Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain PCV hose delete.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
The car has been running great, it's been venting since that first day.

I honestly am not really sure where the rubber cap came from. It was in a box of odd parts. I think it can be found at an auto-parts store. It's about the same size as the rubber hose for the catch can.
Cool, good to know! The hose exiting the occ is simply pointing down underneath the car correct?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barnoun
Cool, good to know! The hose exiting the occ is simply pointing down underneath the car correct?
Mine is just sitting on top like I just pulled the hose off and got lazy, cuz that's what I did.

But yeah you should route it under the car some were with a longer hose.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM
barnoun
3rd Gear
lol sounds good

Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
Mine is just sitting on top like I just pulled the hose off and got lazy, cuz that's what I did.

But yeah you should route it under the car some were with a longer hose.
pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What dizzle said

Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
I haven't converted the BSH to VTA yet. I keep the car inside and don't really want the vapors filling the garage (I could smell them when I had an open intake along with the BSH). It's good to know that it's possible to have that setup if necessary though.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 AM
k9cop
Neutral
CZAR any chance you have the plugs still I am looking to purchase them . I have a 2008 clubman S, any help would be appreciated. The part No is: 0361.S4 I cant find them anywhere in the US as you stated.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:44 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could you realistically just block the passenger side and have the driver side vent? No CC or anything? Then block the part on the intake tube?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:41 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
They used to do something like that on cars before they had PCV systems, It was called a draft tube. it was a tube that ran down into the air stream under the car that helped pull the oil vapors out of the engine.

Dave

Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah a lot of my buddies have old cars and they just put a tiny breather filter on it and call it good.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 AM
seepw
1st Gear
Ok, I have been reading every post I can possibly find regarding OCC, boost tap, etc. I see the posts saying that blocking off the passenger side is ok for street use and not recommended track use.

My question is, I drive daily on the autobahn back and fourth to work. Hard acceleration and speeds up to 130 mph are common in my drive. Would blocking off the passenger side be safe under these driving conditions. I know my conditions arent track but not really street either.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by seepw
Ok, I have been reading every post I can possibly find regarding OCC, boost tap, etc. I see the posts saying that blocking off the passenger side is ok for street use and not recommended track use.

My question is, I drive daily on the autobahn back and fourth to work. Hard acceleration and speeds up to 130 mph are common in my drive. Would blocking off the passenger side be safe under these driving conditions. I know my conditions arent track but not really street either.
I don't see a problem with that. Heck, I don't see a problem with running on a track with the passenger side PCV line blocked off.

I think the problem some have with blocking off the passenger side PCV line is that in some racing classes, altering the emission controls is not permitted.

Dave

Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Has there been any more watergunk in your in your intercolder dave? LOL! This has been a pretty amusing thread to read. Bless you Czar for your patience!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
I installed the block off caps that Roger(Czar) sent me several weeks ago as well as the bsh catch can on my RMW tuned 08 clubman and have had no issues so far. It is my daily driver and I travel for a living so I do a good mix of highway miles and stop and go traffic. I have had no issues. I think you should be fine on the AutoBahn.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I am interested in these caps Czar. Please PM me with price to US zip 32771

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
seepw
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies guys

Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM
dave_beast
1st Gear
I've got a 2011 Citroën DS3 with the same engine. After 9500 miles and plenty of detonation it decided it had had enough and the ring lands on piston 1 disentegrated.

A new engine was fitted under warranty along with a new HPFP, and within a day was detonating again. Some research on the internet resulted in me visiting Peugeot to buy 2 PCV delete caps.

After fitting, it hasn't detonated at all. I'm running 215bhp with ILZKBR7A8G plugs, Pipercross foam filter on 99 octane fuel and custom impellor.

This mod is now being used on the latest European engined THP's, and will stop any oil build up on inlet valve, and oil haze related detonation due to oil reducing octane by about 40 points (like filling up with diesel)

Video from a run out last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFM48FK9kj4

Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave!

Originally Posted by dave_beast
I've got a 2011 Citroën DS3 with the same engine. After 9500 miles and plenty of detonation it decided it had had enough and the ring lands on piston 1 disentegrated.

A new engine was fitted under warranty along with a new HPFP, and within a day was detonating again. Some research on the internet resulted in me visiting Peugeot to buy 2 PCV delete caps.

After fitting, it hasn't detonated at all. I'm running 215bhp with ILZKBR7A8G plugs, Pipercross foam filter on 99 octane fuel and custom impellor.

This mod is now being used on the latest European engined THP's, and will stop any oil build up on inlet valve, and oil haze related detonation due to oil reducing octane by about 40 points (like filling up with diesel)

Video from a run out last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFM48FK9kj4

Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
johnf36
4th Gear
Some food for thought.

The original purpose of the PCV was to vent crankcase pressure created from blow by, some where along the line someone decided that placing the top end in a vacuum was even better. Now since newer boosted engines tend to have more blow by then normally aspirated ones, a person might have an argument for that self imposed vacuum.

Most of the OCC's on the market are nothing more then an empty vapor canister relying on the process of vapor condensation to collect the oil. With out that these cans are very poor in collecting oil that is being pulled from the top end of the engine. If you really want the oil out of the vapor then you have to scrub the air with a coilesing filter system, which in the automotive world really is not practical.

One other way to prevent the oil vapor from entering the intake is don't put it there in the first place. Which I think Dave and Czar have covered very well. They only issue I see is a good method of preventing crankcase pressure. Have you guys just considered a rocker cover(valve cover) breather?

John

Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnf36
One other way to prevent the oil vapor from entering the intake is don't put it there in the first place. Which I think Dave and Czar have covered very well. They only issue I see is a good method of preventing crankcase pressure. Have you guys just considered a rocker cover(valve cover) breather?

John
Your right in your assessment that not venting into the intake is the best route. The only reason it does is for emissions.

The pics I posted on page three are exactly what your talking about. The only reason it's to a vented can and not just the breather is to prevent an oily mess.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by johnf36
Some food for thought.

The original purpose of the PCV was to vent crankcase pressure created from blow by, some where along the line someone decided that placing the top end in a vacuum was even better. Now since newer boosted engines tend to have more blow by then normally aspirated ones, a person might have an argument for that self imposed vacuum.

Most of the OCC's on the market are nothing more then an empty vapor canister relying on the process of vapor condensation to collect the oil. With out that these cans are very poor in collecting oil that is being pulled from the top end of the engine. If you really want the oil out of the vapor then you have to scrub the air with a coilesing filter system, which in the automotive world really is not practical.

John
A coalescing filter is as you say the most effective way to separate any liquid, in this case oil, from the crankcase vapour, that said, I don't see you reasoning behind your statement.

Yes it's perfectly practical to produce a coalescing filtration system, for the automotive applications, as that's exactly what I did, I designed and produced my own coalescing filter, specifically for my N14 engines, and it filters out to 99.9% separation.

The probable reason most aftermarket companies don't produce a effective OCC other than supplying an empty can, maybe sometimes with a baffle plate in it too, is that they won't have the knowledge or understanding about oil/air separation, or calculated the necessary volume and flow taking into account the % rate of wear for compressional blow by, for any given engine, it's a science not guess work!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 AM
dave_beast
1st Gear
With the rear pcv pipe deleted, the 2 (yes there is 2) pcv pipes on the turbo side compensate, the result is a oiless induction side and a considerabley less amount of oil reaching the inlet valve/combustion chamber. Winning as Charlie Sheen would say

Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
CZAR:

Do you have an marketable coalescing filtration system for the N-14? How about the N-18??

Stephen

Originally Posted by czar
A coalescing filter is as you say the most effective way to separate any liquid, in this case oil, from the crankcase vapour, that said, I don't see you reasoning behind your statement.

Yes it's perfectly practical to produce a coalescing filtration system, for the automotive applications, as that's exactly what I did, I designed and produced my own coalescing filter, specifically for my N14 engines, and it filters out to 99.9% separation.

The probable reason most aftermarket companies don't produce a effective OCC other than supplying an empty can, maybe sometimes with a baffle plate in it too, is that they won't have the knowledge or understanding about oil/air separation, or calculated the necessary volume and flow taking into account the % rate of wear for compressional blow by, for any given engine, it's a science not guess work!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOG
CZAR:

Do you have an marketable coalescing filtration system for the N-14? How about the N-18??

Stephen
I have been asked this a few times, and as I am not a subscribing vendor here on NAM, or any other MINI forum for that matter, the NAM rules of engagement forbid me or anyone from giving you a public answer, to your first question, however if there was enough interest, and the NAM management would discuss the terms of me becoming a site sponsor (vendor) then you know the answer.

As for the N18 engine, I would need to calculate the volume and flow, but yes a coalescing filtration system could be implemented.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
CZAR! Thanks for the reply.

Stephen

Quick Reply: Drivetrain PCV hose delete.