1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:21 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion and glad to hear your baby is getting closer!

Called back and was told ship name is Altair....

Searched and found a long list of ships with Altair in the name.....but I think it might be this one:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...LTAIR%20LEADER

Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchiMark
OK, some good news!

Called MINI again....was told my car left port on 6/3......and ship name is 'Alpair'......

Was told it should arrive at port in California on 6/27...
Looks like we're no longer on the same boat Mine's still sitting at the port (or at least it is according to what's been inputted into the system). I think I was running about four days behind you, so hoping I'm underway by the end of the week (even if the update doesn't come through until Monday). Since I'm on the east coast, that should still keep me within my June 30 goal. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by dsw13; 06-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion and glad to hear your baby is getting closer!

Called back and was told ship name is Altair....

Searched and found a long list of ships with Altair in the name.....but I think it might be this one:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...LTAIR%20LEADER

Yep, that looks like the one "Altair Leader".....Shows leaving England heading East...

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-432817000

Newark bound!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dsw13
Looks like we're no longer on the same boat Mine's still sitting at the port (or at least it is according to what's been inputted into the system). I think I was running about four days behind you, so hoping I'm underway by the end of the week (even the update doesn't come through until Monday). Since I'm on the east coast, that should still keep me within my June 30 goal. Fingers crossed.
Dang....that's too bad....thought our cars would have a chance to get acquainted....hope you get onboard soon!

Originally Posted by USA-RET
Yep, that looks like the one "Altair Leader".....Shows leaving England heading East...

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-432817000

Newark bound!
Ummmm....wouldn't Newark be heading West?.......

The following users liked this post:
dsw13 (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Dang....that's too bad....thought our cars would have a chance to get acquainted....hope you get onboard soon!

Ummmm....wouldn't Newark be heading West?.......
You are correct..I'm directionally challenged. Duh!

Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
You are correct..I'm directionally challenged. Duh!
No worries....but you had me worried there for a minute that my car would be on a very long journey.....

Old 06-05-2019, 10:35 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
No worries....but you had me worried there for a minute that my car would be on a very long journey.....
Unlike Columbus, thankfully, the shippers take a more direct route......................

Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Unlike Columbus, thankfully, the shippers take a more direct route......................

Amen....

Old 06-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts

can you recognize any of the cars are on the top two decks of this UK holding area?

Took this from the deck of Queen Mary 2 in Southampton a lil while back . . .

cars can be in the queue to be shipped for a wee bit of time ......

Old 06-05-2019, 03:56 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Think I see my car!.....the blue with white top....

Old 06-05-2019, 07:13 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
This is now the hardest part. You wait for the journey across the pond and canal, then after it gets to port, you have to wait again. Could be a few days to over a week to clear.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:19 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Well, some more progress, my ship should be docking in New Jersey Wednesday morning, just a little bit off the coast right now.......

Still quite a ways to go before it gets to California though.......

Too bad they can't take it off the ship there and put it on a truck and drive cross country.....would be a lot faster.....

Oh well.....

Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
As of this morning the system is still showing me in the port, where the car has been since May 28. I guess there's a slim chance that I'm on a ship and for whatever reason the system never updated, but I'm not counting on it. At this point I've resigned myself to the fact that despite my planning, I won't have the car before the end of June.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Agreed. My car was to arrive at dealership yesterday w/ our pick up on Friday..It did not. Dealership contacted me and said car was assigned a truck, but no ETA. They mentioned the truck may have been delayed arriving at the VPC or system was not updated. Rescheduled for next week pick up as dealership needs a minimum of 1 day to inspect and prep a car for delivery. The only thing I want to check immediately is the install of the JCW tune. Exhaust is easy to verify, but the engine tune has to be checked through center stack; Mini Excitement.

Oh well, it's out of my hands now....BTW, I think the White Mini on that ship was mine.

Update (not that anyone really cares) Mini dealership just email me minutes ago....Our car is on a truck that left Brunswick GA heading to our Florida dealership. 2-3 day journey so car will be ready for pick-up Saturday or Monday. Going to schedule an appointment w/ our local tire place next week to have the tries/wheels swapped out next week. Will later schedule a window tint and maybe a graphic stripe or something if something catches our eye.

Last edited by USA-RET; 06-12-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
As of this morning the system is still showing me in the port, where the car has been since May 28. I guess there's a slim chance that I'm on a ship and for whatever reason the system never updated, but I'm not counting on it. At this point I've resigned myself to the fact that despite my planning, I won't have the car before the end of June.
System is not always up to date....While system said still said my car was at port, it turned out it has been put on ship 2 days earlier. Your best bet for current info is to call the MINI customer service number and speak to a live person and have them check system for current status.

Agreed. My car was to arrive at dealership yesterday w/ our pick up on Friday..It did not. Dealership contacted me and said car was assigned a truck, but no ETA. They mentioned the truck may have been delayed arriving at the VPC or system was not updated. Rescheduled for next week pick up as dealership needs a minimum of 1 day to inspect and prep a car for delivery. The only thing I want to check immediately is the install of the JCW tune. Exhaust is easy to verify, but the engine tune has to be checked through center stack; Mini Excitement.
Too bad about the delay...hopefully, you can make it another week.....

Meanwhile, I turned over 218K miles this morning on my trusty ol' 2004 Acura RSX.....hopefully, it will keep going until my new car arrives....

Oh well, it's out of my hands now....BTW, I think the White Mini on that ship was mine.
I knew it was yours!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
System is not always up to date....While system said still said my car was at port, it turned out it has been put on ship 2 days earlier. Your best bet for current info is to call the MINI customer service number and speak to a live person and have them check system for current status.
I call MINI customer service every morning

Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
I call MINI customer service every morning
Maybe you're calling too much.....

Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Great thread.

MINI psychological warfare tactics seem to be working, keeping customers with 'MINIs on the boat' in a state of constant disequilibrium.

When your cars finally are at the dealer, prepped, and ready for delivery, you will magically forget everything you have learned about negotiating and, with understandable eagerness to wrap your hands around those wonderful MINI steering wheels, you will forget to slow the process down to ensure the best possible deal holds together. But then, once you smell that ether, who cares??

It's been fun re-living the waiting and tracking fun. Please continue your updates.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts

Update (not that anyone really cares)
Oh, we care. Especially in your situation with the wonderful added drama of the expiring incentives. Racin' against the clock. Love it.

Now watch, on July 1st there will be great new incentives.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Maybe you're calling too much.....

Not sure what I said to warrant an eye roll, but just pointing out that I have been calling the 800 number and speaking to someone and not relying on the recording or my sales rep.

Originally Posted by 2017All4
Here's hoping.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Not sure what I said to warrant an eye roll, but just pointing out that I have been calling the 800 number and speaking to someone and not relying on the recording or my sales rep.
Was just reacting to your calling every day........seemed like a lot when I read it......frequency-wise......

My apologies if you took offense, was just joking with you....

Best,

Mark

Old 06-12-2019, 11:37 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
No worries. It is a lot, but I'm getting anxious. This is supposed to be a safe space to admit as much

Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
No worries. It is a lot, but I'm getting anxious. This is supposed to be a safe space to admit as much
Next time you call MINI, press 6150....that will get you a certified MINI counselor on the line to take care of you.....

The following users liked this post:
dsw13 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Oh, we care. Especially in your situation with the wonderful added drama of the expiring incentives. Racin' against the clock. Love it.

Yeah, watch them offer $2500 off on 2019's ......................LOL

I fully expect to see some pretty nice incentives on dealer stock. Thinking they will be shutting down the 2019 orders as Jul 1 starts the new cycle.

So just ruminating here...suppose a person orders a car w/ say a $1000 incentive and then Mini comes out w/ a $2500 off all remaining dealer inventory. Could a person refuse delivery in which case the car goes into dealer inventory and then becomes eligible for the $2500 incentive. Naturally the dealer would have to go along with this maneuver, but in the end they (dealer) would still make the same profit while the buyer would have less out-of-pocket expense.

These are the things us retired people mull around in our noggins.to kill a day.....................LOL

Old 06-12-2019, 04:07 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
More progress.....

Altair Leader already made it to NY port and left there and is now heading towards Jacksonville, FL......so, will be in USA-RET's neighborhood soon

ETA 6/14....

Last edited by ArchiMark; 06-12-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: clarify...

Quick Reply: Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?