Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (C.O.R.N.) club forum.

Which version should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 PM
MiniShini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to get local opinions on this....

I'm looking for a Mini Cooper, it's my first. I'll be using it as a daily driver putting on approximately 100 highway miles a day. I'm in love with the coupe S, but I don't know if that's what I should get. My husband is doing a lot of reading on this and other sites and so we'd like some advice.

Should we get the S or should we stick with the standard model? It will be a six speed either way. If we are set on the "S" version, would we be better off with a 2006 "S" vs a 2007 or later "S"?

I'm a little crazy - not criminal - just crazy. I generally plan to get a speeding ticket once a year. I love to drive. I love my music loud.

My husband is slightly less crazy and wants to get a car that won't be a complete PITA needing constant repairs or otherwise lacking in reliability.

I always drive the wheels off my cars, my current car has over 205,000 miles on it and runs just fine. I would expect to drive my mini for at least 150,000. Will an S last that long?

Either tell me I'm too crazy and need a standard model, or tell my husband to chill out a bit. And I'm impatient as hell too, so I might have a car tomorrow afternoon!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:56 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you driven both? The Cooper non S is mechanically simpler an therefore has less that can go wrong. If you have fun in the base model it will likely give you many trouble free miles. I'm a spirited driver and I drive my base hard and it's a blast. For me the S isn't worth the extra cash and potential maintenance, but everyone is different in what they need out of a car.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
First, congrats on finding the MINI. Once you find the one you want you will never be the same.
Now on to the choice. S or Non-S.
For me in 2005 there was no choice. The S was the one.
So lets put this in perspective with the following questions.
  • Ever thought about taking part in track days? Answer for this is S
  • How about auto-x? answer for this type of driving is either S or Non S because they don't run in the same class.
  • Doing a lot of Highway driving? Both can be enjoyable but the S will get you out from behind that Semi truck faster.
  • Planning on making road trips with other MINI folks? The S has less range and those of us who mod our cars get even less mileage. So the non-S drivers always get to say "What you guys have to stop already?"
  • Worried about maintenance? Yes the turbo can heat up. Yes there are more parts that can have issues. However, if you are doing mostly highway miles you may not be getting the turbo heat building up under the bonnet. As has been stated on your other posts changing the oil on the S model every 5K is a must. There have been issues with oil on both the Supercharged and Turbo S models. I know of only one person that I know personally and that was a supercharged S
  • High miles on a Cooper S? On the 2nd Gen (Turbo S) I know of no one personally that has high miles (150K or more). I can see where the turbo could have some issues at high miles. It is possible to get an extended warranty through the dealer if you feel a bit scared of a big repair bill.
So that's what I can come up with as far as questions and sort of answers for you for now. I will PM you and get you my # if you have other questions feel free to call.

Jim
The "Kernel" of CORN

Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 PM
MiniShini
1st Gear
FWIW, we did find a 2008 "S" with 25K miles for a really good price. Kinda thinking that if we pick it up, it still has some warranty left, we could get it inspected by a Mini knowledge-able mechanic (dealer or other), and the price is low enough we would have some $$ available for repairs if needed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
The slightly less crazy husband

Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Originally Posted by MiniShini
FWIW, we did find a 2008 "S" with 25K miles for a really good price. Kinda thinking that if we pick it up, it still has some warranty left, we could get it inspected by a Mini knowledge-able mechanic (dealer or other), and the price is low enough we would have some $$ available for repairs if needed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
The slightly less crazy husband
If you take it into the dealer they can tell you what maintenance has been done as well as service performed by MINI. Then like I said above you could get an extended warranty for a price. Just for some insurance.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyamfier
If you take it into the dealer they can tell you what maintenance has been done as well as service performed by MINI. .........
Because the key fob will bring up all the service data at the dealer's computers.

Duplicate thread here.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 02-21-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM
MINIPaige
2nd Gear
S or not

For what it's worth. My wife and I owned 2 2006 regulars at the same time. At the time they were fantastic. We purchased extended warranties for both and after 10k tranny and axle replace, the $1400 warranty apparently paid off. We had to sell them because you cant get 2 car seats in the back.
But, in October I purchased a 2009 S. It's *blanking* awesome. I can't imagine not having an S. I did buy another extended warranty for this one as well. I haven't broken the 115 mph barrier yet, but I wouldn't know I was without looking at the speedo.

Keep in mind though: Owning any MINI is like dating a model. They are moody and expensive, but super fun to ride.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
WildThang
4th Gear
We would both recommend a "S" version.

We have a 1st Generation 2004 S. We've had it around a year and a half now. We've put 50,000 miles on it, and it still feels the way it did the day we got it when it had low mileage. We commute with ours, 100 miles 5 days a week round trip. We have driven the non S version and noticed the power difference.

The 1st Gen S versions tend to ride stiffer than the 2nd Gen S versions. The used S versions we have seen on the market have more options and packages usually than the normal MINI Coopers.

The body differences are slight and take some looking to notice. For us we went with the supercharged 1st Gen S. We like the sound it makes. We appreciate the stiffer ride as we can corner a bit harder and we usually have run flats on.

If you really want to drive it, get a MINI Cooper S. If you just want transportation, get a MINI Cooper.