Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain PCV hose delete.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
Basically yeah, I think you got it.
Alright cool...let me know when you design that catch can mike so I can pick one up from you.......you guys aren't to far from my place anyways

Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 PM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Right back at you!
Your intercooler and intake system probably has more oil in it than you think.

Dave
As I previously mentioned I had just 39ml of oil inside my at the time stock intercooler, after 22 thousand miles, see image below.

Name:  P1010119.jpg
Views: 7220
Size:  41.9 KB

Also there is no oil mist residue in my current intercooler, when i run one, or the tube I replace my intercooler with, nor is there any oil mist residue in my intake system or carbon on my inlet valves.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
How are your intake valves? A bit of crud built up on them, maybe?

Dave

Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM
czar
4th Gear
How are your intake valves? A bit of crud built up on them, maybe?

Dave
As already mentioned, I have zero carbon on my inlet valves or anywhere in my intake system.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are from an R53 that we ran a vented catch can with both breather lines running to it. The filter would be replaced with a fitting for the vent pipe to run under the car.

The catch can is just behind the intake filter and the lines are blue.

Close up shot of just the catch can

Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 AM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
These are from an R53 that we ran a vented catch can with both breather lines running to it. The filter would be replaced with a fitting for the vent pipe to run under the car.

Nice....ok i get it and this is where im at:
-you have a catch can with 3 ports
-you run 2 lines from the cranck case to the cc;
1. pcv line from the passenger side to the cc (also blocking off the manifold as pictured in the op
2.breather line from the drivers side to the cc (which eliminates the line to the inlet turbo where we would eventually block off to eliminate vacuum leak)
-3rd port of the cc will be the ventilation line that will run underneath the car which will vent to the atmosphere and help relieve pressure to the engine

Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
this is interesting stuff, I was about to pull the trigger on a OCC with dual boost tap and now I'm just gonna wait it out to see where this thread goes.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 AM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
whoa, what happened to all those previous posts??

Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=Mike@Tech Division;3283021]These are from an R53 that we ran a vented catch can with both breather lines running to it. The filter would be replaced with a fitting for the vent pipe to run under the car.

[/quote

GOT IT!!!

I really need to do something like this. So do you have one designed already for R56?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
GOT IT!!!

I really need to do something like this. So do you have one designed already for R56?
We don't have anything yet. I'll keep every one posted when we do, but in a different thread. Kinda got side tracked here and hijacked czar, sorry about that man.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
We don't have anything yet. I'll keep every one posted when we do, but in a different thread. Kinda got side tracked here and hijacked czar, sorry about that man.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM
czar
4th Gear
No need to apologise Mike, the more information we can supply to help the Mini community with useful posts the better, and it is all relevant to my OP.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
As already mentioned... The only downside of a VTA (Vent-to-Atmosphere) is the smell, which can be brought into the cabin. Other than the Emission problems that each state might have with a VTA, its a great option. If you guys are looking for BSH fittings but want a VTA can, they have over 20 catch cans they make, and I am sure they can work something out.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
As already mentioned... The only downside of a VTA (Vent-to-Atmosphere) is the smell, which can be brought into the cabin. Other than the Emission problems that each state might have with a VTA, its a great option. If you guys are looking for BSH fittings but want a VTA can, they have over 20 catch cans they make, and I am sure they can work something out.

You know I don't have any major complaints about the BSH products, just had a couple suggestions which we discussed before. The BSH catch can / boost tap combo works good for street cars and can be modified to vent to the atmosphere pretty easy. The line from the catch can to the intake tube just has to be extended and run under the car.

The only thing I have not verified yet is how to computer will react to seeing a constant temp reading from the breather temp sensor which would be caped off to prevent a vacuum leak. If I have time maybe I will buy some stuff today and try it out on mine. This of course is on the US spec R56. The rest of the world got off easy by not having the MAF or the temp sensor.

You brought up a good point about emissions too. All catch cans are technically illegal as they change the factory design of the emission control system. Just something to keep in mind for those that need smog checks.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
barnoun
3rd Gear

Last edited by barnoun; 05-13-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: double post
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
barnoun
3rd Gear
Great info Mike and czar!

Good to know my BSH setup is decent for street use, maybe I'll convert it to VTA if it turns out okay for the computer to have that constant breather temp reading.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
So I had a plug here that fit the temp sensor adapter that came with the BSH catch can. I plugged the sensor and left the line venting to the air. So far I have put about 22 miles on the car and have had no problems. I'm guessing if it does ok for about 50-100 miles then it probably wont ever trigger a check some code.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:49 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
I remember reading somewhere on the forum that that temp sensor is actually a heating element, do you think it's true?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by barnoun
I remember reading somewhere on the forum that that temp sensor is actually a heating element, do you think it's true?
TBH I have never received a definite answer for this. I was told it measured the temp of the vented gas from the PCV so the computer could make adjustments for the un-metered air coming into the intake. Made sense since it is on the US spec R56 along with the MAF. This could be total BS too though since it didn't come from the most reputable source

Any case the ECU does not seem to mind so far that I plugged the inlet and if it doesn't ***** after a few days of driving then I suspect it never will.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 AM
5zero4
4th Gear
TBH I have never received a definite answer for this. I was told it measured the temp of the vented gas from the PCV so the computer could make adjustments for the un-metered air coming into the intake. Made sense since it is on the US spec R56 along with the MAF. This could be total BS too though since it didn't come from the most reputable source

Any case the ECU does not seem to mind so far that I plugged the inlet and if it doesn't ***** after a few days of driving then I suspect it never will.
I forgot to plug it on once and had no CEL or weird runnings...

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
The BSH Dual boost tap does the same thing, though it leaves the hose in place. Be sure you put an oil catch can on the hose going from the driver's side of the head cover to the turbo inlet, because all the oil vapor will be going into the turbocharger and then into the intercooler without the PCV hose.

Dave
I've got the BSH OCC in my R56, is it basically useless without installing the Dual Boost Tap?

Last edited by Rixter; 05-14-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 AM
5zero4
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
I've got the BSH OCC in my R56, is it basically useless without installing the Dual Boost Tap?
it's not useless, it will catch the oil vapor from the drivers side that would have gone through the turbo and into your intercooler. As far as stopping the build up on you valves and intake, yes it is useless.

I chose to put an OCC on the passenger side first, but may put another on if I can fit it. If not, I might try the VTA method and block off the intake manifold port and inlet tube port.

Last edited by 5zero4; 05-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:56 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
I was trying to find a 5/8" inline check valve and came across this.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2905652...=263602_325002

It looks remarkably like our pcv hose fittings....

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
...Any case the ECU does not seem to mind so far that I plugged the inlet and if it doesn't ***** after a few days of driving then I suspect it never will.
So no problem plugging that inlet and running it VTA correct?

Last question, what type and size of plug did you use to plug the BSH adaptor?

Thx Mike.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by barnoun
So no problem plugging that inlet and running it VTA correct?

Last question, what type and size of plug did you use to plug the BSH adaptor?

Thx Mike.
The car has been running great, it's been venting since that first day.

I honestly am not really sure where the rubber cap came from. It was in a box of odd parts. I think it can be found at an auto-parts store. It's about the same size as the rubber hose for the catch can.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain PCV hose delete.