Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 and Colorado Emissions Woes

Old 08-19-2015, 11:38 AM
portedbuckle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 and Colorado Emissions Woes

Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 R53, and have been struggling to get it to pass emissions this year. Other than a pulley it is stock (and has passed in the past). So initially the o ring on the fuel cap was cracked, so I replaced that and reset the codes. I didn't realize it would also reset the readiness monitors (newbie mistake).

So all the systems are ready, no codes, no pending codes, EXCEPT the comprehensive component. Utilizing temp tags because of the failed emissions, I have put on a few hundred+ miles trying to get it to reset. I've mixed highway driving, stop and go, neighborhood driving, etc. Researched drive cycles, and tried that.

I have no problem fixing the problem, if there was one to fix, but right now I am stuck at home with a car I can't drive. I also have scheduling conflicts with taking it into the dealer, etc., because I am a pilot, and am not always in town.

Any help, getting this last readiness monitor to show ready would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adam

Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
To reset the monitor, it has to be driven....
Drive cycles....do a couple trips to the store...let it warm up...park it for a bit, start it warm...drive it home..let it sit till cold...both open and closed loop...
Kind if ironic...you can get a ticket for a old sticker, but to get it to be "ready to test" you need to drive it...
Guess if you are crazy parinoid, you could go get temp plates...but I'd drive it a few more days..think you need a couple of 70° f days if I recall...
Safe to say no mods, like no cat, etc?
When I was flying cargo based in Denver, I remember one of my coworkers "airport cars" was about 2 years out of date...but it was parked on the freight ramp, with out of state plates...but it was NEVER gonna get driven up to Wyoming (think...might have been elsewhere, it was a big old boat) for a safety sticker and back...lol...it barely made it back and forth to the Moonlight Dinner by the hotels so the guys could skip the hotel shuttle and go to other places in the area for fun...
Living "the dream" has challenges....but its better than working for a living...

Old 08-19-2015, 11:56 AM
portedbuckle
2nd Gear
Zippy! Didn't know you were a pilot too. You've helped me with my MINI in the past, so thanks!

Yeah, I am a bit paranoid, because I do have to drive it to get it ready, and I guess I have the emissions test fail paperwork to show the cop should I get pulled over. The weather has cooled down a bit, so maybe that's what I am missing. It's been hot here this year. I just read from other threads (With no resolution) that the comprehensive monitors are near impossible to show ready.

I've asked the dealership about it, and hopefully I can shed some light for anyone else with this issue.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by portedbuckle
Zippy! Didn't know you were a pilot too. You've helped me with my MINI in the past, so thanks!

Yeah, I am a bit paranoid, because I do have to drive it to get it ready, and I guess I have the emissions test fail paperwork to show the cop should I get pulled over. The weather has cooled down a bit, so maybe that's what I am missing. It's been hot here this year. I just read from other threads (With no resolution) that the comprehensive monitors are near impossible to show ready.

I've asked the dealership about it, and hopefully I can shed some light for anyone else with this issue.
Yeah...flew boxes for UPS and sometimes FedEx as a contractor...spent about 4 years in Denver flying mostly Merlin IV and metro III single pilot....when the heavy guys would jumpseating, and watch me do a landing to mins by hand, no flight director, etc, and say wow, that wasn't even a check ride, and the air wisky guys would talk of the frustrion of "living the dream" I kinda decided corporate would be a bit more dynamic, and less like a shuttle drive or even a trained monkey (depending on how you look at it).
I'd give it a few more days of local driving...both warm and cold, and not just airport runs with all good starts..night toss a new gascap on..then check it with you reader...
Know my $35 harborfright unit gives me emissions readiness too...
Had an old CRX I used as an airport car...thing had a few holes near the cat...but it passed the sniffer test on the dyno with flying colors (think you might be plug in only now right?).
Yeah...Denver was fun...but with the economy there being so boom and bust,when my company left Denver and laid me off, I pretty much had too move...been good though..
Good luck...my gut says you found the issue...the gas cap..maybe replace it..and it should take care of it self...
Many if the folks with issues had the cats removed and code reset modules wired up that would delete the code, so no light, but also no trace to WHY it was not emissions ready...
Funny how that stuff comes back to bite folks in the .....

Old 08-19-2015, 01:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Ya, unfortunately Colorado just passed this new emissions law for the readiness system check. It's been causing people more of a headache when it comes time. Our shop, non-MINI, had issues with tunes as they are tuned to just force readiness, which essentially failed them when it came time to doing emissions. Anyways, Zippy gave some good advise and hopefully things are good to go for your next trip in. If you're scared about getting pulled over, typically if you go into the DMV they will issue you a month or couple week long temp tag. I had to do this when I failed more than once a few years back. Good luck. Let us know what happens!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM
portedbuckle
2nd Gear
I thought about going corporate, but I really do enjoy the jumpseat and pass privileges at the airlines. Plus I get to take the girlfriend on some pretty awesome trips. AMS roundtrip, first class, $50 each. Not bad!

Have you ever seen the living the dream youtube video? If not, you'd get a kick out of it, especially after dealing with jumpseat drama. :P

As for the car, I've been driving it wherever, grocery, quick or long trips, and the last readiness test is still not ready. I have no doubt it would pass the sniffer test as there is nothing wrong with the car, but I am still trying to figure out a way for them to let me do just that. The dealership also told me the same thing, drive it... Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Some places are more lenient than others. You may be able to just request a sniffer test. I do have a friend that gets away with this with his car, but it could be just the place he brings his car for Denver County emissions.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 PM
portedbuckle
2nd Gear
So.... To end the story... I basically had to show the tech how to check for the check engine light. Apparently they didn't know the service engine soon light was the same thing. I never got the comprehensive component monitor to set, I didn't change anything, and now I passed. My last failure report said the check engine light failed, so I figured this was a technician issue.

Drives me crazy that I was "grounded" by the government, but it is all done now. If I have any advice, and I feel like I shouldn't even need to say this. Make sure the technician knows the SES light is the same as check engine.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by portedbuckle
So.... To end the story... I basically had to show the tech how to check for the check engine light. Apparently they didn't know the service engine soon light was the same thing. I never got the comprehensive component monitor to set, I didn't change anything, and now I passed. My last failure report said the check engine light failed, so I figured this was a technician issue.

Drives me crazy that I was "grounded" by the government, but it is all done now. If I have any advice, and I feel like I shouldn't even need to say this. Make sure the technician knows the SES light is the same as check engine.

Thanks for all the input.
Good to know it passed...
Government messing up?! Really?!
Maybe you found a guy who knows what the whole emissions testing thing is...
A $$ grab, and a way to get the worst offenders off the street...
Every time I am behind a motorcycle...my eyes water...so many are so rich..more pollution than 100 cars even though they burn so little gas...makes me wonder..

Old 09-11-2015, 07:02 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Well, glad it's behind you and things are all sorted now!