1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I may have a problem, My MINI addiction...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I may have a problem, My MINI addiction...

To all you, my fellow NAM'ers. I would like to ask for your feedback and your opinions on my personal situation. Well I am to the point where I think I may have a problem Let me set the scene for you.

I am 18, Single, Computer Programmer, bought and paid for my car myself and never had parents buy me either one of my cars (other is an '88 BMW 325is(track car)) and I have a HIGH addiction to my car. I broke up with my last girlfriend cause I “spent too much time with the car and not her” It all boils down to my MINI. I bought it in October of last year, so I have only had it for 6 months now, but I am VERY OCD about it and I cant stand certain things.
  • It has to be clean ALL the time meaning I clean it no less than 2 times a week.
  • I have waxed it 3 times so far this year
  • No one can eat or drink in the car
  • The only way that to drink if its bottled and its water (of your preference)
  • You have to knock off the crap off of your shoes before you step in the car.
  • If feet are dirty, you MUST keep feet on the rubber all weather mats
  • The windows have to be crystal clear
  • Water spots bug the crap out of me
  • The radio cannot be messed with w/o asking
  • People in the back CANNOT at anytime “joke” by messing with the detailing stuff behind my seat
  • I have 2 microfiber cloths for each task(exterior windows, wax as you dry, interior dash, leather, and interior windows)
  • I have 2 different applicators for 2 different tire shines
  • My tire pressure has to be at the same PSI for all 4
  • The radio volume cannot go over “21” while I am driving (parked is different)
Knowing all of this today, we had 8 inches of snow at work so when I got there (before the snow) I put on the cab cover so I didn't “scrape” the snow off of the car, causing unwanted marks swirls and scratches on the roof and windows and as I went out to leave a co-worker drove by and said “you should feel embarrassed”... Why? Why should I feel embarrassed for being smart and covering my car so I dont have to worry about ruining the finish...

When I was in the shower I got to thinking and I am not sure if I am actually taking it to far. Am I “over-protectant” of my car? I am only that bad on the car. Aside from my DVD's, they have to be alphabetical by title and the movies with numeric titles have to be in ascending order in the front of the binder, and the movies cant be “upside down” in the slot I should have to read them without flipping the binder around. But thats a different rant...

So my question to all of my fellow NAM'ers, what do you think, Should I try to ease off of my OCD-ness of the car, or is it really a problem I carry spot cleaner in the car to clean it when I deem appropriate. Do I really have a problem? Am I taking this a little too far?

I am asking for you true opinion so let me hear it. Please don't try to spare me the negative thoughts my feelings wont be hurt sense I am asking for what you think.
(Click for a bigger pic)

Thanks
-Sil3ncer7

Last edited by sil3ncer7; 03-04-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's OK ... I was like that early on, washing GBMINI#2 at lunch times at work, upset about dirty feet, etc ... in time, I calmed down to just fanatical

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
ajakeski
4th Gear
What did you do with the wet cover? It certainly didn't go into your car. When I was 18, I was overprotective of my cars. I still am, but now with more perspective.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 PM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ajakeski
What did you do with the wet cover? It certainly didn't go into your car. When I was 18, I was overprotective of my cars. I still am, but now with more perspective.
The cover went into a bag.. in the boot, that has an all weather rubber mat...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
irieman
5th Gear
"I am 18, Single, Computer Programmer, bought and paid for my car myself and never had parents buy me either one of my cars..."

You're doing great for 18, man! You have a whole lifetime of real problems ahead (taxes, balloon payments, pr*state, AYSO Fees...) Don't sweat the little stuff- it'll make you bitter. I say as long as you're not hurting anyone else, who cares what *anyone* else thinks!? Continue to do what makes you feel satisfied. Then 15 years from now, if you finally start to feel guilty you can always say "hey- I was 18".

--"18 @ heart" here...

PS: You can always get another girlfriend...
PSS: People say "OCD" like its bad thing!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Si3ncer7 I may not go as far as your OC, but pretty close. See Molly is my 1st Brand New Car, I'm in my Mid-40's. I've always been OC'd about my cars. And I take care of my Husband's car as well, he doesn't wash it RIGHT, doesn't know how to wax a car. Thinks all he has to do is put gas in it and it will last forever...I'm NOT joking. Being female I feel quite weird that I know way more about cars than he does.
Molly will be white gloved from day one, she will be with us for a Very Long Time.
So the moral of the story is...at your age it is ok to be OC about your car, if you've worked hard for it and have earned then you can be as OC'd as you want to be. I wouldn't let it ruin your life though, go have FUN...time passes by way to quickly to NOT enjoy it.

Good Luck!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
You're doing fine. I took my new Clubman to our local tinting place to have the headlight protective film applied today. I mentioned that my BMW 330 is 6 years old with only 5,700 miles on it. I also insisted on staying around while they applied the films and not leaving the car there.
The owner's comment was that I take too good care of my cars and that I need to drive them more and not worry about getting a scratch.
One reason my BMW has only 5,700 miles on her is because one time someone spit on her in a parking lot and another time someone dented the door. That was it. I no longer take her on any trip that would involve leaving her alone. At my shop she is always covered and at night garaged.

The same is happening with the Clubman. I waited 782 days for Otto and I dust and speed shine him at night and when he gets to my shop. Then I cover him.
I have only had 3 lifesize plush gorillas in my BMW, no other passengers. It will be the same for Otto. As I have asthma I never allow perfumed people in any car of mine. My mom (85 years old) rode home with me from the dealership. Of course, there is never eating in the car, or drinking unless it is bottled water.
I bought the back area liner for the Clubman, although I won't go shopping with him, so I'm not sure what I'm protecting.
Otto is my 14th new car in my lifetime and I can honestly say I have been fussy about most of them. Not the Suburbans or Nissan Titan as they are working cars, but all the others have been taken very good care of and everyone who ended up buying one of them was ecstatic with the condition.

I'm thinking of selling the BMW for a 2009 MINI Cabrio. If my mom and sister find out I'll probably be committed.

Hang in there. Your car is beautiful. To heck with what outsiders think.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
PS: You can always get another girlfriend...
Not really that worried about that

I wouldn't let it ruin your life though, go have FUN...time passes by way to quickly to NOT enjoy it.
Its not ruining by any means.. I dont have a life cause I am either working, Cleaning the car, or soon to be school.

I just hope its not too much.. I just dont really know what he meant by "embarrassed". wtf is that about.. maybe its cause my car is better than his Civic...

Old 03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
that7guy
6th Gear
Thats a mild case of OCD. I cant sleep if my car even has dust on it.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 AM
mellotron
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sil3ncer7
I just hope its not too much.. I just dont really know what he meant by "embarrassed". wtf is that about.. maybe its cause my car is better than his Civic...
Maybe it was a joke in reference to covering up the car? As if you're covering it cause you're embarrassed of it. But really who cares what they think.

This will be my 1st new car and I'm well over 30. The only thing I'll really be OCD about is parking strategically to minimize dings from others. I work at a university...narrow parking spaces, not enough so they all fill up, and idiots who already bang their door into my Subaru.

Last edited by mellotron; 03-05-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't worry about your OCDetailer's disease or your other obsessive compulsive behavior. Embrace it.

If anyone has a problem with it... it's their problem, not yours.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:53 AM
PGT
Banned
Do I really have a problem? Am I taking this a little too far?
yes. it is a bit much. my brother in law is twice your age and has this affliction in full, Stage IV condtion. It's a bit disturbing and annoying to be honest. As soon as a car is parked, he goes into the trunk to retrieve detailing supplies to clean it up. Could be a short 30 minute drive, could be from 4 hours. If we can't find him in the house, he's out cleaning up one of the cars. His wife is embarassed by it....perhaps even a bit upset. She doesn't like to drive in the rain because it means he'll be out there cleaning up the car after.

the one upside to being this way.....your car will be immaculate. all of my brother in law's cars are...despite some having 100k+ miles (Mustang and F150).

Me? It's been four months since I washed my car. It's been sitting in the garage.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you're incredibly well adjusted and self-sufficient for an 18 year old. How many of your friends or coworkers take pride in themselves and their stuff the way that you do? Not many, I'll wager. Taking extremely good care of your car's appearance may only become a problem when YOU think it's a problem. So keep up the good work until you find something, or someone, else to detail

Some of your detailing skills will come in pretty handy when it's time to entertain a significant other (think wax on -- wax off). And just imagine what you could do with a California Duster

Old 03-05-2008, 05:09 AM
MiniRee
3rd Gear
As the mother of two teenaged boys, one of whom is scheduled to take delivery of a MINI in early April, I am heartened to see someone your age who has managed to accomplish so much. Maybe your "OCD"-type personality plays a large part in your ability to achieve the way you do, so it could be viewed as a blessing rather than a curse!

Self-acceptance is hard to come to. All I can say for sure is that you sound like a conscientious and responsible man, and those are not bad things as long as you don't forget to enjoy yourself (and your MINI) at the same time.

BTW, I don't remember if you told us your car's name (or if he/she has one), but "Monk" would be perfect! (Not taking yourself too seriously is also important and not easy to do for most of us!) Be proud of yourself...

Old 03-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it works for you, then great. We keep my wife's Cooper nearly perfect (although the winter and drought watering restrictions have limited washings recently), but my MCS is getting to be a high mileage car and is the one we use to haul dogs to the vet and such.

With a few battle scars and stains, It is actually quite nice that I no longer worry all that much about it. I just maintain it mechanically, wash it when I can, and sometimes I empty the passenger footwell of all the soda cans and fast food garbage if I expect to carry a passenger.

The only warning comment I will make is that you should avoid letting "things" become more important than people and relationships. Of course, you do need a girlfriend who accepts and encourages your passions too, so there is a balance to be found. But in the end, it is your car and if it makes you happy to care for it as you do, then keep on keeping on!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 AM
356mikel
2nd Gear
Now, think of your problems and throw kids in the mix. every porsche i have ever owned my wife does not get in it , nor do the kids.i figured out long ago to have three cars(at least). i have always had a beater to haul kids around(series rovers are great for this ). see, you will be fine later in life when your married.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 AM
darmog
4th Gear
I am asking for you true opinion so let me hear it. Please don't try to spare me the negative thoughts my feelings wont be hurt sense I am asking for what you think.
(Click for a bigger pic)

Thanks
-Sil3ncer7

I see nothing wrong with you at all. I'd park my MCs next to yours anyday just knowing theres at least one person out there OCD enough that I know won't leave a ding on my own car.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 AM
the platform
5th Gear
I've never had the emotions and passion for a car like the ones I have for this one.I've never been interested in engines.
Now,I've actually got under the hood to do stuff like changing out the injectors.My wife sometimes looks at me like"who the hell are you?,where is the guy i married?"
It's a mystery.No use in fighting it.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 PM
IndiCooper
3rd Gear
wow, thats taking OCD to the max, but i can completely understand were your coming from with the water spots, dirty shoes and eating in the car. I use to let my friends eat in my car but they started leaving their trash and crums every were so that put an end to that. But Im only 17 and im not that obsessed with my car, i was when i first got it for like the first month but after that I kinda got over it and now just wash it once in a while and make sure people's shoes arent completely messy. But anyways good lucky with getting over some of that OCDness, dont let anyone put u down about being obsessed with ur car, MINIs are totally worth it!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Harmini_MN
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You know, the deal here is obvious: If you know enough about how you feel to ask somebody else about your behavior, then you know yourself pretty darn good. Your post was one of the most well-thought-out and smart things I've read in a while.

And I really really really hate to say this, because you probably hear it a lot - but at 18 what other people think about you and your actions really "seems to matter", and honest-truly, that will change. There will come a time that you don't give a rat's *** what other people think, and you'll be that much happier for it. (Within reason - I think you will get my drift here).

One of my favorite quotes about maturity is: "The audience of critics you carry around with you when you are young have packed up and gone home. - Author Unknown."

I have been OC about my autos since I was 16 and learning how to drive from watching "Dukes of Hazzard" (the original series) and racing others at stoplights (made a lot of friends that way, believe it or not!). I've been lucky, I guess - I never cared what people thought then and I sure in the hell don't now (at 48).

Enjoy your life, enjoy what makes you happy, and ... relax. Life is good - you have a Mini and a good job and lots of like-minded OCDs here with you.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Find that girl who love's cars as much as you do. They are out their.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:29 AM
sil3ncer7
5th Gear
Well if I were to quote everyone that just replied to the thread it would be long so ill do the best I can...

Darmog: Thanks I would be more than glad to park next to you and have you next to me... I hate door dings and I cant stand em..

and ...

Harmini_mn:
Thank you... All I have to say is wow! I feel and I have been told for an 18yr old I am doing things the way things are. Caressing the Mini makes me happy, to be able to look at her after a 6hr bath and say.. WOW! and the fact I can get inspiration like this makes me be that much more happier to be in such an elite club... Try this thread in the Saturn club.. HA..

But Ill keep on keepin on and hope to see everyone at the dragon... PS FYI Registration is OPEN FINALLY!!!!!!

-Thanks everyone... It really does mean alot and makes me know I am not 1 of a kind...