Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

:: EBC Green Stuff :: Front Brake Pad How-To...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 05:50 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Just thought everyone would like to see how easy it can be to do your own brake pads. The following link shows "EBC Green Stuff" pads being installed on a Cooper S, although the same procedure will work for nearly any other pad. I will put up a similar one for the back pads when they finally get off the production line. Enjoy!

http://outmotoring.com/How_to_Brakepadsft.html

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 04-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My only concern here is that I would recomed bar none, that rotors be resurfaced (cut or turned) to allow the new brake pads to bed the approiate transer film. This offers the best results in noise and vibration. If after 40k or so concider caliper hardware as wel.

Alexl

>>Just thought everyone would like to see how easy it can be to do your own brake pads. The following link shows "EBC Green Stuff" pads being installed on a Cooper S, although the same procedure will work for nearly any other pad. I will put up a similar one for the back pads when they finally get off the production line. Enjoy!
>>
>>
>>http://outmotoring.com/How_to_Brakepadsft.html

Old 04-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Ira
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is rotor resurfacing to allow new brake pads to "bed the approiate transer film" really necessary if you've only put 1000 miles on a brand new MCS? I ordered EBCs last week and planned on installing them as soon as they arrive. Thanks. :smile:

Old 04-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
IMO - there should only be 1 friction compound in the firepath of the rotor. This maintains the most smooth and consistant performance. It also tends to be the most quiet.

Alex

Old 04-22-2003, 08:01 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Alex, thanks for the great replies. It is worth noting that these days it is fairly difficult to find a shop that will turn rotors because the replacement cost versus labor is so close that many shops have stopped offering this as a service. Some smaller/older shops may still offer it and should charge in the neighborhood of 5-10 bucks a rotor, based on my experience. My most recent trip to the local Firestone yeilded a response in that category. Regardless, it is good to be reminded of good automotive repair practice!!

Regards,

Old 04-23-2003, 01:42 PM
miniSail
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Just thought everyone would like to see how easy it can be to do your own brake pads. The following link shows "EBC Green Stuff" pads being installed on a Cooper S, although the same procedure will work for nearly any other pad. I will put up a similar one for the back pads when they finally get off the production line. Enjoy!
>>
>>
>>http://outmotoring.com/How_to_Brakepadsft.html

How accurate is the expected 5/1 date for the rear pads? Also, as I'm sure you're going to get a BIG hit when they do come in, do you expect to get decent quantities, or are they going to sell out right away. I've been holding off ordering until I could get both, and I could swear I've seen that date get bumped at least once.

Old 04-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
those are esitmated dates, not actual delivery dates. Many MC owners are pre ordering, so they are guaranteed a set when they becoem available.

Alex
>>>>Just thought everyone would like to see how easy it can be to do your own brake pads. The following link shows "EBC Green Stuff" pads being installed on a Cooper S, although the same procedure will work for nearly any other pad. I will put up a similar one for the back pads when they finally get off the production line. Enjoy!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>http://outmotoring.com/How_to_Brakepadsft.html
>>
>>How accurate is the expected 5/1 date for the rear pads? Also, as I'm sure you're going to get a BIG hit when they do come in, do you expect to get decent quantities, or are they going to sell out right away. I've been holding off ordering until I could get both, and I could swear I've seen that date get bumped at least once.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:47 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
I've talked with Joeseph at EBC twice in the last two weeks and he still feels that they will be arrive from England near the end of next week (end of April) and I guess there is some assembly and/or packaging required?? before shipping them out. I know everyone has been waiting for the rears for a long time, so I'm sure the first shipment will go FAST.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:52 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not as good as Randy, but useful nonetheless. Thanks for the How-to!