1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arm & Leg

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 02:17 PM
halid
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arm & Leg

I have read commentary from a certified MINI mechanic. He states that the MINI is not an economy car. It is a performance car. As such, owners/buyers had better be prepared to spend an arm and a leg on maintenance. He said that that should be expected by any performance car buyer. In other words, know what you getting into when you buy a MINI and be prepared to spend a lot of money maintaining your toy. It's kind of like the poor man's Ferrari, although not nearly as costly to buy, nor as exotic. I raise the issue because I am seriously considering the purchase of a very low mileage/pristine '06 GP and have become a bit less enthused about moving forward with the purchase after reading the commentary. Any comments?

Thank you,
HD

Old 05-18-2013, 05:01 PM
dudebaker
2nd Gear
What country do you live in? That will make a difference in the responses you receive regarding the cost of maintaining a Mini.
I'm assuming by "GP" that you're referring to the JCW Cooper, yes? I would compare that to the likes of a Subaru WRX STi.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 PM
jgc_tn
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by halid
I have read commentary from a certified MINI mechanic. He states that the MINI is not an economy car. It is a performance car. As such, owners/buyers had better be prepared to spend an arm and a leg on maintenance. He said that that should be expected by any performance car buyer. In other words, know what you getting into when you buy a MINI and be prepared to spend a lot of money maintaining your toy. It's kind of like the poor man's Ferrari, although not nearly as costly to buy, nor as exotic. I raise the issue because I am seriously considering the purchase of a very low mileage/pristine '06 GP and have become a bit less enthused about moving forward with the purchase after reading the commentary. Any comments?

Thank you,
HD

Wow......what a joy this was to read NOT!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:03 PM
dudebaker
2nd Gear
A Mini is like any other import. Parts are typically more expensive than it's domestic counterpart.
By GP do you mean a JCW? Are you planning on paying a mechanic to service the vehicle for you?

Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
In some ways true....but also wrong.
sure, a mini is no honda....
but if you either have a good local independent mini guy, diy work, it is a fun, and imo opinion cost effective ride....sure parts can be $$, 93 octane costs more than 87....so it is NOT AN ECONOMY car...but as ADVERTISIED a PREMIUM SMALL CAR...
if you go to a dealer or bmw shop...be prepared for HUGE $$, But that is kinda true about most any make...
The 2006 gp is a great track car....the ultimate gen1 mini...but more of a collectors car and track car than a daily driver....individually numbered, and the gen1 parts are $$$ compared to a regular mini...but besides the body parts, 90% of the car is mostly a gen1 mini JCW.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have read commentary from a certified MINI mechanic. He states that the MINI is not an economy car. It is a performance car. As such, owners/buyers had better be prepared to spend .......
Well, enjoy your life driving Honda Accords.

I'm more than happy to spend a few bucks more for a car that puts a smile on my face as I trudge to work...

I already have a coffee maker at home. I don't want to drive one.

Face it, its a European car... made in England, engineered by BMW. Its going to need more TLC than your beater discount bread and butter car you see 500 of at the local mall.

Parts for all cars cost money. Labor rates for all cars is around $100. Gas cost money. Stuff costs money. Cars are not for poor people. If you really want to save money take a bus.

I've owned lots of cars, many European. Parts are no more for my 98 Golf then they were for the 91 Nissan Pathfinder I used to own.

As consumers demand more, the quality of the parts, along with the complexity has increased.

Mom always said:

Nice stuff costs money. and... You get what you pay for.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 PM
jgc_tn
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Well, enjoy your life driving Honda Accords.

I'm more than happy to spend a few bucks more for a car that puts a smile on my face as I trudge to work...
I already have a coffee maker at home. I don't want to drive one.
Mom always said:
Nice stuff costs money. and... You get what you pay for.
Oh, snap.............

Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Camthewookie
3rd Gear
I would agree that a MINI is not an economy car - and it is only marketed as such from a fuel mileage standpoint. In every other respect it's a premium small car. I think for the purposes of this discussion you have to be clear about maintenance vs. repair costs. I don't think regular maintenance on the MINI is outrageously expensive at all, but repairs beyond maintenance items can add up quickly. Do a little research and figure out what's going to need replacing at some point in the service life of the vehicle and determine if you think the costs are going to be justified by the experience for you. Ultimately I don't think many folks buy a MINI because of its rational or logical merits - and those that do probably don't end up as happy as they thought they would be in the long run. If you get yourself into a MINI because they are unique and nothing else will quite do (and you love driving it), then that's a different story.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 PM
DrewN
6th Gear

Thank you,
HD
Parts are not cheap. Dealership mechanic's labor rates are not cheap. On top of that MINI's are generally not *considered* reliable cars, at least compared to those other boring appliances on the road.

So yeah, stay far away from buying that low mileage/pristine 06 GP.

PS. Can I have a link to that car please? Purely for curiosity's sake

Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Does anybody find it interesting that a person looking at buying a handbuilt (cars were shipped to a 3rd party for completions...not in the mini factory in england), numbered, collectorable mini is worried about mx costs?
the car the op is,looking at is great, but as a gen1 owner, a gp was sold as a stripper, aka, almost no options to keep weight down....so no xenons, no/minimal sound insulation, no heated seats...

It is a car for the gen1 mini consour....
A fulley loaded gen1 minin from 2006 is almost always more plush, more optioned, and as a daily driver, 99% as fun....but if you must own the fastest gen1 FACTORY mini...the gp is it.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:55 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/11/...of-the-jcw-gp/

A GP gen1 review....

But let’s start with the basics. The GP is fast. And the sensation is so exhilarating that, if you aren’t burying the tach needle, you feel you’re letting down the car. It’s almost as if it deserves to be driven like you stole it constantly. The sensation of speed, the sounds coming from the exhaust, there are very few cars that are as immediately fun as the GP. One of the additions (or subtractions depending on how you look at it) was the reduction of sound deadening material in an effort to reduce weight. The affect is more road, engine and exhaust noise in the cabin. This is also helped by the lack of rear seats. The net result is a car that isn’t quite as road-trip friendly as the stock MC or MCS. It’s not what I could call loud but you rarely forget that you’re driving a narrowly focused performance car. The GP is also quite a bit lower to the ground than the stock MCS. The front air-dam in particular is exceedingly low. In fact I bottomed out several times simply driving on Chicago roads. And the side skirts aren’t much higher. To jack up the GP, you first must open the small “trap doors” on the bottom of the side skirts to reach the jack points. Then you have to insert the supplied orange blocks which effectively lengthen the jack points to protect the side skirts. To make matters worse the GP doesn’t include a standard MINI jack that typically comes with the cars as it would be incompatible with the orange blocks that extend the jack points. Needless to say fixing a flat should only be undertaken by an experienced person (or BMW dealer) with a low profile jack or an actual lift. It also means getting rid of the run-flats on the GP brings some interesting potential problems should an owner ever need to change a tire on the side of the road.

Gen1 buyers guide...
http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Last edited by ZippyNH; 05-18-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://www.motoringfile.com/2006/12/...review-jcw-gp/

While all this makes for an great track car, what does it do for the general day to day livability of the GP? No, it may not be the right choice for those who need more than two seats occasionally. But for those who can look beyond that, this car does everything anyone could expect of it while feeling and sounding better (and yes badder) than any other factory MINI out there. It’s great with gas (despite the fact that I recorded 16.8mpg in my “rigorous” tests), it fits anywhere and it swallows luggage or groceries as well as a 3 series. One of the most loved attributes of the MINI is it’s ability to be a great track car while being versatile enough to act as a useful part of daily life. What MINI has done with the GP was to turn the performance portion up to 11 while keeping most of the versatility of the stock car intact. The net result is a truly special car that is hard not to fall in love with more and more each day. Simply put, the GP is the ultimate MINI.
So...might be a daily driver for some...but not for others!!
Good Luck!!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM
St_G
4th Gear
At the malls around here, you might just see 500 MINIs. It's a pretty popular make in urban markets, especially those with local dealers.

Originally Posted by danjreed
Face it, its a European car... made in England, engineered by BMW. Its going to need more TLC than your beater discount bread and butter car you see 500 of at the local mall.