Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best Way to increase HP??? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best Way to increase HP??? Anyone?

Ok..I decided to purchase a new S JCW and want to know the best way to get some real HP out of it. Any suggestions on the best place to start.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
talk to NAM Vendor, http://www.waymotorworks.com/home.php he's got an R56 S with all the right mods.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Look for info here, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...play.php?f=191.

There should be plenty of topics of interest.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by astrochex
Look for info here, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...play.php?f=191.

There should be plenty of topics of interest.
Thanks for the info

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
First, determine your goals and your budget...

Are you looking for 10, 20, 50, or 100 more HP?

Are you able to spend $100, $500, $1000, $5000, or $10000 in mods?

Do you want your car to have good street manners and be reliable, or do you want a car that performs best on the track without compromise?

Are you willing to break things that won't be covered by a warranty when you make a significant increase in horsepower?

Do you want to make your car faster through the turns as well, or only in a straight line?

My advice: Enjoy your new car for awhile "as is" when it arrives, and start reading the forums about what mods other people have been doing that gives them satisfaction.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
First, determine your goals and your budget...

Are you looking for 10, 20, 50, or 100 more HP?

Are you able to spend $100, $500, $1000, $5000, or $10000 in mods?

Do you want your car to have good street manners and be reliable, or do you want a car that performs best on the track without compromise?

Are you willing to break things that won't be covered by a warranty when you make a significant increase in horsepower?

Do you want to make your car faster through the turns as well, or only in a straight line?

My advice: Enjoy your new car for awhile "as is" when it arrives, and start reading the forums about what mods other people have been doing that gives them satisfaction.
OK...well here is where I am at.

Going with a JCW and would like to achive about 250 whp. I will invest about 4K to 6K and can do most of the work myself. I currently have a performance Corvette business but no almost nothing about Mini performance other than I love them but want more power. I want to use it for weekend SCCA and daily driver. Our shop is on our property so I only put about 10K on a year but sometimes I will go on a long road trip...so to answer your question it needs to be streetable as well

Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I echo what Dan said. In order of importance, off the top of my head, I'd do this:

1. Driving School. If you haven't done any, don't start modding yet. It will make learning to drive the car that much tougher. You don't even have the car yet. Drive it first, get comfortable with what it is now before you start hammering at more HP...Heck, its not even broken in yet!!
2. Suspension/Tires. Get you're suspension and tires figured out before you start throwing HP at it, unless all you're concerned about is going fast in a straight line. Even then, without good tires, all you're wasting all that money you're throwing at the engine.
3. Brakes. May or may not be an issue, but make sure you're happy with them before you increase HP. If you're not, more HP will only make it worse...
4. Lastly, HP. Initially, its the least important variable, and in fact can actually hurt your learning curve rather than help it when you're starting out. As you get to be a better driver, it becomes more and more important, and once you've got the suspension/brakes sorted, will probably be where you should spend your time/money. But increasing HP should be the endpoint, not the starting point...

Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
I echo what Dan said. In order of importance, off the top of my head, I'd do this:

1. Driving School. If you haven't done any, don't start modding yet. It will make learning to drive the car that much tougher. You don't even have the car yet. Drive it first, get comfortable with what it is now before you start hammering at more HP...Heck, its not even broken in yet!!
2. Suspension/Tires. Get you're suspension and tires figured out before you start throwing HP at it, unless all you're concerned about is going fast in a straight line. Even then, without good tires, all you're wasting all that money you're throwing at the engine.
3. Brakes. May or may not be an issue, but make sure you're happy with them before you increase HP. If you're not, more HP will only make it worse...
4. Lastly, HP. Initially, its the least important variable, and in fact can actually hurt your learning curve rather than help it when you're starting out. As you get to be a better driver, it becomes more and more important, and once you've got the suspension/brakes sorted, will probably be where you should spend your time/money. But increasing HP should be the endpoint, not the starting point...
I appreciate your feedback...really. I have been racing for years and also have had many advanced driving courses. I have driven the JCW SPIRITED and what my questions was not how to drive one but what are the best mods to increase HP. I currently have a Twin Turbo Corvette and know there is a learning curve to every car....still leaves me with wanting to hear from guys who have done mods to increase the Power of a Mini...thanks.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I think with any car you should just start with the basics.

1. Intake.

2. Exhaust.

3. Tune.

After that, try messing around with the induction system. This is a boosted car after all, and the turbo and intercooler can be easily tinkered with to produce results.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Well, I think with any car you should just start with the basics.

1. Intake.

2. Exhaust.

3. Tune.

After that, try messing around with the induction system. This is a boosted car after all, and the turbo and intercooler can be easily tinkered with to produce results.
Thanks...do you know if the JCW comes with the same exhaust as the Cooper S?

Who has the best reputation for intakes?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Red Bull

Who has the best reputation for intakes?

the factory....

spend your money on a quality exhaust and eventually a CUSTOM tune

Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Dude, for half a second, I totally thought that HP stood for "Hit Points" and thought you were asking for video game cheats.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Cellardoor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
Dude, for half a second, I totally thought that HP stood for "Hit Points" and thought you were asking for video game cheats.
lol someone needs to lay off the World of Warcraft for a bit !

-Hutch-

Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cellardoor

-Hutch-
Ya think

Old 09-14-2008, 04:03 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Yes wait for some good tuning, hopefully someone will be able to tune these cars the way they should be, no unicrap, canned bs.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Yes wait for some good tuning, hopefully someone will be able to tune these cars the way they should be, no unicrap, canned bs.
Try an LDG tune from www.beheperformance.com. Pricey, but a lot of HP.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 PM
littlehandegan
LDG doesnt have r56 tuning, i dont beleive....

Old 09-14-2008, 04:43 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
LDG doesnt have r56 tuning, i dont beleive....
I talked to John about 3 months ago and he had finished the hacking he needed to do to get into the programming. He invested alot of time on this project and that is why he is charging alot for the R56 tune. I be buying a '10 S JCW and will immediately drive it over to him (but unfortunately that won't be until mid next year).

Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
I talked to John about 3 months ago and he had finished the hacking he needed to do to get into the programming. He invested alot of time on this project and that is why he is charging alot for the R56 tune. I be buying a '10 S JCW and will immediately drive it over to him (but unfortunately that won't be until mid next year).
Whats a lot for a tune? I pay about $374 to $425 to have my Vette tuned. 3 to 4 pulls.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:47 PM
littlehandegan
So he has had tuning ready for 3 months? Why has no one known about this? Is it dimsport?

Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Anyway, before my internet took an incredibly convenient dump on me, I had this great post about intakes. Anyway, to recap and retype a second time...

I recently put on K&N intake on my 2002 3.0l Ford Ranger. I immediately noticed a difference. Now, one thing I knew about this intake was that it would change the power with differences in temperatures. I was right. The other morning, it was about 42 degrees or so and I was making exceptional power at 2,000 RPMs flat. In fact, I never needed to exceed 2k.

So, if you live in a climate where it gets cold, or are just looking for a couple horsepower, go for it. The JCW Intake is good plus doesn't crap shoot your warranty but so is the one by ALTA and K&Ns. It's all up to you.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
So he has had tuning ready for 3 months? Why has no one known about this? Is it dimsport?
He's not marketing it on the forums. He complains about the "desktop" mechanics that he's had to deal with when he was active on NAM with the Gen 1 tune. He does most of his business locally. Prefers to dial in the car perfectly on his shop dyno.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
I can see the more "black magic" is being spread

this ECU needs to opened up to tune. The hardware needs to be tapped into the chip and read. It then can be modified. Dimsport has had the software for the European model for quite some time.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:10 AM
littlehandegan
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
I can see the more "black magic" is being spread

this ECU needs to opened up to tune. The hardware needs to be tapped into the chip and read. It then can be modified. Dimsport has had the software for the European model for quite some time.

Thats what I figured.......

Can a mod move this to 2nd gen drivetrain?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cellardoor

-Hutch-
I'm not a WOW addict, I've just played way too many Japanese RPG's. I'm currently playing through Persona 3 FES, and when I'm done with that, I've still gotta finish FFVII Crisis Core and FFXII...

Hrm... ya know, instead of WOW, maybe we should say "lay off the controller". LOL!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Best Way to increase HP??? Anyone?