1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Yup. In the story I related above, I filed the paperwork at the time I signed over title. The guy got the ticket that same afternoon, but the DMV honored my claim that it wasn't me because, evidently, the time stamp of the change of ownership confirmed that the ticket happened after I relinquished ownership. In those days, it was required that I appear at the DMV to clear it up. Early days of data systems. But the date stamp set me free!!

Lucky you!

Old 07-09-2019, 12:50 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchiMark
Lucky you!

Indeed. And, as you have obviously discovered, one arrives at that point in life where an experience like my selling the Honda provokes a growing awareness of the value of one's time. I still hope I am not frivolous about money, and I certainly seem to get some sort of weird pleasure out of doing aggressive car deals, but, overall, more and more, I find myself thinking about the value of my heartbeats, which, I believe, based on my understanding of the science, are limited. Which is why I like to drive fun cars. Which is why I have a MINI!!! And, soon, you will too. And you will feel those heartbeats in a new way after you whip around a few corners and don't bother to tap the brakes. Woo Hoo!!

Old 07-09-2019, 04:45 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Indeed. And, as you have obviously discovered, one arrives at that point in life where an experience like my selling the Honda provokes a growing awareness of the value of one's time. I still hope I am not frivolous about money, and I certainly seem to get some sort of weird pleasure out of doing aggressive car deals, but, overall, more and more, I find myself thinking about the value of my heartbeats, which, I believe, based on my understanding of the science, are limited. Which is why I like to drive fun cars. Which is why I have a MINI!!! And, soon, you will too. And you will feel those heartbeats in a new way after you whip around a few corners and don't bother to tap the brakes. Woo Hoo!!
Old enough to understand what you're referring to about life....

And about the joy of fun cars / MINI's......

Looking forward to zipping round corners in my little go-kart soon.....

The following users liked this post:
sbreech (07-09-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
The Eagle has landed........

Got word yesterday that my car arrived at dealer.....yeah!

Not too bad, was ordered on 5/3......

My sales person was nice and sent a few pics....

So, here she is, Blue MINI S.....

Not sure those pink license plates will be there very long.....
But otherwise, pleased with the look....

Have appt tomorrow morning to take care of business and get my new wheels....

The following 2 users liked this post by ArchiMark:
ECSTuning (07-16-2019), sbreech (07-15-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Very nice looking car.. Gray interior w/ the chrome-line exterior looks classy to my eye. Of course, I'm a bit biased in that regard. The car was definitely worth the wait. I'm really happy for you.

Hope you have good luck with it and many happy miles ahead.

sbreech (07-15-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Nice!! Welcome to the Satellite Gray Lounge Leather Club. And I see those shift paddles lurking behind the steering wheel...

Very pretty car.

Now plow through the business part, get everything you're entitled to get, don't let the smiling Finance pro fleece you, and MOTOR!!

This has been a great thread. Thanks for letting us in on your adventure from start to lift off.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:24 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Congrats!

Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Very nice looking car.. Gray interior w/ the chrome-line exterior looks classy to my eye. Of course, I'm a bit biased in that regard. The car was definitely worth the wait. I'm really happy for you.

Hope you have good luck with it and many happy miles ahead.

Thanks for the good words! and all your great support along the way of this journey.....it really made the wait a lot more tolerable and fun!

Nice!! Welcome to the Satellite Gray Lounge Leather Club. And I see those shift paddles lurking behind the steering wheel...

Very pretty car.

Now plow through the business part, get everything you're entitled to get, don't let the smiling Finance pro fleece you, and MOTOR!!

This has been a great thread. Thanks for letting us in on your adventure from start to lift off.

Thanks for the good words! and all your great support and valuable purchasing tips along the way.....it really helped me get myself psyched to deal with the process.....

So, where do I get my Satellite Gray Lounge Leather Club badge????

And when do I get my decoder ring and learn the secret handshake????

Will report back after I actually conclude the deal and have MINI to scoot around in....

And why did MINI delete the 'Entering Go-Kart Mode....' message!!!

Originally Posted by d2mini
Congrats!
Thank you!....greatly appreciate your input to this long thread. Everyone's input really made this long wait much more bearable.....and enjoyable.....

**** Just when you thought we're done, not so fast.........

Will report back after I have the car and have tested it out.....

If I have questions, which I probably will, will then start new post for those.....

Ready for MOTORING.....standing by for today......

Old 07-11-2019, 09:32 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator

Thanks for the good words! and all your great support and valuable purchasing tips along the way.....it really helped me get myself psyched to deal with the process.....

So, where do I get my Satellite Gray Lounge Leather Club badge????

And when do I get my decoder ring and learn the secret handshake????

:
This is complicated.... The Committee is meeting now to discuss awarding the badge. There is a minor sticking point in that the white stitching on your nice, softer-than-JCW steering wheel does not match the red stitching on the shift ****. However, I did mention to the Committee that you have the shift paddles, so that might garner some sympathy, if you promise to add a tuner box (NM or Dinan or RaceChip or something else) after the first 1,000 miles. If it is determined you are eligible, you will most likely receive the badge after the deal is done and you report that you have the car, unless you buy fabric protection or mop 'n glo paint glaze from the finance dept.

The Secret Handshake will be revealed when, after you get to know the car and really let it rip, you experience the adrenaline rush, causing your hands to tremble from the buzz -- that is the "handshake."

And, of course, you have discovered, or soon will discover, that you already are in possession of the decoder ring. The journey imbues you with the knowledge necessary to decode the process for yourself. That's the magic!!

Shazam!!

Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Congratulations! Great color combination (although I'm biased towards the electric blue). Looks great!

Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
This is complicated.... The Committee is meeting now to discuss awarding the badge. There is a minor sticking point in that the white stitching on your nice, softer-than-JCW steering wheel does not match the red stitching on the shift ****. However, I did mention to the Committee that you have the shift paddles, so that might garner some sympathy, if you promise to add a tuner box (NM or Dinan or RaceChip or something else) after the first 1,000 miles. If it is determined you are eligible, you will most likely receive the badge after the deal is done and you report that you have the car, unless you buy fabric protection or mop 'n glo paint glaze from the finance dept.

The Secret Handshake will be revealed when, after you get to know the car and really let it rip, you experience the adrenaline rush, causing your hands to tremble from the buzz -- that is the "handshake."

And, of course, you have discovered, or soon will discover, that you already are in possession of the decoder ring. The journey imbues you with the knowledge necessary to decode the process for yourself. That's the magic!!

Shazam!!
OK, standing by for Committee results.....

Dang, you have eagle eyes.....was hoping you didn't notice the red stitching.....

As for mods, besides this wonderful thread, I entertained myself and passed the time sometimes by watching too many YouTube MINI mod videos.....Yikes! that's a big rabbit hole....One day I made a list of all the goodies I'd like from them and I think I was up to around $10K or so....WaveTrac LSD, Eventuri intakes (like idea of making the hood scoop functional, right?....), Larger intercooler, JCW or Brembo brakes (although a couple of cans of red spray paint are a lot cheaper....), and catback exhaust....(just gotta remember to swap original back in for smog checks, right?....)....So, hopefully, the Committee will make consideration for this...

Appreciate all your wise counsel, Obi-Wan.......

2017All4 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dsw13
Congratulations! Great color combination (although I'm biased towards the electric blue). Looks great!
Thank you for the good words!

Yes, I'm biased towards the electric blue too, which is what my car is or at least supposed to be....

Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Oops.....sorry, Obi-Wan, but I forgot a couple other mods.....

Coilovers/springs to lower car.....gotta get that slammed look, as the kids would say.....

New tires......

And don't forget the super special alloy wheels to shave off 100 #'s off the unsprung (?) weight....

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom.....to paraphrase the old Mazda commercials.....

Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Couple of nice improvements over my 2015 MCS. Much better center stack screen display. Also like to option to choose a 5 pulse turn signal choice compared to the previous 3 flashes.. Wish my Bimmer had that option. Interested to hear if when using your steering wheel audio control (with a thumb drive and "random playback') if you have to select "ok" when changing songs. My center stack arrow automatically chooses the next random song selection when pressing. Wheel control (with the HUD) requires I press "ok".

Last message I received with my Satellite Gray decoder ring was "Drink Ovaltine". What the heck???????????????

2017All4 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 12:52 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Couple of nice improvements over my 2015 MCS. Much better center stack screen display. Also like to option to choose a 5 pulse turn signal choice compared to the previous 3 flashes.. Wish my Bimmer had that option. Interested to hear if when using your steering wheel audio control (with a thumb drive and "random playback') if you have to select "ok" when changing songs. My center stack arrow automatically chooses the next random song selection when pressing. Wheel control (with the HUD) requires I press "ok".

Last message I received with my Satellite Gray decoder ring was "Drink Ovaltine". What the heck???????????????
Never had a car that could allow you to adjust number of flashes....I'm definitely movin' up in the world now.....

Will let you know how the audio control works after I test it.....

Ovaltine! Ha! I loved coming home from school as a little kid and knocking back a glass of Ovaltine.....those were the dayz.....

Hate to say how many years its been since my last glass.....

sbreech (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Never had a car that could allow you to adjust number of flashes....I'm definitely movin' up in the world now.....
Oh, just wait until you get Carly or Bimmercode and learn all the fun stuff you can adjust.... My door handle courtesy lights now light up when I put the car in reverse, and I can use my fob or the door handle button to roll windows down and up, open and close the sunroof, fold and unfold my side mirrors, and some other stuff I've forgotten. And, of course, it is possible to adjust the number of lane change flashes. And whether the alarm set signal is audible or not, and, of course, converting the eco mode toggle to flip open the front driving lights to reveal the Vulcan cannons..... Welcome to the secret world of MINI

Old 07-11-2019, 06:10 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
And I see you have the sunroof.... next lesson will be on how to activate the ejection seat, Grasshopper.

After, that is, you visit the beater car lot across the street from your MINI dealer and unload that Acura....

Old 07-11-2019, 06:25 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Dang, you have eagle eyes.....was hoping you didn't notice the red stitching.....

You mean the red stitching on BOTH the shift **** AND the shifter boot???? The Committee Sees All, young Skywalker.

Much sympathy and support are provided for prospective MINI owners. Once you've pulled the trigger and written the check and driven your MINI off the lot, this becomes a much tougher room. For those who have much, much is expected... starting with mods.

Last edited by 2017All4; 07-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
Congrats. It's worth the wait.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Oh, just wait until you get Carly or Bimmercode and learn all the fun stuff you can adjust.... My door handle courtesy lights now light up when I put the car in reverse, and I can use my fob or the door handle button to roll windows down and up, open and close the sunroof, fold and unfold my side mirrors, and some other stuff I've forgotten. And, of course, it is possible to adjust the number of lane change flashes. And whether the alarm set signal is audible or not, and, of course, converting the eco mode toggle to flip open the front driving lights to reveal the Vulcan cannons..... Welcome to the secret world of MINI
Read a bit about Bimmercode here on the forums....don't recall Carly.....hope she's as cute as my new wheels...

Yep, all sounds like another fun rabbit hole to down into.....

And I see you have the sunroof.... next lesson will be on how to activate the ejection seat, Grasshopper.

After, that is, you visit the beater car lot across the street from your MINI dealer and unload that Acura....
Grasshoppa ready for lesson from master, Obi-Wan Mini-konobi....

You mean the red stitching on BOTH the shift **** AND the shifter boot???? The Committee Sees All, young Skywalker.
Yep, not surprised.....

Much sympathy and support are provided for prospective MINI owners. Once you've pulled the trigger and written the check and driven your MINI off the lot, this becomes a much tougher room. For those who have much, much is expected... starting with mods.
Grasshoppa, Skywalker, is preparing himself for the mods journey ahead.....

Last edited by 2017All4; 07-12-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
This has been a very "fun" thread....hopefully all those who have been waiting for their Minis have taken possession and are enjoying them. Perhaps we can continue this conversation w/ pix of mods and add-ons we've done to our cars.

I just received a Union Jack cargo mat to cover the hatch area w/ the rear seat folded. Window tint and bonnet/boot stripe or some sort to follow, will post pix when all is accomplished.

ArchiMark (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:47 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
hopefully all those who have been waiting for their Minis have taken possession and are enjoying them.
Nope.
Ask MINI says mine came into the Brunswick port last friday, was released from the VPC days ago and is on a carrier (truck) on its way to my dealer in Houston, TX.

My M.A. says it came into the port and is waiting to get on another boat so it can go all the way around Florida, into the Gulf of Mexico to the Galveston Port where it can go through VPC again and then to their shop. But of course, it's just sitting there for now because of the big storm in the gulf right now.

Hmmmm......

Old 07-12-2019, 02:12 PM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday at the dealership and I picked it up today. It has been a bit of chaos trying to get information and determining a date of arrival, especially since they were told it was still in Maryland on Wednesday. Such a pleasant surprise for me!!

Old 07-12-2019, 05:18 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
This has been a very "fun" thread....hopefully all those who have been waiting for their Minis have taken possession and are enjoying them. Perhaps we can continue this conversation w/ pix of mods and add-ons we've done to our cars.

I just received a Union Jack cargo mat to cover the hatch area w/ the rear seat folded. Window tint and bonnet/boot stripe or some sort to follow, will post pix when all is accomplished.
Amen, bro USA-RET.....if we were all in the same vicinity, I'd meet up wit you all and buy you a libation of your choice, and we could 'chew the MINI fat' a bit.....

Like your idea of continuing the fun....and pix, etc...

Need pix of your mods or no badge for you!.....

Originally Posted by d2mini
Nope.
Ask MINI says mine came into the Brunswick port last friday, was released from the VPC days ago and is on a carrier (truck) on its way to my dealer in Houston, TX.

My M.A. says it came into the port and is waiting to get on another boat so it can go all the way around Florida, into the Gulf of Mexico to the Galveston Port where it can go through VPC again and then to their shop. But of course, it's just sitting there for now because of the big storm in the gulf right now.

Hmmmm......

Hmmmmm......indeed!

Will think positive for you....

Originally Posted by sbreech
Mine arrived yesterday at the dealership and I picked it up today. It has been a bit of chaos trying to get information and determining a date of arrival, especially since they were told it was still in Maryland on Wednesday. Such a pleasant surprise for me!!
Lucky you!

Hope you like it!

Pix or no badge for you!.....

sbreech (07-15-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:21 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Oops, forgot to mention in prior post, that I had to postpone picking my car until Sunday morning.....oh well, but not that far away now.....

Will report back after haven driven car......

Quick Reply: Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?