Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Where Can I Find Meguiars M-80 In New Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Peter W.
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where Can I Find Meguiars M-80 In New Jersey?

Just wondering if anyone can help me find a place in new jersey that sells meguiars M-80 Speed Glaze. I was detailing alot of cars and I ran out. I have to detail another car tomorrow and I need more. If anyone can please help me that would be great. Thanks for your time..

Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How close are you to Lodi?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find your nearest PB&E store--the small mom & pop stores that cater to body shops. Might be in the phone book, or might be able to find out by asking a local shop where they buy their polishing supplies from. Most will have M80 or can get it for you within a day.

Richard

Originally Posted by Peter W.
Just wondering if anyone can help me find a place in new jersey that sells meguiars M-80 Speed Glaze. I was detailing alot of cars and I ran out. I have to detail another car tomorrow and I need more. If anyone can please help me that would be great. Thanks for your time..

Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Peter W.
4th Gear
I am about 25 minutes friom Lodi. What kind of store is in Lodi? I am also in the need of some pads(Meguirs or Lake Country). OctaneGuy..what is a PB&E shop, I dont know what that stands for, please help. I would really appreciate the help..Thanks for the replies before

Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM
OctaneGuy
Paint Body & Equipment. They are the stores that supply body shops--basically local wholesale shops that sell to the local shops that use tons of product. They are in just about every town that has a body shop, but they are a bit hard to find--that's why I suggested asking a body shop.

You can also try this though I find the data for CA is outdated.

http://www.meguiars.com/dealerlocator/

Richard

I am about 25 minutes friom Lodi. What kind of store is in Lodi? I am also in the need of some pads(Meguirs or Lake Country). OctaneGuy..what is a PB&E shop, I dont know what that stands for, please help. I would really appreciate the help..Thanks for the replies before

Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Peter W.
4th Gear
thanks for the response..I have a question OctaneGuy(Richard right?)..What pads do you use for Prima Epic and Amigo. I used Lake Country's white pad for both and I think it came out pretty nice. Would you suggest something different? Another question is that I used the M80 and it took out alot of scratches but there were these fine scratches(I guess they were a little deeper than the other ones) that became less evident but they were not removed? Would the M83 make that much of a difference than the M80 to get these scratches out?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
OctaneGuy
M83 is twice as aggressive as M80 and MAY take them out. In some cases, only a rotary will work to fully remove all the scratches. Generally, you will use M83 if M80 isn't giving the results you want. You MIGHT follow with M80 or you might go straight to wax--all depends on how you like the results. For me, M83 isn't much fun to work with because it gums up the pad. DP's Swirl does this too, and is also a reason why I'm not fond of the product.

Amigo will help hide any very light scratches that you didnt' get out--it's something you have to try to see if it looks good or not. A similar type product is #7 Show Car Glaze which is a pure polish. It's similar in that it beautifies the finish after you've polished it out but before you wax, but different in that Amigo offers some protection as well as ability to mask minor defects.

I use the W9006 Finishing Pad for applying Epic. You aren't removing any swirls at this point--it's purely for a non aggressive means of applying a wax, so the softest pad is the best.

If you're happy with the results of your pad choice, that's what matters--"no need to fix what ain't broke",

Richard (Yep that's me!)

thanks for the response..I have a question OctaneGuy(Richard right?)..What pads do you use for Prima Epic and Amigo. I used Lake Country's white pad for both and I think it came out pretty nice. Would you suggest something different? Another question is that I used the M80 and it took out alot of scratches but there were these fine scratches(I guess they were a little deeper than the other ones) that became less evident but they were not removed? Would the M83 make that much of a difference than the M80 to get these scratches out?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Peter W.
4th Gear
thanks for the infomation Richard! What pad should I use for the M83 if I use it..Can I use the yellow Meguiars pad and how much do I use? How long do I work the M83 for before it starts to gum and and become a mess?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
OctaneGuy
Well like I said, I like the Meguiar's system because it's simple.

You have only one pad choice when it comes to removing defects.
W8006 yellow polishing pad.

When applying wax you should use the finest and softest pad
W9006 tan finishing pad

You will have to play with M83 to see how it works. Just clean the pad often--once it starts to saturate or if you work it in too long, you may experience some difficulty in removing it. You should find that you can work M80 a lot longer before wiping and will require less effort to do so, but still M83 is very effective.

Btw, M83 is also known as DACP or Dual Action Cleaner Polish, don't get this confused with PCDA which looks kinda similar.

thanks for the infomation Richard! What pad should I use for the M83 if I use it..Can I use the yellow Meguiars pad and how much do I use? How long do I work the M83 for before it starts to gum and and become a mess?

Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
M83 is twice as aggressive as M80 and MAY take them out. In some cases, only a rotary will work to fully remove all the scratches. Generally, you will use M83 if M80 isn't giving the results you want. You MIGHT follow with M80 or you might go straight to wax--all depends on how you like the results. For me, M83 isn't much fun to work with because it gums up the pad. DP's Swirl does this too, and is also a reason why I'm not fond of the product.

Amigo will help hide any very light scratches that you didnt' get out--it's something you have to try to see if it looks good or not. A similar type product is #7 Show Car Glaze which is a pure polish. It's similar in that it beautifies the finish after you've polished it out but before you wax, but different in that Amigo offers some protection as well as ability to mask minor defects.

I use the W9006 Finishing Pad for applying Epic. You aren't removing any swirls at this point--it's purely for a non aggressive means of applying a wax, so the softest pad is the best.

If you're happy with the results of your pad choice, that's what matters--"no need to fix what ain't broke",

Richard (Yep that's me!)
Peter- I agree with Richard that the best choice for any wax, like Epic, is a finishing pad (W9006 Meg's or the black pad Lake Country). Yet, the white will work just fine too because it really isn't dense enough to have any aggression.

However, knowing that you work on such a variety of cars, and thus a variety of paint softness, I would recommend switching to a finishing pad- or at least for your super soft paints. Although the white pad will work great with Epic for most cars, it may be too much for your BMWs and Ferraris (and resprays). For these, I'd definitely use a finishing pad, like the black pad, with Epic.

On the topic of removing the deeper scratches, I think this is where the Lake Country pads and their varying densities can come in very handy. The denser pads (orange and yellow) and a more aggressive polish can do just as much paint correction as a rotary. The only drawback is that it will take more time and more steps to achieve the same results as the rotary. On the flip side, the rotary can easily leave burn marks and other more serious issues. So, the extra time with the PC and the Lake Country pads is usually worth it for the same end result!

As you're working on customer cars, I would recommend using heavier abrasives and denser pads on just the areas which really need it. In most cases, you may not need to have so many extra steps on areas that are in better condition.

Most of the more aggressive polishes will be somewhat gummy when used with the PC. They aren't gummy with the rotary because the rotary heats the polish up, thereby loosening it up. IMO though, the gummier polishes are still very easy to work with- you just get used to them pretty quickly. Richard has the luxury of being an expert with the rotary so he doesn't have to get used to these things because he can just switch to the rotary instead! We've been using all levels of aggressive abrasives for years, many of which can get gummy, but I can't even remember the last time I consciously noticed the gumminess. It's easy to get used to!

MiniMaybee uses the Swirl a good bit... how long did it take you to get used to its consistancy?

-Heather

Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I have found that the Swirl will not really gum-up my pad so much as kind of seal it. As a result the longer I use it the less Swirl I have to reapply for the next section. I do remove the surface build-up frequently (every other section or so), but that is just a quick brushing. I have not seen a consistency change while working an area though, but I tend to do smaller areas rather than larger.
As I wrote in an other thread I mainly use the white pad for Swirl and Amigo on the MINI, however I switched to the orange pad for the Expedition since I wasn't making much headway. With the orange pad I was able to move much quicker.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
OctaneGuy
I think I'm going to get some LC pads from Heather to re-evaluate my stance on Swirl. I love the rotary, but even with that tool, I still experience gumminess (stickiness of product when trying to wipe it off) from even Meguiar's polishes, just less so with M80 and M82, that's why I'm always using them.

Richard

Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise
Most of the more aggressive polishes will be somewhat gummy when used with the PC. They aren't gummy with the rotary because the rotary heats the polish up, thereby loosening it up. IMO though, the gummier polishes are still very easy to work with- you just get used to them pretty quickly. Richard has the luxury of being an expert with the rotary so he doesn't have to get used to these things because he can just switch to the rotary instead! We've been using all levels of aggressive abrasives for years, many of which can get gummy, but I can't even remember the last time I consciously noticed the gumminess. It's easy to get used to!

MiniMaybee uses the Swirl a good bit... how long did it take you to get used to its consistancy?

-Heather

Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 PM
hugh
5th Gear
The shop in Lodi is Car Care Specialties, Inc. They have a complete pro-line of Meguires, 3M, P21S and several other polishes, including of course M 80. They've also got all kinds of pads, polishing cloths, etc. as well as free advice. If he's not too busy, he'll go out and take a look at your ride and give you his recommendations.

They're located at 116 Main St -- 1.877.796.8300 -- call before you go for directions and to be sure what you want is in stock.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Hugh

Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by hugh
The shop in Lodi is Car Care Specialties, Inc. They have a complete pro-line of Meguires, 3M, P21S and several other polishes, including of course M 80. They've also got all kinds of pads, polishing cloths, etc. as well as free advice. If he's not too busy, he'll go out and take a look at your ride and give you his recommendations.

They're located at 116 Main St -- 1.877.796.8300 -- call before you go for directions and to be sure what you want is in stock.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Hugh
Great recommendation, Hugh!

I can also highly recommend this place. The owner, Larry, is extremely helpful and really knows his stuff. He is the Godfather of detailing. No joke. He's also just a great guy.

-Heather