1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Virgin Post- hi everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Virgin Post- hi everyone!

So I have been a MINI stalker for quite awhile, interested for about a year and started getting serious at car shopping about a month ago. I've kept an eye on this site for awhile for info. and just joined yesterday. After awhile I thought the MINI would skyrocket my insurance costs but I checked into it and it's about what I pay now for my 2003 Alero because of the safety features - SO the MINI is happily back in the running for automotive posiblities I still want to test drive a Saturn Astra (would be a "sensible shoes" car option ) but the MINI is at the top of my list. I have yet to drive one (the only dealership is over an hour away and I have an appointment for Monday after work). I REALLY want to test drive MINI now but haven't driven the Saturn yet, should I bump my MINI test drive date up to tomorrow ?(dealership only open late Monday's and Thursday's) if I do that though I have a feeling if I want it (likely) I would put money down and start the build process right then and there. I just didn't want to delay the build process any longer than needed if I decide to get it. Ugh, I get anxious just thinking about the wait

Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
By the way, I'm looking at the base 2008 MC, mannual in Pepper White (+ roof) no stripes, + premium pkg + a couple options like armrestfloormats, leather steering wheel with audio

Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Hubs
4th Gear
Get the Mini . I test drove a used 2005 first . Almost bought it on the spot . the car handles fantastic. Really tight steering and suspension and the base cooper really has some get up and go. It also does not feel like a small car when sitting in the drivers seat .
But after coming here to these forums and seeing that with the 6 speed manual you can squeeze out 36 + mpg , I decided to go for a new one. Plus you get the 4 year warranty.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:52 PM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Thank you Hubs! It is so nice to get quick responses from people on this forum. I appreciate your feedback. I am sure I will adore the Mini which is why I am saving the test drive for last (or trying to I want to make sure when I drive it, I'll be ready to put the money down right then

Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
MiniNova
3rd Gear
Hi DanceForMINI!

You will find the Mini is the best car you can drive, it's very fun and it's amazing the space you get inside, it looks much smaller from the outside.

I ordered a Mini S with the sport package and those seats are amazingly comfortable, I was really impress when I test drove it.

But the main thing is the handling, you can't beat control you get with the Mini. Before you buy one test both versions, the S with the sports package and the Non S and see how you like it.

I'm sure aether way you'll go it will be a trill every day.

Good luck and let us know how you like it!

Last edited by MiniNova; 05-14-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the NAM Family! Go directly to MINI. Do not pass the Saturn dealer. Do not test drive the Saturn. Go directly to MINI. Take Checkbook.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
DOGTOR
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased an '08 MCCS last week after having owned and driven a '96 Saturn SL1 as my only vehicle for the past 10 years. The Saturn never gave me any problems, was very reliable, and still gets 40 mpg highway. Seriously, I've driven between Philadelphia and Maine (over 400 miles) multiple times on just 10 gallons of gas, occasionally without stopping. I actually returned to Saturn to test drive an Aura just for that reason.

But, something about the Mini is just, for lack of a better word, phenomenal. Okay, there are lots of things about it that are phenomenal. Not only that, I've been getting 30-31mpg driving around town. Not even highway.

So, nothing against Saturn, but if you had an Astra and a Mini sitting side-by-side, which one would you rather see parked in your driveway? I think the choice is clear.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Awww thanks everyone- I really appreciate the honest feedback and support- and DOGTOR you are right- one is obviously the clear choice This is such a great site!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Get the MINI I have had mine for almost 3 weeks and I am totally in love.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM
spidrz06
3rd Gear
I just decided to ditch my 03 Alero for a MINI, ordered it on 5/13.... trust me, you should do the same!!!! Go order that MINI!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mysticturner
Welcome to the NAM Family! Go directly to MINI. Do not pass the Saturn dealer. Do not test drive the Saturn. Go directly to MINI. Take Checkbook.
+1 -- you KNOW you want it!!!

One more option I'd suggest you get is the alarm... & iPod (if you're into the iPod thing.) But the alarm does some good things for bringing your insurance costs down. Besides the cool glow of the alarm indicator, anyway. I'm a big fan of the sports package, although not the sports suspension -- too many nasty speed bumps had my teeth on edge scraping the front end!! What were they thinking, speedbumps??? Anyway...welcome to the Mini "cult"ture, and happy motoring!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Mysticturner: DID YOU RECEIVE YOURS YET? I know they said 5/17, but....when are we going to get YOUR announcement??

Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Thanks again for all the suggestions... the alarm was already an option I wanted. That's something I am concerned about... parking my (wishfully thinking) MINI in my apartment parking lot.... sigh. Keeping my test drive appointment with Motor City for Monday but I have been speaking to a nice woman from Classic Mini in Ohio who seems to be very accomidating (sp).

Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Ummmm... So I just made a post a couple hours ago that I test drove the Saturn (dealership was awesome, no preasure, wonderful salesman I worked with) but the Astra didn't excite me... so I got home and placed an order with Classic Mini (OH)!!!!!! I still haven't test-drove one but I don't think I need to!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM
DOGTOR
1st Gear
Way to go! Awfully brazen of you to order without driving. Then again, I ordered my clubman before seeing one on the lot. Definitely not disappointed. Besides, how can thousands of MINI owners be wrong?

What did you finally decide on for specs??

Last edited by DOGTOR; 05-15-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
MC, Mannual, PW/PW, Premium PKG, center arm rest, alarm system, leather sport wheel + multifunction, floor mats (c/o dealership for being NAM member!) and bumper protection.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
DOGTOR
1st Gear
Wow, you were able to finagle free stuff for being a NAM member? I gotta try that some time.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:40 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Classic Mini in Ohio has a great "NAM Care Package" that I found out about on their dealership page on this site- can't beat that! This whole site has helped me out more than one way- finding loads of info, hearing from great MINI owners- and owners-to-be and now free floor mats

Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 AM
spidrz06
3rd Gear
Congrats!!!!! and now we wait....

Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DanceForMINI
Ummmm... So I just made a post a couple hours ago that I test drove the Saturn (dealership was awesome, no preasure, wonderful salesman I worked with) but the Astra didn't excite me... so I got home and placed an order with Classic Mini (OH)!!!!!! I still haven't test-drove one but I don't think I need to!

Looks like we hooked another one....

Donna

Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Hook, line and sinker