5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Camping at the Dragon 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Camping at the Dragon 2007

Looks like my wife and I will have to tent camp if we are to go to the dragon this year.

I'll know for sure after this weekend, as we are going to try to bribe the grandparents into watching the kids for that weekend.

How many other MINI people are camping this year? For those who have camped in the past, are the facilities nice, or at least adequate?

Also, my wife is concerned about our 'stuff' while we are out driving, doing various events. What do people usually do with all of their gear when they aren't around the campsite? I certaintly don't want to have to load it into the car multiple times over the weekend!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowMiniS
Looks like my wife and I will have to tent camp if we are to go to the dragon this year.

I'll know for sure after this weekend, as we are going to try to bribe the grandparents into watching the kids for that weekend.

How many other MINI people are camping this year? For those who have camped in the past, are the facilities nice, or at least adequate?

Also, my wife is concerned about our 'stuff' while we are out driving, doing various events. What do people usually do with all of their gear when they aren't around the campsite? I certaintly don't want to have to load it into the car multiple times over the weekend!
I camped last year and will again this year. I am a camper so any facility is pretty good. They are ok showers, pretty good for a campground IMO.

I didn't have that much gear myself, as I was alone last year.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
I am thinking by next year camping will be the best option for a lot of us. Those that don't make reservations upon leaving Fontana at the end of the event. I am hoping that by then there may be some more teardrop campers behind MINI's.
Next year "Tears of the Dragon 08". Speak up if you are a MINI teardrop combo.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
I just may be a tear drop soon... :P

Old 01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I want to camp; details please. I have my own tent.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by J A Blazer
I want to camp; details please. I have my own tent.
Call and reserve a site.. or split with someone... $10 a night I beleive.. Not sure if they have a tent or car per site limit.. ur welcome to share my site.. I may have 2 tents and 2 cars already.. unsure if my friend is coming.

J

Old 01-19-2007, 04:25 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to the bottom of this PAGE for a list of Campgrounds by Fontana

Old 01-20-2007, 08:11 AM
ltlr-n-u
3rd Gear
i know when i called most of the rooms were already full at fontana ive have my campsite reserved since august hehe i cant wait
ive heard the weather around this time is nice for camping

Old 01-20-2007, 10:28 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leif and I will be camping at Fontana. And I'll be reserving my room for next year WELL BEFORE we leave this year

Old 01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
yumyumdriver
2nd Gear
oops double post

Old 01-20-2007, 06:00 PM
yumyumdriver
2nd Gear
I go to the dragon a lot all the year long and everytime I camp out at the Fontana campground it has always been clean, safe and convenent to everything plus you get to use the full resort facilities (pools,etc). Last year my older brother flew out from California to join me for my first MOTD and even though it rained a good deal, we had such a blast he is planning on joining me again this year.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
I just booked a campsite at the Fontana campground. I booked a site with electrical hookup - $5 more per day, but might come in handy.

Right now I may be alone, but we're still hoping to get the grandparent's to watch the kids. If not, I'll see if my brother wants to be a co-driver.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:42 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Looks like I am camping as well. I am still hoping that an inn room might open up but I went ahead and booked a campsite with hook-ups to be on the safe side. I actually don't mind camping as long as it doesn't rain the entire time.

Hopefully my husband will be able to make it this year...otherwise, I am going to look really funny trying to put up our 8 man tent by myself.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vargasgal
Looks like I am camping as well. I am still hoping that an inn room might open up but I went ahead and booked a campsite with hook-ups to be on the safe side. I actually don't mind camping as long as it doesn't rain the entire time.

Hopefully my husband will be able to make it this year...otherwise, I am going to look really funny trying to put up our 8 man tent by myself.
Well if I am around, I will for sure help ya out.. I think I am arriving Thurs about 4ish... depending how many times our group stops.. last year was about that time...

Campers in general will help ya... and MINI campers will definately help ya out...

Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM
yumyumdriver
2nd Gear
For all of you that are camping, I reserved a spot with elec/water and a shelter area. (1 of the 3 spots with a shelter at Fontana) Everyone is more than welcome to come by if it is raining out. It would also be a great place for everyone to hang in the evenings when the events are winding down.

I'm also more than happy to help anyone throw up a tent if they need a hand as well.

Just look for my Red/White MINI and Red Tent,
Ocean, the Yum Yum Driver

Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
200-OK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yumyumdriver
For all of you that are camping, I reserved a spot with elec/water and a shelter area. (1 of the 3 spots with a shelter at Fontana) Everyone is more than welcome to come by if it is raining out. It would also be a great place for everyone to hang in the evenings when the events are winding down.

I'm also more than happy to help anyone throw up a tent if they need a hand as well.

Cool. My brother and I are coming down from WI and also camping at Fontana. We don't have a hookup facility, so maybe we will take you up on the offer if it rains!

Maybe an after party, Party????

Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I might be planing to stay at a walmart parking lot and sleeping in my MINI. There are walmarts there right? I mean they are everywhere.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Zyamfier
They are everywhere but where you want one.

From the wally world store locator #9 would be the closest but still further than I would want to drive.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 200-OK
Cool. My brother and I are coming down from WI and also camping at Fontana. We don't have a hookup facility, so maybe we will take you up on the offer if it rains!

Maybe an after party, Party????

CAMPGROUND PARTY... I am in.

Originally Posted by nabeshin
I might be planing to stay at a walmart parking lot and sleeping in my MINI. There are walmarts there right? I mean they are everywhere.
Just pick a site and crash on it... well ask the owner first.. but I know I would let ya.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by yumyumdriver

woooooo-wooooooo!

Vargas - Leif and I won't be getting in until later Thursday evening, but if you still need additional wo/manpower, we'll give you a hand

I didn't know that they had fancy schmancy campsites with water and electric and stuff...

Old 01-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
well I know they have power and water, but not sure about shelter.. I do not recall anything.. but I could be mistaken...

Old 01-25-2007, 10:38 PM
cooper99
Banned
I camped out last year at MOTD right in front of Fontana dam. It's free. Very peaceful. I like it. As far as security goes, I just have to cross my fingers and trust you all. It's a good way to save $150 bucks. Beware tents do not block noise; so whatever you do in your tent can be heard from far away and might disturb others...

Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper99
so whatever you do in your tent can be heard from far away and might disturb others...

Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 AM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
Has anyone taken an RV into any of the nearby campgrounds? I have a 28' racing trailer that has living quarters in the front, and was wondering if you can get a trailer of that size into the campgrounds. I called FonVil and they said yes, but I trust the people that have been there, over them.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Zyamfier
Originally Posted by thatatvguy
Has anyone taken an RV into any of the nearby campgrounds? I have a 28' racing trailer that has living quarters in the front, and was wondering if you can get a trailer of that size into the campgrounds. I called FonVil and they said yes, but I trust the people that have been there, over them.
I don't think there will be a problem getting into the campground. However, pulling the rig up the dragon or 129 in any stretch may be a problem. If you stick to 28 to get there from the east you should be ok.

Quick Reply: Camping at the Dragon 2007