1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Excellent choice! I too went w/ the Iconic trim level. If you want a lot of nice options, you can save $ going that route.

Mine is scheduled for completion on May 13. I'll call the MA on the 15th and see if car made it to the shipping port (short rail ride). Generally it takes a couple of days to go from the factory to the port. Normally a 8 day voyage to my VPC receiving port (Charleston SC (Mini) Brunswick GA (BMW)). Another 7 days or so to SW Florida by transport.

Yours has to go though the "Canal", so maybe 10 days to 2 weeks added to my schedule......

Old 05-04-2019, 10:43 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks!

Lucky you! yours is right around the corner.....

Yes, mine will go through the Canal....so, adds like you say.....

Old 05-04-2019, 01:02 PM
JasonMa
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchiMark
Thanks!

Lucky you! yours is right around the corner.....

Yes, mine will go through the Canal....so, adds like you say.....

See if your MA can get the name of the ship its on once it gets to the port in the UK. Then you can follow the ship through MarineTraffic.com (or any number of tracking websites) and use the Canal camera to see the ship going through.

The following 2 users liked this post by JasonMa:
ArchiMark (05-04-2019), dsw13 (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:36 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JasonMa
See if your MA can get the name of the ship its on once it gets to the port in the UK. Then you can follow the ship through MarineTraffic.com (or any number of tracking websites) and use the Canal camera to see the ship going through.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Would be fun to watch ship....

Old 05-05-2019, 01:11 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
The online tracker doesn't work well and is sometimes days late with updates. Your best bet is to call MINI customer service once you get the production number of VIN from your dealer. They can give you the status and even the ship name it's on. I was told JCWs tend to take longer because they are built in batches. The other models are faster.

The following 2 users liked this post by N0B0DY:
ArchiMark (05-05-2019), dsw13 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 03:14 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
The online tracker doesn't work well and is sometimes days late with updates. Your best bet is to call MINI customer service once you get the production number of VIN from your dealer. They can give you the status and even the ship name it's on. I was told JCWs tend to take longer because they are built in batches. The other models are faster.
Thanks for your suggestions.....

I have the production number of car....

Tried to register as owner online yesterday, it asked for production number. Got message that I'm trying to register a bit too soon....it suggested I try again in a few days.....

Old 05-05-2019, 03:16 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Meanwhile.....while I wait for my car....question please....

Been reading various forum posts about various mods to these cars.....lowering, sway bars, air intakes, etc....

Do these mods invalidate warranty?

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:45 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Thanks for your suggestions.....

I have the production number of car....

Tried to register as owner online yesterday, it asked for production number. Got message that I'm trying to register a bit too soon....it suggested I try again in a few days.....
That registration deal is crazy. I have my 2015 listed (although now traded in), tried to list (add) the new car as I have the Prod number and a VIIN.. They ask for how many miles, when I took delivery, etc., Just nuts.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:47 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
ArchiMark is getting ready to motor. Welcome to the club.
Perhaps the incentives will improve by the time delivery finally happens -- remember, if the incentives improve, you get them. But usually you have to ask.
Congratulations. Well done!!

Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
The owner registration is broke and has been for a while, at least when trying to register with an ordered car. It was broken when I ordered my car in Dec. 2018.

Take a read of the following links for warranty coverage with aftermarket parts and mods.:

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/

https://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
That registration deal is crazy. I have my 2015 listed (although now traded in), tried to list (add) the new car as I have the Prod number and a VIIN.. They ask for how many miles, when I took delivery, etc., Just nuts.
Hmmmmm................

Originally Posted by 2017All4
ArchiMark is getting ready to motor. Welcome to the club.
Perhaps the incentives will improve by the time delivery finally happens -- remember, if the incentives improve, you get them. But usually you have to ask.
Congratulations. Well done!!
Thank you for the welcome, tip about incentives, and congrats....

Wish I didn't have to wait so long.......

Originally Posted by N0B0DY
The owner registration is broke and has been for a while, at least when trying to register with an ordered car. It was broken when I ordered my car in Dec. 2018.

Take a read of the following links for warranty coverage with aftermarket parts and mods.:

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/

https://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Thank you for the links!

Old 05-10-2019, 08:35 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Well, some progress.....

Tried registering as owner now and this time it worked!

However, I don't see where you can track status of order.

I only see 3 main headings:

My MINI

Manage Account

Update Profile

Looking in each section, I don't see anything about order tracking.

Where do you go for this?

Thanks!

Mark

Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Well.....even more progress....

Just got email from my MA that my car is now 'In Production'......

Any input on how I can track my order online per my prior message above?
Still don't see where you can track it...

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
No clue either. My car was listed as "150 scheduled for production on 29 Mar 2019. I plan to call Mini on Monday (May 13) which is when my car was scheduled to be completed based on discussion with MA around 1-2 May 2019). I will ask about being able to watch production as the codes changes as your car makes it down the assembly line. If I were to wager, the lag time for the website being updated vs. where your car is actually during the build process.....the car would likely be completed before the code would change from 150-151 "body shop". Takes about 7 days to build a car from start to finish. I would call again in another 7-10 days and your car should be completed (or close to it).

List of codes used by Mini:
  • 37 Order is at MINIUSA (On Order)
  • 87 Production Week Assigned
  • 97 Order Sent to Factory
  • 111 Order Accepted at Factory
  • 112 Order Scheduled for Production
  • 150 Production Started (aka – Scheduled for Production)
  • 151 Body Shop
  • 152 Paint Shop
  • 153 Assembly
  • 155 Production Completed
  • 160 Released to Distribution
  • 182 Released to Carrier (aka Awaiting Transportation)
  • 190 Awaiting Transport
  • 193 Arrived at Port of Exit (Received at Terminal)
  • 194 Selected for Shipment (Loaded on Vessel)
  • 195 Shipped from Port of Exit (En Route)
  • 196 Shipment Arrival (Discharged)
Hoping to see a code 155 or better yet 160 for mine when I call.

If past is any indication of the future a couple of days to get to the port and loaded on a ship.. then you can track the vessel via a mapping program. It's really pretty neat and you'll be amazed at how full the shipping lanes are. Watching you boat chugging along at 18 or so knots. About 8 days to hit the US Main land and the first drop off port. Depends on how the ship is manifested and loaded as to which ports it will hit along its journey.

The following users liked this post:
ArchiMark (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:50 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
No clue either. My car was listed as "150 scheduled for production on 29 Mar 2019. I plan to call Mini on Monday (May 13) which is when my car was scheduled to be completed based on discussion with MA around 1-2 May 2019). I will ask about being able to watch production as the codes changes as your car makes it down the assembly line. If I were to wager, the lag time for the website being updated vs. where your car is actually during the build process.....the car would likely be completed before the code would change from 150-151 "body shop". Takes about 7 days to build a car from start to finish. I would call again in another 7-10 days and your car should be completed (or close to it).

List of codes used by Mini:
  • 37 Order is at MINIUSA (On Order)
  • 87 Production Week Assigned
  • 97 Order Sent to Factory
  • 111 Order Accepted at Factory
  • 112 Order Scheduled for Production
  • 150 Production Started (aka – Scheduled for Production)
  • 151 Body Shop
  • 152 Paint Shop
  • 153 Assembly
  • 155 Production Completed
  • 160 Released to Distribution
  • 182 Released to Carrier (aka Awaiting Transportation)
  • 190 Awaiting Transport
  • 193 Arrived at Port of Exit (Received at Terminal)
  • 194 Selected for Shipment (Loaded on Vessel)
  • 195 Shipped from Port of Exit (En Route)
  • 196 Shipment Arrival (Discharged)
Hoping to see a code 155 or better yet 160 for mine when I call.

If past is any indication of the future a couple of days to get to the port and loaded on a ship.. then you can track the vessel via a mapping program. It's really pretty neat and you'll be amazed at how full the shipping lanes are. Watching you boat chugging along at 18 or so knots. About 8 days to hit the US Main land and the first drop off port. Depends on how the ship is manifested and loaded as to which ports it will hit along its journey.
Thanks as always, for your helpful and informative replies.....

I don't understand how/where you are seeing your car status info online. Please clarify.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:15 AM
roadredmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48
My bad, didn't know that. Where does the S's 55 extra HP come from (134 vs 189)?
mini cooper has 1.5 engine and coopers s has 2 litre

Old 05-11-2019, 07:26 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Thanks as always, for your helpful and informative replies.....

I don't understand how/where you are seeing your car status info online. Please clarify.
I'm actually not seeing it on line. I got my 150 build status code from my dealer when he contacted Mini a a couple of days after I ordered it. They (dealer) was able to call another dealership and get a production slot from them (thus sliding my car into the production sequence) rather than waiting to receive a allocation and start at the very beginning.

I do not see a place anywhere on the website that allows you to see vehicle production status. There is some indication that we are supposed to have access to a tracking module (from the MINI USA FAQ page)::

HOW CAN I TRACK A MINI THAT I'VE ORDERED?

If you've received a VIN or Production Number from your MINI Dealer, you can track the progress of your MINI in the MINI Owners' Lounge. When you first visit the Owners' Lounge, you must create a new account for yourself with your VIN or production number. Once you've set up your account you will have full access to the MINI Production Tracking module.

I do not believe this is working @ present. The MA that I talked to last said the website was down and not working and being updated..... He said call any time and I can get production status of call my dealer and they can get it also. When I ordered my 2015 (and since I've slept since then), I can't recall if I could see the production status of that car when it was being built or not. I thought I could but cannot state that unequivocally. Seems like I did since I have recollections of going on line and seeing that car was completed and awaiting transport to the shipping port, At the port, on board ship. Then at the VPC and then released to shipper (on its way to my dealership). I know I didn't call the MA that many times

You can rest assured that if you have a VIN, your car will be built in short order and then into the transport network. Apparently, we only have the telephone to find out where our cars are in the production/shipping sequence.

If you happen to call before I do, ask about the website and the production tracking that is supposed to be available. I will when I call on Monday.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:42 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Thank you for clarifying,

Had a feeling this was the case.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on the website.....

Will report here if I get info before you do...

Old 05-13-2019, 11:32 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Called today (Mon 13 May), my car is in Paint shop (since 10 May) and should be completed tomorrow.

I asked about being able to track production online. Was told they (Mini) are still in the process of updating that feature on their website. They want it to mimic the BMW tracking.

I was able to track my 2015 MCS and my 2017 M240i throughout production. Mini has been dragging their feet on that feature. As I mentioned previously, what is reported on their website (when it was working) is usually a step or to behind your car's actual status since updates to that website are every couple of days. You're probably better off calling the MA for a more current status.

I plan to call again by week's end and see if my car is at the port for vessel loading.

If you haven't seen the vessels and their loading this video may be of some interest.

ArchiMark (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Thanks for the update and video....

At least we now know we're not missing something on the MINI site regarding tracking.

The ship video is very cool....what a monster....

Hopefully, my car is not too far behind yours now....

Old 05-22-2019, 01:23 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Mine is on a "sea cruise" now. heading to Halifax as the first stop. Should make Brunswick in 15 days (from May 19th -ETA 3 June or thereabouts).

ArchiMark (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:47 PM
dsw13
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine is on a "sea cruise" now. heading to Halifax as the first stop. Should make Brunswick in 15 days (from May 19th -ETA 3 June or thereabouts).
Did you say awhile back that it was 8 days to the U.S. and then another seven or so from Brunswick to your dealer in Florida? Is the heading to Halifax an additional leg of the voyage you were not counting on and that's why it's 15 days to Brunswick? My current status is scheduled to be completed on May 24. Hoping to have it in Florida by June 30. Based on when yours was completed, I think I should be fine even with an extra leg to the trip, but until my baby is on a a ship I won't rest easy.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:55 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Congrats!

Meanwhile, your post prompted me to check status with my MA.....

She said now in 'Late Production'.......

Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dsw13
Did you say awhile back that it was 8 days to the U.S. and then another seven or so from Brunswick to your dealer in Florida? Is the heading to Halifax an additional leg of the voyage you were not counting on and that's why it's 15 days to Brunswick? My current status is scheduled to be completed on May 24. Hoping to have it in Florida by June 30. Based on when yours was completed, I think I should be fine even with an extra leg to the trip, but until my baby is on a a ship I won't rest easy.
Yes, much depends on how the ship is manifested. I've ordered two other cars from Europe. First Mini was on a ship that stopped in Savannah and then Brunswick. Car was onboard something like 10 days before hitting VPC. The BMW I ordered stopped in England where the ship conveniently broke down. Car had to be transferred to another ship and added two weeks to the journey. This time Halifax is a stop. Maybe more stops in Boston and Savannah, don't know. The stops are short normally no more than 24 hours. The Stevedores can get cars and machinery off in short order. MA said about 15 days as did my dealership (who has been good sending emails each time the car clears a hurdle.

At least there are no hurricanes forming........................................... ................yet.

dsw13 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:42 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, much depends on how the ship is manifested. I've ordered two other cars from Europe. First Mini was on a ship that stopped in Savannah and then Brunswick. Car was onboard something like 10 days before hitting VPC. The BMW I ordered stopped in England where the ship conveniently broke down. Car had to be transferred to another ship and added two weeks to the journey. This time Halifax is a stop. Maybe more stops in Boston and Savannah, don't know. The stops are short normally no more than 24 hours. The Stevedores can get cars and machinery off in short order. MA said about 15 days as did my dealership (who has been good sending emails each time the car clears a hurdle.

At least there are no hurricanes forming........................................... ................yet.
Thanks for the specifics. Knowing that yours was slowed down for an atypical event definitely gives me a little more peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?