Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best Way to increase HP??? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:33 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
I can see the more "black magic" is being spread

this ECU needs to opened up to tune. The hardware needs to be tapped into the chip and read. It then can be modified. Dimsport has had the software for the European model for quite some time.
So I take it that the R56 tune won't be ready for the upcoming Seattle tuning day? I know at least one person that's very interested in it.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
lol someone needs to lay off the World of Warcraft for a bit !
FOR THE HORDE!!

and thanks for the tip about behe performance. it turns out they are local. I'm definitely gonna check them out.

btw, Donnie Darko is an awesome movie. Just saw it last week. Sequel (S. Darko) comes out next year.

Last edited by D-Unit; 09-16-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Cellardoor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by D-Unit
FOR THE HORDE!!

and thanks for the tip about behe performance. it turns out they are local. I'm definitely gonna check them out.

btw, Donnie Darko is an awesome movie. Just saw it last week. Sequel (S. Darko) comes out next year.

hahah unfortunately I'm alliance on Burning legion Shhh dont tell :(.

and i had no idea a sequel was coming out! deff going to check that out!

-Hutch-

Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red Bull, I know how you are feeling. I ordered my Cooper S at the beginning of summer last year and spent the 90 day wait for delivery planning all the mods I could to boost power and make it a 'manly' car... a philosophy borne from having a Subaru Impreza STi as my last car. Not to say the STi is anything like the ultimate manly twin-turbo Corvette, at least not if you're a white guy like me!

So I received my car and start modding away. I put every bolt-on out there and the piggy back ECU. Two things changed me... one was joining the BMWCCA and the other was CEL's. I spent so much time and money troubleshooting and undoing problematic mods which really don't do much for the 0-60 and quarter mile times anyway. That on top of learning through starting to autocross that the power does very little compared to suspension and tire upgrades.

But you know all this and still want to feel some semblance of that power you've been so accustomed to. Unfortunately, if you ordered a factory JCW car, I don't think there are any mods available that will do much of anything for your horsepower. Eventually there will be custom tunes. Evotech and GIAC sound like they're just starting to roll out their tunes for the standard S. They'll work out the bugs and expand to JCW. Eventually heads and cams will come out. You'll be able to drop in a bigger turbo and be able to tune the car to it. That stuff will get you real power. You'll get very little bang for the buck out of the current crop of bolt-ons. If your goal is 250HP at the wheels it will probably be acheivable with just a tune and maybe turbo back exhaust.

All the best... you'll love your car... and it will be a lot more fun within street legal limits than you're used to!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
Pretty Much Agree/

Stay away from the bolt ons with one exception. Turbo Back Exhaust. This will give you a solid 15WHP. When building a JCW keep in mind it already makes 125 HP per liter and sometimes that is difficult to improve on. The JCW with the Turbo Back would be a solid 225 HP car or about 135 HP per liter. That is an improvement of 55HP over the stock Cooper S. How much more power do you think this little motor is capable of safely especially if you want to daily drive it or take it on long distance trips. 3 years from now there will be R56 Mini's that are not reliable or smog legal that will make 270-290 HP but they will have to completely build the motors.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A 15WHP increase seems like quite a bit for a turbo back exhaust. Where are you getting that figure?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
I echo what Dan said. In order of importance, off the top of my head, I'd do this:

1. Driving School. If you haven't done any, don't start modding yet. It will make learning to drive the car that much tougher. You don't even have the car yet. Drive it first, get comfortable with what it is now before you start hammering at more HP...Heck, its not even broken in yet!!
2. Suspension/Tires. Get you're suspension and tires figured out before you start throwing HP at it, unless all you're concerned about is going fast in a straight line. Even then, without good tires, all you're wasting all that money you're throwing at the engine.
3. Brakes. May or may not be an issue, but make sure you're happy with them before you increase HP. If you're not, more HP will only make it worse...
4. Lastly, HP. Initially, its the least important variable, and in fact can actually hurt your learning curve rather than help it when you're starting out. As you get to be a better driver, it becomes more and more important, and once you've got the suspension/brakes sorted, will probably be where you should spend your time/money. But increasing HP should be the endpoint, not the starting point...
One of the best pieces of advice I've read on NAM!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by searocko
So I take it that the R56 tune won't be ready for the upcoming Seattle tuning day? I know at least one person that's very interested in it.
Jan, I'm the guy that interested in the R56 tune. Here's what I recommend you do in Oct.

Get Dimsport to release the tune for the US R56.

Come to Seattle on the 2nd and tune my car after you bring and install the new downpipe that bolts up to my Milltek exhaust.

Then drive to Spokane with our small group and put another track under your belt. BMW Inland Empire is doing a two day HPDE and you can caravan with us.

Drive back to Seattle and set up the tuning session for everyone else.

Seems selfish but if I don't look out for me, who will? Plus you would have a blast up here ripping up the Spokane track. Stay long enough and I think PCA has a day later that month at Pacific Raceways. That would be two new tracks.

Cheers!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
Red Bull, I know how you are feeling. I ordered my Cooper S at the beginning of summer last year and spent the 90 day wait for delivery planning all the mods I could to boost power and make it a 'manly' car... a philosophy borne from having a Subaru Impreza STi as my last car. Not to say the STi is anything like the ultimate manly twin-turbo Corvette, at least not if you're a white guy like me!

So I received my car and start modding away. I put every bolt-on out there and the piggy back ECU. Two things changed me... one was joining the BMWCCA and the other was CEL's. I spent so much time and money troubleshooting and undoing problematic mods which really don't do much for the 0-60 and quarter mile times anyway. That on top of learning through starting to autocross that the power does very little compared to suspension and tire upgrades.

But you know all this and still want to feel some semblance of that power you've been so accustomed to. Unfortunately, if you ordered a factory JCW car, I don't think there are any mods available that will do much of anything for your horsepower. Eventually there will be custom tunes. Evotech and GIAC sound like they're just starting to roll out their tunes for the standard S. They'll work out the bugs and expand to JCW. Eventually heads and cams will come out. You'll be able to drop in a bigger turbo and be able to tune the car to it. That stuff will get you real power. You'll get very little bang for the buck out of the current crop of bolt-ons. If your goal is 250HP at the wheels it will probably be acheivable with just a tune and maybe turbo back exhaust.

All the best... you'll love your car... and it will be a lot more fun within street legal limits than you're used to!
Thanks for the insite....I am finding what you said to be true. I have the high Hourse Power car when I need to feel it. I am going to focus on the suspension,brakes and the cosmetic mods first and see what is developed in the coming year. Thanks for the good feedback

Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Im telling you guys, as soon as RMW get this ECU figured out, you will see manifolds, turbos, injectors, cylinder heads, cams etc. Until then you will see unicrap and these BS canned tunes, much like when the r53 first came out. People would call BS if you pulled over 210hp withoug going crazy back in the day.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerMCS
Jan, I'm the guy that interested in the R56 tune. Here's what I recommend you do in Oct.

Get Dimsport to release the tune for the US R56.

Come to Seattle on the 2nd and tune my car after you bring and install the new downpipe that bolts up to my Milltek exhaust.

Then drive to Spokane with our small group and put another track under your belt. BMW Inland Empire is doing a two day HPDE and you can caravan with us.

Drive back to Seattle and set up the tuning session for everyone else.

Seems selfish but if I don't look out for me, who will? Plus you would have a blast up here ripping up the Spokane track. Stay long enough and I think PCA has a day later that month at Pacific Raceways. That would be two new tracks.

Cheers!
I've been bugging him about it since January! Me first....me first!

Oh and FWIW...I e-mailed Dimsport last week about the US tunes and asked if they have come out with US tuning software or if their Euro version will work. Their answer surprised me....they said they didn't know as they haven't even tried doing it on a US car yet. They said that it "could be possible that their system can crack the US version also."

Jan, do you know anything else? Even if you have to remove the ECU, do you have the ability yet at this point to do that?

Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Im telling you guys, as soon as RMW get this ECU figured out, you will see manifolds, turbos, injectors, cylinder heads, cams etc. Until then you will see unicrap and these BS canned tunes, much like when the r53 first came out. People would call BS if you pulled over 210hp withoug going crazy back in the day.
Amen brother. I keep tellin' em that, but no one listens! They'll see...they will see....

This is why I have not bothered to buy any other products for my car right now...the future holds a lot and why waste the money now on BS products??

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 09-16-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
I talked to Dimsport and they have no clue if it will work. So they want me to spend more money with them to find out...... beautiful

hard to believe the north american distributor hasn't checked it out

Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
PGT
Banned
the JCW doesn't need more power. It can't put the current power down as it is from the factory (thus the e-nannies). Sort out the suspension, get some real (wide!) tires, then worry about power....by then, tuning will be sorted out.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:34 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Ok..I decided to purchase a new S JCW and want to know the best way to get some real HP out of it. Any suggestions on the best place to start.
PM SENT!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Originally Posted by PGT
the JCW doesn't need more power. It can't put the current power down as it is from the factory (thus the e-nannies). Sort out the suspension, get some real (wide!) tires, then worry about power....by then, tuning will be sorted out.

Traction smaction lollllzzzzz

Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
uhhhh.... better tires!!!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
That's what I was thinking.... I installed just the JCW Stage I kit on my automatic and it's RIGHT on the edge of having too much torque steer. I can't imagine the factory JCW and then some.

Not to mention that the OP mentioned he wanted to do some SCCA and track days... more HP is NOT where it's at.... driving ability, suspension and tires will help more than anything on the track.
Mark

Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
Never enough hourse power.....

Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
That's what I was thinking.... I installed just the JCW Stage I kit on my automatic and it's RIGHT on the edge of having too much torque steer. I can't imagine the factory JCW and then some.

Not to mention that the OP mentioned he wanted to do some SCCA and track days... more HP is NOT where it's at.... driving ability, suspension and tires will help more than anything on the track.
Mark
The factory JCW I drove had no more torque steer than my S. Which to me, is next to none.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I may be off on this on but to me the Mini is a momentum car. The more HP you try to put into it, the more parts you have to change to make sure it can put the HP onto the ground reliably.

Reminds me of a friend who put a highly tuned small block Chevy into a Porsche 944 to run club races. After 5 years, he never completed a single race with that car but runs it now in his 911S.

If you want a lot of HP, you should get a high HP car to begin with.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
I may be off on this on but to me the Mini is a momentum car. The more HP you try to put into it, the more parts you have to change to make sure it can put the HP onto the ground reliably.

Reminds me of a friend who put a highly tuned small block Chevy into a Porsche 944 to run club races. After 5 years, he never completed a single race with that car but runs it now in his 911S.

If you want a lot of HP, you should get a high HP car to begin with.
I have a Twin Turbo Corvette....has nothing to do with trying to have the most but, I want to squeeze every bit of power safely out of my JCW as possible. Dont need to be told I don't need more, I already know that. I want feedback from people that have the same intrest in increasing the power. I am looking at some parts from Alta.

OH...bye the way my TT Corvette is taken on 1,00 mile trips to car shows to promote my business and I take it to the track on occasion. If you going to build a car right you will have a reliable car...if your buddy never finished a race it because it was probably not built correctly...

Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
I have a Twin Turbo Corvette....has nothing to do with trying to have the most but, I want to squeeze every bit of power safely out of my JCW as possible. Dont need to be told I don't need more, I already know that. I want feedback from people that have the same intrest in increasing the power. I am looking at some parts from Alta.

OH...bye the way my TT Corvette is taken on 1,00 mile trips to car shows to promote my business and I take it to the track on occasion. If you going to build a car right you will have a reliable car...if your buddy never finished a race it because it was probably not built correctly...
Thanks for your flame reply. I guess there is no place for a different opinion.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Thanks for your flame reply. I guess there is no place for a different opinion.
UH yeah OK....Read my origional post...it didn't say should I add more HP...it says the best way to ADD HP. I wasn't looking for your opinion, just good information from people who have done mods. You may like your car stock and don't care about power, and thats fine but, your in a thread where most here are on the subject of performance.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
UH yeah OK....Read my origional post...it didn't say should I add more HP...it says the best way to ADD HP. I wasn't looking for your opinion, just good information from people who have done mods. You may like your car stock and don't care about power, and thats fine but, your in a thread where most here are on the subject of performance.
Keep your shirt on. Don't go ballistic here. We all have to get along.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Keep your shirt on. Don't go ballistic here. We all have to get along.
Not even slightly ballistic... .....didn't even launch. Just trying to get some good direction.....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Best Way to increase HP??? Anyone?