1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:59 PM
dsw13
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchiMark
Lucky you!

Hope you see your MINI next weekend!

Meanwhile, my ship seems to have gone back into the Bermuda Triangle since leaving the Panama Canal 4 days ago....

No updates since then on the marine traffic website. Only info shown is ETA for a Mexico port stop tomorrow, 6/25.

Hope that it shows up then and that the ship's location starts getting tracked again.
Thanks. Ship arrived yesterday afternoon and latest update is the the car is on a truck and scheduled to arrive on 6/29. Now we'll see if my dealer was accurate that they conservatively estimate five days but it really only takes two.

Fingers crossed that yours shows up again soon. I think I always figured that even though my car was behind yours, I'd still get it sooner because of the different coasts.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:29 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Don't despair, it will show up. I don't know but for some unknown reason, ships lose contact with the tracker. The tracker works best when when ships are close to shore, if they veer out into the shipping lanes there is no information to report. Happens when ships hit the Atlantic, they show the last known location (usually off the coast of Ireland), and then suddenly appearing off the US coast..

Betting your ship is out in the lanes and will appear when it gets close to your POE. Shouldn't be long now.
Glad to hear you don't think my ship got lost in Bermuda Triangle....

You're right my ship did lose contact at one point while crossing the Atlantic...

Bringing my car into Mini tomorrow for the wheel swap. Could not find a local place to do it. They want you to buy tires or wheels before they do anything.
Hmmmm....hadn't realized this might be an issue....but I guess the shops have enough business already....

As a side note, never thought I'd like the HUD.....love it. Get to see my digital speed shown as digits on the HUD and set my dash info to show speed limit signs.
That's good to know....can't remember if mine is coming with HUD....is that part of the Iconic package?.....guess I can check.....

Loving the new car smell too.
Don't get too high off it and all the plastic off-gassing....

Picked up a pair of these mats off Amazon.. The gray in the mats picks up nicely the gray interior. The stock black mats showed every pebble, or debris I picked up. New mats show nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/GoBadges-IP12...ateway&sr=8-11

Little by little making the car mine...................................
Clever idea of masking the dirt and debris.....and pretty lively looking too.....

Glad you're having fun with the car!

Last edited by ArchiMark; 06-24-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Left out word 'high' in one sentence.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:13 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

That's good to know....can't remember if mine is coming with HUD....is that part of the Iconic package?.....guess I can check.....
It is

Don't get too off it and all the plastic off-gassing....

Glad you're having fun with the car!
Yeah Baby! Shagalicious

Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dsw13
Thanks. Ship arrived yesterday afternoon and latest update is the the car is on a truck and scheduled to arrive on 6/29. Now we'll see if my dealer was accurate that they conservatively estimate five days but it really only takes two.

Fingers crossed that yours shows up again soon. I think I always figured that even though my car was behind yours, I'd still get it sooner because of the different coasts.
Excellent!

And thanks.....makes sense that you'd see yours first, given where you are.....

Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Yeah Baby! Shagalicious

Uh oh......think it's too late now.....

Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Actually the Mini genuinely has a new car smell, and the leather actually kinda smells like real leather. My 2015 C7 smelled like "Liquid Nails". Absolutely noxious by comparison.. I suppose as the new car smell fades, I could sprinkle some "English Leather" around the cabin.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Ship came back into view again.....at port north of Acapulco....

It may have left already, last data received was almost 14 hours ago....

Assume they stopped there to get margaritas or mojitos.....

At least it's getting close to Port Hueneme.....only 4 more days.....if all goes well....

Old 06-25-2019, 06:48 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Actually the Mini genuinely has a new car smell, and the leather actually kinda smells like real leather. My 2015 C7 smelled like "Liquid Nails". Absolutely noxious by comparison.. I suppose as the new car smell fades, I could sprinkle some "English Leather" around the cabin.
There's some company that sells a 'new car' smell spray....you can pick up a can and keep in the car....

Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Just got word from my dealer that my Countryman is on a boat and due to dock in Galveston, TX around the 5th of July.
I didn't even realize we had a MINI port of entry here. I thought the closest was in North Carolina.

Last edited by d2mini; 06-25-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 AM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
You guys are lucky. Getting information from my dealership is like pulling teeth from a hungry tiger. I ordered mine on April 23rd, but was told that they had no allocations to order until the next month, May. So, they said they placed the order on May 1. I was told at the beginning of June that it was "on the boat." Now, they tell me it is not going to arrive until July 26. That is almost 3 months. It has been quite frustrating to say the least. People will be buying new 2020 Clubmans from the lot before I receive my "new 2019." It is my understanding that I will have a survey to fill out after I receive my new car...

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sbreech
You guys are lucky. Getting information from my dealership is like pulling teeth from a hungry tiger. I ordered mine on April 23rd, but was told that they had no allocations to order until the next month, May. So, they said they placed the order on May 1. I was told at the beginning of June that it was "on the boat." Now, they tell me it is not going to arrive until July 26. That is almost 3 months. It has been quite frustrating to say the least. People will be buying new 2020 Clubmans from the lot before I receive my "new 2019." It is my understanding that I will have a survey to fill out after I receive my new car...
Yes, the survey you refer to is very important to the dealership. It is money in their pocket if they get 10's across the board. Getting one 9 is a fail.

I understand your frustration..but realize, April was a shut down at the factory. So no cars were being produced. A number of those cars that were on order prior to April, were on a deadline to arrive at dealerships prior to June 30 (as there was a Mini incentive totally $2K to each person who had a car on order before March 31). You car was on order 1 May, but was put at the back of the production to allow all those incentivized cars ti make delivery.

Unfortunate, for sure, but likely more a factory issue that a dealer issue. If the dealership was providing false hope based just to keep you quiet, then for sure I'd give them some low marks. If on the other hand, they gave you a great deal on your car, I'd be likely to give them a pass but let them know that accurate information is more important that false hope. I didn't ask if you contacted the MA at Mini USA to track your car or not. If you did and received the same info, then the dealership is completely off the hook on this one and should not be penalized with a low score IMO.

In may case, I tracked my car thought the MA at Mini corporate. What info I received from them was usually followed up a day or so later by my dealership (echoing what I already knew) through an email to me. I don't know if that was due to the fact that when I made the deal, I told them if they gave me the price I wanted to pay and treated me good, I'd give then 10's on their evaluation (as I mentioned this can amount to a thou$and or more in hold back to the dealership) or not.

Your three month wait is at the extreme end or the norm, but again, the period when you ordered your car was during a plant shut down and a rush to get a group of cars completed and to the dealerships by Jun 30. Normal is 8 weeks (two months) if everything goes right.

Your car will arrive as a custom order exactly as you wanted. There isn't going to be a major difference between the 2019 and 202 models and your car will have a full warranty for the 4 year period.. We debated on holding off for a 2020, but since there was no big change (like more HP or better this or that), we opted for the bigger incentive off the 2019. If you waited for the 2020, there isn't likely to be much of any factory money off for at least a few months after production.

Hope I added a bit of perspective to your situation. Just know that when your car arrives, it will likely put a huge smile on your face......

Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Also, if it makes you feel any better my dealership has done nothing to keep me informed, although they are pleasant enough the couple of times I reached out with a question. Everything I learned in tracking the car was from calling MINI customer service directly. Unlike USA-RET, my dealership never sent updates via email. I ordered my car on April 11 and will likely take delivery this weekend, so not that different from you. However, I had done some research and knew about the factory shutdown so figured mine would lean towards the longer end of the 8-12 week estimate they tell you about. Dealer had no clue what I was talking about when I mentioned the shut down.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
I ordered mine in the first week of December and it didn't arrive until the last week of February. 12 weeks for me and I am on the east coast. The car sat at port for 2 weeks before being loaded on a ship. They once arrived, it took almost a week to get to the dealer.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:18 PM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info and encouragement folks!

Old 06-27-2019, 07:37 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Final update. Car arrived at the dealer late yesterday and I'll be picking her up this evening!

The following users liked this post:
sbreech (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:03 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dsw13
Final update. Car arrived at the dealer late yesterday and I'll be picking her up this evening!
Congrats..post a pix when you have a chance. We all love "Car ****".

The following 2 users liked this post by USA-RET:
dsw13 (06-27-2019), sbreech (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:43 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Congrats..post a pix when you have a chance. We all love "Car ****".
+1 !

Waiting on pics now.....

Meanwhile, my lil' baby, just passed by Los Cabos....fortunately, ship didn't stop there for margaritas or nachos....so, still chugging along....

Still schedule to make it to Port Hueneme on Saturday.....

More popcorn please.....

The following 2 users liked this post by ArchiMark:
dsw13 (06-27-2019), sbreech (06-27-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:28 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Introducing Winnie (not the most original name but I like it). Thanks for the advice and feedback throughout the forum and in this thread in particular (and thank you ArchieMark for letting me join in your thread). Made the waiting more tolerable.

The following 4 users liked this post by dsw13:
2017All4 (07-02-2019), ArchiMark (06-28-2019), Raven99 (06-30-2019), sbreech (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:38 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Very nice! I dig the color choices.

dsw13 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:57 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
+1 !

Looks great!

Think we both have the same blue color......I find it to be a very 'friendly looking' color when I see it.

The brown leather looks great....was tempted by it too....

Have fun with Winnie!

Glad you and others came along for the ride....

Yes, it has made the waiting much more tolerable.....

As for my car, ship is now about 1/2 up along the coast of Baja....according to current schedule should be at port north of LA, tomorrow, Saturday afternoon. Yeah!

dsw13 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:50 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Beautiful car, love that brown leather interior. The cross-stitch is really nice. Color combo really goes nicely together. Have fun and be safe, Always nice to share a thread with great people

The following 2 users liked this post by USA-RET:
dsw13 (06-28-2019), sbreech (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59 AM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Wowzer, that blue and brown is amazing!

dsw13 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:05 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Thanks everyone. I don't think pictures do either of the colors justice. Was debating between one of the silvers and the blue and happened to see this same color combination (blue with the black mirrors/roof) in the wild and was immediately sold. Didn't even consider the brown from viewing on the configurator but once I sat in a convertible in the showroom with the brown sports seats I couldn't imagine getting the car without them. Ditched the navigation in favor of the signature line interior. Very happy with that choice.

Last edited by dsw13; 06-28-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:41 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
The Eagle has landed....well, at Port Hueneme,.....on Saturday, as projected......

Now for the last leg of the journey......get through the VPC (hopefully, in one piece....), and then onto a truck for the ride up north to Silicon Valley.....

Thinking, maybe I'll see my blue S, around 7/11 - 7/15, by the time, my dealer gets it and goes over it....

dsw13 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:36 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
The Eagle has landed....well, at Port Hueneme,.....on Saturday, as projected......

Now for the last leg of the journey......get through the VPC (hopefully, in one piece....), and then onto a truck for the ride up north to Silicon Valley.....

Thinking, maybe I'll see my blue S, around 7/11 - 7/15, by the time, my dealer gets it and goes over it....

Be sure to keep an eagle eye out for any additional July offers, as you are looking at July delivery. A deal popped up on Countryman/Clubman for a few days at the end of June, for example.

Even if you don't see anything on the Dealer's web site or MINIUSA, ask whomever is doing your paperwork at the dealership, "Are there any additional offers that we can use to sweeten this deal today?" It happens, but sometimes you gotta ask.

And, should anyone tell you otherwise, you will be taking delivery from dealer stock, even though it's an ordered car. The dealer takes possession and then sells it to you, so any special offers that have the "must be from dealer stock" caveat apply to your deal.

Quick Reply: Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?