Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

almost done !

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 AM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost done !

So yes it can be said that I have a slight case of ADD when it comes to cleaning. With the invasion this weekend I decided about 2 weeks ago to clean up the JCW. Here is what has been done. Wet sand the entire car with 1500 to remove orange peel. Then follow with 2000 and 2500 and 3000.

After sanding

Next came time to bring back the shine. I started with Presto cutting gel on the PC and worked it ( several times.....)

You can see the top half getting the shine back slowly

The next step was to go over it a few passes using ultimate compound to remove any haze left.

After all the compund ing there were still some fine marks randomly.over the car so I followed it with mefuires fine cut cleaner and then 2.0 swirl remover.

Swirl free by this.point but still not quite right to me ( again super picky )

The next two steps was to over the whole car with a very light polish and followed with meguiars show car glaze. After letting that sit for a few hours I followed with a coat of UPW and buffed to a shine.. I used the UPW as more of a sealant than a wax just an FYI. After that cured for about 36 hours I followed that with a coat of gold class plus carnuba and buffed out. 2 more coats to go but here is where it stand so far.

Now time to do the wheels and windows. Little OCD ?

Old 08-21-2015, 04:58 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
WOW--very nice. A lot of work for tremendous results...nice job.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:02 AM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
WOW--very nice. A lot of work for tremendous results...nice job.
Thanks! I don't have any real sunny pics as the sun hasn't come out yet today. I am at it early as want 2 more coats of carnuba and like to let them cure a while between.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow looks very good, i always wanted to polish my windows but i really dont know how, please could you let us know "the how" on the windows?

Thanks

Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow! Do you have a before shot of the car? Can you come do my car next? Great work.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Chippawaguy
1st Gear
If your ever in the Kitchener Ontario area PLEASE drop by I will supply the beer good CANADIAN BEER !!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sub3622
wow looks very good, i always wanted to polish my windows but i really dont know how, please could you let us know "the how" on the windows?

Thanks
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of me doing the steps but I can give a brief write up of how it's done ( or at least how I do it ) I am a also going to assume you just washed the car to start.

1- I use a long scraper with a razor blade attachment on the end in the first step. I soak the window with whatever glass cleaner you use but I'm just leaving the window wet with it in order to use it like lube. Using the scrapper on a very shallow angle I work top to bottom gently scrapping the window clean.
2- I spray the wi down down again with the glass cleaner and this time using a micro fiber towel give it a quick clean to get all the crap I just scrapped off
3- next I use clay just like on the paint but I just use the glass cleaner as lube and go over the whole area with it.
4-give the glass a quick wipe to get off any leftover bits and your ready to polish
5- I use my PC polisher with a semi flexible backing plate and no backing pad. Put on a Glass polishing pad to that and set the polisher to 6. Apply your polish directly to the pad and work in in just a little with your fingers so it doesn't sling. I do about 4 passes and always go up down ( no reason its just what I do )
6- wipe all the polish off and hit the glass with your cleaner and clean anything remaining just as you would normally clean the window
7-i then apply a coating of rainx (or something similar) let it dry and polish off with a micro fiber towel
8- lastly I rake my towel and spray some glass cleaner on it, pinch the wiper blade and run my hand down to clean the blade itself.

All done. Anyone that says you need to polish the inside is in my opinion mistaken. There will be nothing I'm bedded on the inside glass and if there is you have done something seriously wrong lol. I have used meguiars cleaner wax on the inside before ( not on tint!!) But didn't see any better results or longer lasting

Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chippawaguy
If your ever in the Kitchener Ontario area PLEASE drop by I will supply the beer good CANADIAN BEER !!!!
Hey I think I was trying to get you to come by milton a few weeks ago

Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Chippawaguy
1st Gear
was that you on the Southern Ontario Mini club site??

Old 08-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chippawaguy
was that you on the Southern Ontario Mini club site??
Yes sir

Old 08-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Wow! Do you have a before shot of the car? Can you come do my car next? Great work.
Sorry no before pics but here is one of the hood now that all the carnuba is done. Looks like you can swim in the paint now

Done with polish and wax etc... looks wet to me !

Old 08-21-2015, 03:09 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Overpolished, thank you very much for the info..

Old 08-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sub3622
Overpolished, thank you very much for the info..
Any time..

Old 08-21-2015, 04:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Overpolished
Sorry no before pics but here is one of the hood now that all the carnuba is done. Looks like you can swim in the paint now

Done with polish and wax etc... looks wet to me !
It definitely looks like you could go swimming. Impressive.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Gorgeous Did you do the Black top also? What did you use on the Stripes? The is the nicest Red I have seen you did a great job how long did it take. Wonder how it would work on wife's Sparkling Silver/Black Clubman.

Tom

Old 08-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Overpolished
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TBRoye
Gorgeous Did you do the Black top also? What did you use on the Stripes? The is the nicest Red I have seen you did a great job how long did it take. Wonder how it would work on wife's Sparkling Silver/Black Clubman.

Tom
HI Tom
I would say start to finish it took around 60 hours. The stripes just have a few layers of carnuba on them. I found the black for some reason had very little orange peel so all the trim was just taped off and I used a fairly agressive pad and the cutting cream polish etc.
A lot.of the time spent was on the doors believe it or not. They curve in several different directions and are hard to get the bottom half polished back out. I would guess at least 10.hours a door which sounds crazy I know. I have done much bigger cars in less time but I also had to pack everything away each night as I no longer have the garage I used to