Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Turbo Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WMW Turbo Wrap

Way put a WMW Turbo Wrap on Arthur last night and I'm about to start gathering data on temperature differences.

Initial observations:
Center pillar temperature
before: 140 degrees
after: 126 degrees
Bonnet temp after a brisk run and 5 minutes cool time
before: 180 degrees
after: 140 degrees

Under-bonnet temps ---- I wish I rigged something to measure this while running the car before; I'll rig something up though.
I'll need another R56 mule car for comparison.

It looks to me like the wrap does what it's supposed to do and keeps the turbo heat in the turbo rather than in the open area under the bonnet --- it lets the air intake stay cooler and keeps overall temperatures down while the car is running. Logic tells you that the turbo would spool faster as a result and work more effectively.
After shut-down, it also holds in warmth; I'm guessing that this will also offer a benefit for quicker engine warm-ups in start/stop situations.
Stay tuned for updates...

Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the info. What did you use for temp measurements, and what is the "center pillar"?

How easy was the install of the wrap? Pictures would be rockin'!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
My pictures came out horrible; I'm going to try and clean them up in the digital darkroom --- blurry blurry.

Install won't be too bad with a cool turbo; Way was suffering a bit on my 300 degree oven though.

The center pillar is the doo-hickey that your right foot is up against as you press on the gas; I've been moaning about the radiant heat coming off that for almost a year...

I'm going to rig a probe and lead to plant somewhere near the cai. I'll measure everything I can get my paws on too.

I used an infrared gun to measure, btw. I have some probes and stuff laying around that I'll rig later.
I'm the senior admin for an Agilent Technologies training lab...

Last edited by Arnbut; 05-13-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
I tried my best to get a the center foot area hot. No dice. Unless my heater is on it never gets warm. IDK what is up with this 128degree foot well, i really do not get it. Mine is a September 07 build.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
PGT
Banned
hmmm.....not to take away from Way if this is somehow custom for the MINI or better, but Summit Racing sells Thermotec turbo blankets for $35-95, depending on what you need.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
From the WMW product description:

"...help the turbo be more efficient and cool down more quickly after the car has been powered off."

How does it help the turbo cool down if it retains the heat inside?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
PGT
Banned
it doesn't radiate to the engine bay, it flows out the exhaust

Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
it doesn't radiate to the engine bay, it flows out the exhaust

Good point. Thanks for clearing that up.

What is the downside to this? My bonnet gets and stays so hot that I can't imagine the paint being able to withstand this for more than a couple years.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
PGT
Banned
downside is shortened turbo life from the heat retained in the bearings and poss condensation buildup (not very likely). most modern turbo's are oil-cooled and fluids flow after the engine is shut off. Not knowing how MINI tackled this (timer or temp sensor), none of this might be an issue though.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
hmmm.....not to take away from Way if this is somehow custom for the MINI or better, but Summit Racing sells Thermotec turbo blankets for $35-95, depending on what you need.
The devil is to make it fit under the stock heatshield.... ....it's a squeeze.

The way I look at it is, heat=energy. Waste heat, waste energy.
I don't want heat in my CAI; I do want exhaust heat to spin my turbo.
That's the way I understand the product to work. Forgive me if I don't phrase things perfectly all the time.... ....I don't do this for a living you know.

Arthur is my wife's DD so my testing will be evenings and weekend. I'll get a chance to thrash the car on Saturday the 24th and hopefully have a couple of other R56's to test alongside.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Originally Posted by PGT
The WMW wrap I have IS Custom made to fit the MINI turbo.
The one you had pictured is just a generic wrap material. If it is Glass it can only handle 1000-1200 deg of heat continuously depending on what it is coated with. The 2000 deg max. temp it can withstand for less than 3 seconds. I didn't see where Summit even said what the wrap they had was made from, but may have overlooked it.
The WMW wrap is made with Silica and Ceramic materials that are able to withstand 1800 deg. CONTINUOUSLY. Not just a Max number.

The MINI R56 Water pump runs for 5min after shutdown to cool the Turbo bearings so we have been checking the inlet and outlet on the coolant lines on the Turbo to see if we see an increase in temps and there hasn't been. Actually the last time I checked it seemed like the water cooled quicker. But more testing will be needed to make this fact.
We Do know that the Wrap will lower the under hood temps and Hood temps for that matter. Also it WILL hold the Heat in the Turbo Hot Side. This helps maintain thermal effeciency of the turbo and promote faster Turbo spool.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
The one you had pictured is just a generic wrap material.
exactly....I alluded to that in my post. I know the Suby guys use them and they regularly see EGT's from 1600-1800F, so, they must be ok.

having one made to fit under the OEM heatshield is very nice

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way, will you be making one to fit the bigger turbo on the JCW car? If so put me down for one.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
terryg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfgang80
Good point. Thanks for clearing that up.

What is the downside to this? My bonnet gets and stays so hot that I can't imagine the paint being able to withstand this for more than a couple years.
The shield makes a huge difference with hood temps. Hopefully Arnbut will do a much better job than I did of actually measuring and recording the temps

At the WMW pre-MOTD mod frenzy, a few of us took turns wrapping our hands around the hot side of the wrapped turbo while the car was in cooldown phase, and it was barely warm to the touch. Way even did it while the car was running! Please do NOT try this with the OEM shield

Disclaimer: I host the website and e-mail for WMW. Updated signature reflecting this coming soon

Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
terryg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mozza
Way, will you be making one to fit the bigger turbo on the JCW car? If so put me down for one.
Are you getting the new stage II kit? :drool:

Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
im going to have to get one of these soon. i like the coating i saw on your downpipe too. can you guys fill me in on how well it works .

Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by terryg
Are you getting the new stage II kit? :drool:
Yep JCW factory car on order .

Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
No offense but $175 seems high for this piece. Just my personal opinion.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Call
4th Gear
Would it be possible to provide addtional information as to why one would value your personal opinion in evaluating the price of this product?

Call

Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by terryg
Way even did it while the car was running!
The pics of the install aren't too good; I was trying to take shots of the IR gun and hot pieces and I didn't have enough light to focus....
Here's a shot of Way's hand on the heatshield with the wrap under it. This is post-install --- the turbo had gotten "down" to about 180 degrees and then I allowed it to come back up to a nominal 216-225. The shield area was around 100 degrees.

Name:  100_4113.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  55.9 KB

The cover will start to pick up and radiate heat from its other metal to metal contacts, but the overall scorching heat is contained.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:13 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
so is it a must have mod? opinions/ advice?do you have one on or is that another mini guys car? what is it doing for your car in everyday driving? just want to know more before i get one.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
so is it a must have mod? opinions/ advice?do you have one on or is that another mini guys car? what is it doing for your car in everyday driving? just want to know more before i get one.
I'm going to keep posting updates and I'm sure that Terry will too.
My wife said that the bonnet was "cold" when she got to work yesterday and the recirc pump didn't need to run (50 degrees out). The recirc pump ran normally for its 5 minute cycle yesterday afternoon when it was 80 outside --- but the bonnet wasn't scalding-hot.
Neat.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
hum i think that is something that would help down here in south florida melting heat.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:59 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Call
Would it be possible to provide addtional information as to why one would value your personal opinion in evaluating the price of this product?

Call
It is an open forum. No one asks for most things posted.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Call
4th Gear
Lono, I was just hoping to add value to your opinion. It might help others to better understand the pricing for such an item as this; especially since your opinion on the price was so definitive...maybe you knew something others did.

Call

Quick Reply: Drivetrain WMW Turbo Wrap