Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (C.O.R.N.) club forum.

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip

Woke up early Saturday. Not a normal thing. So rather than go back to sleep, decided to go on a MINI road trip.
Leaving Minden, NE West on hwy 34 took a look at the new track in Hastings. www.racemph.com looks like it will be a great time durring the NASA event at the end of this month.
Topped off the tank at the Shell station on Burlington in Hastings. Ventured on south toward the Kansas border. I decided to do a little research for the Great Denver to St. Louis to Dragon caravan next May. Looking for a few backroads for the group to travel through Kansas and maybe some places to eat/sleep.
So on with the exploration.
First real find on the trip was the geographic center of the Contenental US just North of Lebanon, KS.

It was not Sunday but I did find this MINI Church.
Several miles down the road I came across what else but

That is right a giant ball of twine. (Cawker City, KS)
At this time the wind had picked up quite a bit so it was not much fun to walk around and look so it was back in the car for more driving.

Next stop, Glen Elder, KS and I find what? Thats right another MINI Church.

Then as I was getting back behind the wheel I look up and see this. I could not resist pulling into the fortress for some shelter.

Locals tell me it used to be a filling station. Looks like it was converted to Apartments.
Then it was back on the road to investigate the actual route that we may use for the Dragon in May. I come around the corner (yes they exist in Kansas) and find this on top of a hill.

Quite a good sign for a Dragon Trip. Took a shot of Trogdor and This dragon together.

There were other dragons along K-18 between Beverly, KS and Luray, KS
here is another

Made a stop in Lincoln, KS looking for local information. Marlynn a store owner welcomed me in for a couple pieces of pie and some apple/cranberry cider. Great hospitality in that little town.
On to Lucas, KS
Some American Fork art and......

the famous Garden of Eden but it was closed. Guess I had to much pie and conversation in Lincoln.

Shortly after this I was on the return trip to the Nebraska state line when I saw this and just had to take a picture.

Just goes to show you that not everything is right on the interstates. The real storys of America are out there you just have to take the time to go on an adventure to find them. The MINI is a great tool for doing that. The car just opens people up for a conversation everywhere you stop. Most folks on the roads I traveled had never heard of a MINI much less seen one. Therefore I had a great time talking about the MINI and they had a great time telling me about the interesting things in the area they lived in.

Please feel free to tell me about your travels here in this thread.
Thanks for reading hope I did not put anyone to sleep.

Motor on!
Jim

Old 09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
ricky
2nd Gear
Not asleep here Jim. Lots of neat stuff down there.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 AM
totamdu
3rd Gear
I am thinking of driving across NE into CO in a few weeks. The purpose would be to drive the Million Dollar Highway west of Denver. It's supposed to be one of the top 10 scenic drives in the US. It will be on a Monday/Tuesday, my crappy days off. I'm gonna need a good relaxing drive after these next few week and before the Xmas party season starts. I might go down through Missouri in Nov too.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Zyamfier
Now will be a good time. I think the aspens will be turning soon.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Very cool Jim I always seem to not get shots like that when I travel. I'm too busy trying to get somewhere to take in the scenery. I like that Ball of Twine for some reason

Old 09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Zyamfier
That was a good Saturday for me. It would be normal for me to be in a hurry also but I just made no plan and drove just to enjoy it. I don't think I even went over the speed limit. Just took it slow and pulled off at each little town to see what was there. The best part was seeing all the locals double take at the MINI. You could tell they had never seen anything like it. So be nice to the locals and take your MINI to the back roads you will enjoy it and so will they.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
There are things to see in Nebraska and Kansas...

...ell All beee!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:52 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I know what you mean. Not alot to see around here really. When I was a kid, we used to take road trips from Chicago to Galena. I remember the roads being nice and hilly out that way. A lot of towns along the way. I might have to do that again sometime. Either that or drive down to visit my folks down near Paris, TN. Its supposed to be a nice drive too.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Tiemmothi
1st Gear
I took a road trip to the Mini Dealer in Littleton today... went the fast way there and took a senic route back. Was very cool, went up to Estis Park, cut accross to Fort Collins and then east to 85 back to Cheyenne (then fast road to Sidney.) Some really nice curvy roads out that way, Gonna have to do that again before it gets to late in the fall. Unfortunatly I left my camera on the end table near the door :(