Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain WMW Turbo Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:38 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok its on . i have to wait on pics . gf is gone with it tonight. one thing i can tell you is it smokes after you heat it up . i know its curing on but it will make you think your car is going to burn. i took it for a spin and got it good in hot so maybe it can do most of the curing tonight. i talked to way and he is right on the money when it comes to the heat shield bolts. pita. he said some guys were leaving the major pita bolts off and that they had no problems and i will be doing the same until i get a 10mm wrench i can fit good in there. one thing i did do was trim the opening of the o2 sensor hole . i made it bigger so you can fit the sensor plug through it. im figuring on getting the downpipe soon if the money comes in and it will help with the install of that. also i made the hole look nice too so it doesnt look like i just chopped a big chunk of it out. one wrench that would have helped is a box ratching wrench with i dont have yet but i will next time ,one other thing i can see is the wrench needs to be a long one. more to come. got to hit the bed soon im on duty tomorrow. up at 3am for a nice long drive to work . oh boy.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
ok its on . i have to wait on pics . gf is gone with it tonight. one thing i can tell you is it smokes after you heat it up . i know its curing on but it will make you think your car is going to burn. i took it for a spin and got it good in hot so maybe it can do most of the curing tonight. i talked to way and he is right on the money when it comes to the heat shield bolts. pita. he said some guys were leaving the major pita bolts off and that they had no problems and i will be doing the same until i get a 10mm wrench i can fit good in there. one thing i did do was trim the opening of the o2 sensor hole . i made it bigger so you can fit the sensor plug through it. im figuring on getting the downpipe soon if the money comes in and it will help with the install of that. also i made the hole look nice too so it doesnt look like i just chopped a big chunk of it out. one wrench that would have helped is a box ratching wrench with i dont have yet but i will next time ,one other thing i can see is the wrench needs to be a long one. more to come. got to hit the bed soon im on duty tomorrow. up at 3am for a nice long drive to work . oh boy.
good to hear you have been taken care of and you are installed and working...what Way and I did on mine, is we ran it decently HARD for about quarter mile about 3 or 4 runs, came back and let it sit idle for a but...then i drove it as i would any other day for about 2 miles home, and no more smoke, but after the first quarter mile....WOW i thought no way that was that normal, but sure enough it was...

Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Here is a hint on how to deal the front 2 pita bolts:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...3&postcount=58

Cheers.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:19 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
thanks buddy. i will do that after i put the downpipe on when i get it. hey you have any pics of how you have your wrap tucked in by the cooling lines. i did the best i could do . just want a second look at someone elses. pip pip cheerieo and all that

Old 05-22-2008, 03:59 AM
ondrovic
4th Gear
Hey Hendricks - I like your gauges so much so much that I'm getting Way to hook me up next week in Atlanta with the same setup as well as the wrap. Thanks for the inspiration bro. I'll post pics after the install.

Arnbut - thanks for the scoop on the wrap and under hood temp reduction!

Last edited by ondrovic; 05-22-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ondrovic
Hey Hendricks - I like your gauges so much so much that I'm getting Way to hook me up next week in Atlanta with the same setup as well as the wrap. Thanks for the inspiration bro. I'll post pics after the install.

Arnbut - thanks for the scoop on the wrap and under hood temp reduction!
That's what I like to hear...my Dad, who bought an '08 JCW Stage 1 after I bought my car, just put them in his because he liked them so much...one thing to make sure you have him do....WHITE during day and RED at night....if you do red during the day you cant read them, just a bt of advance bc he originally made mine red all the time...but again, good to hear

Old 05-22-2008, 04:32 AM
ondrovic
4th Gear
Thanks again hendricks, I'll have them set up white/red. Appreciate it!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
The WMW wrap I have IS Custom made to fit the MINI turbo.
The one you had pictured is just a generic wrap material. If it is Glass it can only handle 1000-1200 deg of heat continuously depending on what it is coated with. The 2000 deg max. temp it can withstand for less than 3 seconds. I didn't see where Summit even said what the wrap they had was made from, but may have overlooked it.
The WMW wrap is made with Silica and Ceramic materials that are able to withstand 1800 deg. CONTINUOUSLY. Not just a Max number.

Isn't this rather unnessicary since the pipe itself is never that hot?

Steel melts at 1800 F. The melting point for 300 series stainless is 2200F and the service temperature should be about 1000F to 2100F. So having header wrap that is good for 1800F if over kill since the metal that is closer to the exhaust gas should never get that hot.

I would assume that the gas temperature may get that hot, but it is flowing away from the piping and does not have enough time to transfer the energy to the metal itself.

So i would imagine the regular header wrap to be as good as the ceramic for this application?

Last edited by Bhatch; 05-22-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Has anyone here ever worked with turbos beside possibly driving a car with one installed or just knowing the buzz word ?? The stuff that I am seeing is just absolutely funny !!

Look at some of the big name folks that have been working with turbos for more years than some people ages at this site. Proof is out there, do the proper research (googling does not constitute research). There are vendors doing full vehicle turbo kits retrofit and are warranting the turbos for 5 years with full wraps larger and thicker than WMW ! They have been doing for over 20 years, if they where having such problems via claims and warranty work, they would not offer such a deal. Not even MINI stands behind their stuff for that long without paying extra.

What WMW has done is nothing new or bleeding edge. Hell there is NOTHING for MINI's that has not been done many years ago on other vehicles and proven. All this stuff has been out there for many years and working just fine. Just because its not on the web does not mean it was not done or does not work or does not exist. The world did revolve before the internet.

Yes, wrapped/insulated turbo have a cooler compressor side, reduced intake temps, quicker response and more. I have been using them for many many years on a variety of turbos from tiny ones like the MINI to ones that need a forklift to move and can suck right through at speed. All in bad environments and running for many years. Would not change a thing. Do not be surprised when you start seeing MINI with wraps since the stupid engineers thought sticking a red hot unit inches from the hood was a great idea and have no clue on how to make a cast tuned header with proper bends.

This place is a hoot, one day its **** fest against Alta, another day WMW, another M7 and so one. No one has data/facts to prove their claims. However, when someone steps forward to prove facts, everyone goes silent, many threads here to prove that !

The amount of pissing here is greater than Niagara Falls ! Now only if we could harness that power ..... oh wait ..... the controversy on the power gain would predict otherwise .....

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i got to go pee.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
ondrovic
4th Gear
Thank you Morbius, very well said!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
benfica09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by morbius
This place is a hoot, one day its **** fest against Alta, another day WMW, another M7 and so one. No one has data/facts to prove their claims. However, when someone steps forward to prove facts, everyone goes silent, many threads here to prove that !

The amount of pissing here is greater than Niagara Falls ! Now only if we could harness that power ..... oh wait ..... the controversy on the power gain would predict otherwise .....

Old 05-22-2008, 11:02 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
maybe that was the intention of the facts being stated: to listen and learn.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Thank god, I was starting to think I was the only one seeing this...

Thanks Morbius!

Last edited by JAceMin; 05-22-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
ok im done peeing

Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
ok im done peeing
Hope everything came out all right!

Morbius - +1. Thinking the same thing!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
im good thanks

Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by morbius

I hope it's not always this way...lol That's a big reason I left the Mercedes boards.

Back on topic - I received my wrap today and will be installing it over the weekend. I'll try and take some in progress pics to post for anyone that needs help.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:19 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
jolly good joshk. look forward to the pics . i would do it but the gf is still out of town with the camera.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:05 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joshK
Back on topic - I received my wrap today and will be installing it over the weekend. I'll try and take some in progress pics to post for anyone that needs help.

Again, it smokes like a mother, dont forget

Old 05-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Morbius -- fbirch,
I'll be using external probes and infrared at various points for comparison tomorrow; no probe insertions.
I do work for Agilent Technologies, after all... If I could manage the loan of a Trex unit I could hook up an inductive lead on the .... ...never mind...

Old 05-23-2008, 05:20 AM
fbirch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Morbius -- fbirch,
I'll be using external probes and infrared at various points for comparison tomorrow; no probe insertions.
I do work for Agilent Technologies, after all... If I could manage the loan of a Trex unit I could hook up an inductive lead on the .... ...never mind...
Arnbut - Thanks, I'll be interested to see your results. I'm not sure if there's any way to accomplish it, but I'd love to see the temperature delta (before after) of the turbine-side housing, and the same data for the compressor-side housing, as well as the plumbing up to the intake. I strongly suspect there will be a worthwhile decrease on the compressor/intake plumbing side, but I'm more interested in the temperature delta on the other side.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fbirch
Arnbut - Thanks, I'll be interested to see your results. I'm not sure if there's any way to accomplish it, but I'd love to see the temperature delta (before after) of the turbine-side housing, and the same data for the compressor-side housing, as well as the plumbing up to the intake. I strongly suspect there will be a worthwhile decrease on the compressor/intake plumbing side, but I'm more interested in the temperature delta on the other side.
Can you hump-up one of the pictures with x's and arrows (Paint or Photoshop) to show good spots to get infrared readings?
I'm hoping that Trinity comes out to play tomorrow to compare my car to hers.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
those readings would be awesome and im not a smoker anymore.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Morbius -- fbirch,
Great, thanks ! I use Agilent scopes at work. Love it !

Quick Reply: Drivetrain WMW Turbo Wrap