same car. Not to mention there would be no warranty and it's likely a custom cat-back exhaust would be required.

There is no way you would EVER reclaim your investment in doing this sort of engine swap. EVER. You can take that to the bank. You would be far better off selling you MC and buying a MCS. You'd save a lot more than the $3500 plus installation costs (unknown, but generally take your worst senario guess and double it) on swapping a MCS engine into a MC.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:22 AM
modmanmini
2nd Gear
I think I will just stop wasting time trying to run the horsepower game, and just enjoy my car. It has some fun bits already, it rides and looks incredible, and is plenty fast enough for the street. I dont race, and if I autox this year, then I will just do it for fun, like we are all supposed to do. I will just have to drive better than the guy with the 200hp "S"!

cheers, jason

Thanks for all the input, its been fun.

P.S. I at one time did this with a MKI GTi, by ploping my 16v motor into it, it got real expensive, so I dont know why I am even thinking about atempting something like this again!

Old 02-09-2004, 08:36 AM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
I think that unless you are an accomplished auto mechanic, you may be getting in over your head.
Just get the S and save yourself some headaches.