1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:31 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Have to work on it. We must all wait until The Committee moves in the mysterious ways its wonders to behold.
Grasshoppa understand sensei.....

So, standing by decision unfolds....

In the mean time, at lunch today. Note the fine hand wash job...
Nice!.....

Glad you wash....

As grasshoppa was afraid I have to wash and detail the sensei's car to get him to put in good word to Committee.....

Old 07-16-2019, 02:36 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Step away from your computer, ArchiMark-san, and go motor. Master the shift paddles, then we can talk badges.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:38 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ArchiMark

As grasshoppa was afraid I have to wash and detail the sensei's car to get him to put in good word to Committee.....
Wax on...wax off

Old 07-16-2019, 02:42 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Step away from your computer, ArchiMark-san, and go motor. Master the shift paddles, then we can talk badges.
Got it, sensei.....

ArchiMark-san go paddle now......

bye bye....

Wax on...wax off
Yes, master....

Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Old 07-16-2019, 03:08 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear

Old 07-16-2019, 03:16 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
You sure you want me to be in charge of badge development???

Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
You sure you want me to be in charge of badge development???
Ummm......does ArchiMark-san have choice?

What would master confucius say?

Grease monkey who go to bed without bathing wake up oily in the morning....

Man who run behind car get exhausted....

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Ummm......does ArchiMark-san have choice?

What would master confucius say?

Grease monkey who go to bed without bathing wake up oily in the morning....

Man who run behind car get exhausted....
You have many choices in this life.... choose wisely; choose MINI

However, according to P. G. Wodehouse, "it is the opinion of most thoughtful students of life that happiness in this world depends chiefly on the ability to take things as they come."

Tell ya what. You do the badges, I'll do the aphorisms. After all, if Lucas made weapons, wars would not start.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=2017All4;4482935]You have many choices in this life.... choose wisely; choose MINI [ /QUOTE]

So true....and good idea too....

However, according to P. G. Wodehouse, "it is the opinion of most thoughtful students of life that happiness in this world depends chiefly on the ability to take things as they come."
So true too....and what would 'ol' Bertie Wooster say about that?

Tell ya what. You do the badges, I'll do the aphorisms. After all, if Lucas made weapons, wars would not start.
OK, sounds like a plan.......

Yes, Lucas, Prince of Darkness, alas, I knew him well....when I had my '61 Jag......

2017All4 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:27 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Quick update after having car for about 5 days.....

Car continues to meet or exceed expectations....and great fun to drive too.....

Always puts a smile on my face when I come out and see it....

Also, discovering features I was not aware of periodically....and pleased with them....

Freakiest experience was turning onto a street and then hearing a woman's voice say to me, "You have a message, would you like to hear it?". Was quite disconcerting at first, since I didn't think I had anyone in my car besides myself. Then realized it was message in my phone (had put phone inside armrest for charging).....Figured I better respond to the lovely sounding woman....so, said, "Yes, I would like to hear message." and Voila! she read me the message! What will they think of next?.....it's a Brave New World!

And the best news, was that SWMBO, really likes the car! that was the one thing I was worried about with ordering car and not seeing it in person upfront....

And she even said that she probably should have gotten a MINI instead of the Beetle...and maybe she will decide to trade it in and order one like I did!
We shall see, if she actually decides to follow through on that, but it was great to hear how much she likes the MINI....and that I had made a good choice....(don't hear that often... )

Keeping a list of questions for my upcoming appt at dealer....been reading manual and watching some of the MINI videos. Helpful, but some of vids are outdated, as controls have changed since they made video, many about 5 years ago....

Did I mention I did my first mod on Monday?.....went and got the MINI sunshade....nicely designed (much stouter than one I got for wife's Beetle...) and came with a sleeve case for it.

Next up per SWMBO, is different color wheel caps....I was thinking red, but she thinks yellow.......I first suggested pink to go with the license plate frames, but she's getting nervous about what's going on with all the pink.....

So, besides wheel caps, she wants the pink frames to go.....so, another decision....

Then she doesn't like the black door panels inside...told her that they stopped the gray panel options a few years ago, but I could order them and replace. She said to do it....so, that might happen, we'll see...I actually would like the lighter look too, but not sure I want to pay to have panels changed and risk damaging the door trim items, etc....I could probably do it myself, if I want to spend the time.

Wait til she finds out about the list of mods I posted in earlier post that turns car into a 'pocket rocket'.....

I did tell her that she needs to be nice while in the car or I'd press the red switch and eject her out the sunroof........she didn't think that was very funny.......sigh.......

The following 2 users liked this post by ArchiMark:
2017All4 (07-19-2019), sbreech (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Quick update after having car for about 5 days.....

Car continues to meet or exceed expectations....and great fun to drive too.....

Always puts a smile on my face when I come out and see it....

And it only gets better over time!

Wait til she finds out about the list of mods I posted in earlier post that turns car into a 'pocket rocket'.....

Plug in a little box that gives a few extra psi of boost and the look on your face will make She Who Must suspect you're having an affair.

I did tell her that she needs to be nice while in the car or I'd press the red switch and eject her out the sunroof....

Ejector function is activated when you put pressure on the JCW steering wheel badge while also pressing the red toggle, but it only works if all the stitching is the same color and, of course, you need to have that JCW wheel. So, wifey is safe from ejection, and the burden of unmatched stitching is yours to carry with your head held high.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Thanks, coach!

Old 07-22-2019, 05:25 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Been busy paddling along.....and enjoying every minute of it....

Question for you all.....

About how many miles do you usually get (in 'standard mode'....if anyone uses it....) on trip odometer when fuel gauge changes from 1/2 tank left to the next lower level?

I found this was a helpful indicator on my ol' RSX...I usually got about 220 miles at 1/2 tank, so, if I dropped much below that, I would start checking car....

And suppose while we're at it, if anyone has same info for Sport or Eco Mode, would be interesting to know as well.

To be apples to apples, would need to be for Cooper S with automatic.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2019, 05:39 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm usually running in standard mode. Cannot tell you much w/ my 2019 as I still have not cracked 300 miles on it.

On your turn signal stick, there is a button on the very end you can press to change display info on the lower portion of the display behind the steering wheel. One of them shows Miles you can travel before you run out (it's based on your current MPG avg). Hope that is the answer you seek.

ArchiMark (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:07 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I'm usually running in standard mode. Cannot tell you much w/ my 2019 as I still have not cracked 300 miles on it.
I'm not far behind you at 170 miles....and that's about where it was at when it dropped from 1/2 tank to the next increment below.

If you remember next time you've filled up tank, note how many miles it's on when it drops from 1/2 tank....

On your turn signal stick, there is a button on the very end you can press to change display info on the lower portion of the display behind the steering wheel. One of them shows Miles you can travel before you run out (it's based on your current MPG avg). Hope that is the answer you seek.
Thanks for the info....will check that out.....

Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 AM
JasonMa
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
170 sounds about right for my automatic F56, especially when its city driving. I've noticed that it takes forever for the fist increment to drop, often close to 100 miles, but it drops pretty quickly after that to make up for it. Its my daily drive including about a 20 mile round trip to work and back. I get about 26 mpg if its just city driving, pushing up towards 30 if a lot of highway driving is mixed in.

ArchiMark (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 07:20 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
If you're over 175 miles and you still show half a tank, it simply means you're not driving that MINI hard enough, after the 1,200 mile break-in period, of course.

ArchiMark (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JasonMa
170 sounds about right for my automatic F56, especially when its city driving. I've noticed that it takes forever for the fist increment to drop, often close to 100 miles, but it drops pretty quickly after that to make up for it. Its my daily drive including about a 20 mile round trip to work and back. I get about 26 mpg if its just city driving, pushing up towards 30 if a lot of highway driving is mixed in.
Thanks for the info. Had same experience, it took a long time for the first increment to change...at first I thought, wow, this thing gets a lot better gas mileage than I thought.....

My daily driving has changed dramatically, since I changed work location a while back. Went from about 24 miles each way, almost all on highway, down to 4 miles each way, mornings almost all on highway (70 - 80 mph) and evenings on arterial street with stoplights. Been very hot the past week, so going home, I've used A/C for most of drive. Assume there's a small hit for that....dash shows 24 mpg now. but this is my first tank of gas and only got about 174 miles on car now.

If you're over 175 miles and you still show half a tank, it simply means you're not driving that MINI hard enough, after the 1,200 mile break-in period, of course.
Well, I'm only at 174 miles.....and below half, so guess I'm doing good, except, doesn't count, since I'm well below the 1,200 mile mark....

Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I'm on my first tank in my countryman S all4, mostly city streets, short trips, just dropped below half a tank and only at 19mpg so far.
And I haven't even used sport mode yet. lol Just regular easy driving.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:34 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
My average is 29.6 MPG on my 2019 JCW since new. I currently have a bit over 7000 miles on it and I don't drive it slow.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:21 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by d2mini
I'm on my first tank in my countryman S all4, mostly city streets, short trips, just dropped below half a tank and only at 19mpg so far.
And I haven't even used sport mode yet. lol Just regular easy driving.
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
My average is 29.6 MPG on my 2019 JCW since new. I currently have a bit over 7000 miles on it and I don't drive it slow.
Thanks for the info guys....very helpful...

I just came back from filling up S with gas for the first time....

Was down 3/4 of tank, got 250 miles on that, so, equals 26 MPG.....not too bad I think and have use A/C a fair amount since it's been hot lately....92 today.....

Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Hey, MINI buds......I'm back......

Been bit over a month since I got my car.....and have enjoyed every minute of driving it....even enjoy just seeing it in the driveway every day....

Had my '2nd Delivery' with the MINI Genius at dealer....very helpful and learned a lot...spent about an hour with the guy....

For example, if I hold the unlock button on key fob down, it will unfold mirrors, open windows, and sun roof......thought I was going to have to program that myself....

Getting used to controls on the screen....nav system works quite well as do the other features....

Gas mileage now avg about 29 - 30.....not bad....

SWMBO said the other day that she should have gotten a MINI instead of Beetle....that's second time now....so, may be getting closer to getting her over to dealer and ordering one....we shall see....but would be fun to see two MINI's in the driveway....

Here's two pics of latest mods......

How are you guys doing with yours lately?

2017All4 (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 11:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Congrats!! Nice color choice.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-19-2019, 11:28 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Congrats!! Nice color choice.
Thanks!

Assuming you refer to the wheel caps change....thought the red would be fun spot of color.....

Other pic relates to removing the pink license plate frames.....waited until I get my permanent plates to do this....

Might leave plates frameless....or get some other frames at some point....

Quick Reply: Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?