Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Larger intake and exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larger intake and exhaust valves

So I recently got a very good deal on a JCW engine kit for my '06. Anyway, one of the reasons ia got a good deal was it Was missing the emblems, the stickers, and the JCW certificate. It does have the engine label though.

Anyway, MINI may not be willing to install the kit so I am thinking of the RMW street cam. I was wondering if it worth going ahead and installing larger intake and exhaust valves in the head?

I will not use the supercharger, it is the same that i have plus I have a 15% pulley. I will do the JCW tune at first then later probably get an RMW tune. Might get a header later on but concerned with the noise.

Anyway, looking for any thoughts.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Any of the die hard gear heads have any info on this?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Can't really help you, but I would call Jan up and see what he says. He'll definitely steer you in the right direction and know what you should do. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
I was thinking of doing that just figured I would start here first.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Larger valves are a great idea!

Our cars are exahust flow choked, so doing work in that area will really create benefits. Different head modifiers have different philosophies about what to do. Some I've talked to leave the intake at stock size and only change the exhaust, others do both.

A cam is a good idea too, as you take your off to do the swap, it's pretty easy to just put a different one in!

Matt

Old 09-04-2010, 05:58 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
A cam is a great idea, but you'll gain even more with head work, especially if you get a good header. If you install a header with the stock exhaust, it's really not that loud.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:11 PM
newbs49
Banned
Call Jan and send him your new head before you install it. Have him do the valves and get his street cam and header. You'll be amased at the difference in the car. What are you doing with the supercharger in the kit?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:19 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by newbs49
Call Jan and send him your new head before you install it. Have him do the valves and get his street cam and header.
+1

Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Originally Posted by newbs49
Call Jan and send him your new head before you install it. Have him do the valves and get his street cam and header. You'll be amased at the difference in the car. What are you doing with the supercharger in the kit?
Thanks for all of the replies. I have been looking at Jan's street cam already so that is pretty much a given. Stocking up on parts and getting the ready at this point and will get everything installed later - Have another 6 months on the warranty.

The kit I got did not have the supercharger. The guy I bought it from had already sold it to another party and could be why I got the kit so cheaply. It was also missing a few stickers (ECU, Fuel Door) but the rest of the kit is brand new and I have verified that.

Davisflyer, I am also going to contact Dan at Grassroots to get some ideas. As for the header, while I like it I am still concerned about how loud it is. I heard yours on the videos you submitted and it sounds great but it does seem like it is still a little loud. May have to pay the penalty in the long run.

Wonder what Jan would charge to do a little work on the head (nothing radical)? I think at least exhaust valves, a little more mild porting, the street cam and possible header will make for an excellent street setup. Of course a tune to go with all of this.

Besides performance my biggest goal is to maintain reliability. I do not want to track the car and even want to take it occasional trips so I have to keep it balanced for all of this.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hunter99

Davisflyer, I am also going to contact Dan at Grassroots to get some ideas. As for the header, while I like it I am still concerned about how loud it is. I heard yours on the videos you submitted and it sounds great but it does seem like it is still a little loud. May have to pay the penalty in the long run.
Dan's a great guy! On my videos, keep in mind that it's WOT. At cruise it's not much louder and no drone. Part throttle it's "got more tone", maybe 20-30% louder, but not objectionably loud. I got used to it after about 1 month.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
CRoth
4th Gear
You're going to love the cam! Be careful with the valve lashing caps when doing the swap. They are as brittle as egg shells. My next step is Jan's big valve head in Janurary. I can't wait! Keep us posted.