Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Today's little project

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 08:56 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today's little project

Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 PM
TSR53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schweet! Curious, did you ever consider the ATE HPBKMA kit against the Brembo kit or what are the differences other than price?

I've got a set of Porsche 993 twin turbo big reds with 314mm euro S8 rotors on the front of my Audi S6 :-) Big brakes are a must in my book.

From what I've seen, I really like the looks of the ATE kit. I've downloaded the full monty of PDFs from ATE.de and studied all the photos, just can't find anyone stateside that has them. It appears that they are around 2350 euros?

Here is a photo of a JCooper Works Mini Challenge Club Sport front.

...and the specs from the 2005 Mini Challenge PDF which puts them around the same size as what you've got and the ATEs. Good stuff.

"4.8 Bremsen
Zweikreis-Bremssystem mit ABS, siehe MINI CHALLENGE Serviceleitfaden und/oder MINI CHALLENGE Ersatzteilkatalog.
Bremsscheiben innenbelüftet vorne: 330 x 26 mm
Teile-Nr. Rechts: 3411 0 393 840
Teile-Nr. Links: 3411 0 393 841"

Mini Challenge page I'm making. If I'm wrong on any spec, please correct me.
http://www.tsrennsport.com/weblog/?page_id=3

Last edited by TSR53; 04-05-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: edit links
Old 02-04-2006, 09:19 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
I considered just about everything out there for the Mini before going with the Brembos. I was very fortunate to get a really good deal on these.

FWIW Klaus-Peter, who builds the Mini-Clubsport cars in Germany, rates the Brembo Gran Turismo kit over the ATE kit as tested on the Nurburgring Nordschleife as well as other places. BTW, he sells both

http://www.autohausschaefer.de/mini-clubsport/

BTW, here are some of my Mini Challenge pics from ther Nurburgring - http://www.imagestation.com/album/si...d%3D2126156273

Old 02-04-2006, 09:23 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
w00t!! I love my brembo gt's but right now im looking at $750 for replacement rotors and pads :O

ACS330ci what suspension do you have? I wanna tuck my front wheels a lil bit like yours.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:24 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Old 02-04-2006, 09:26 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFIT
w00t!! I love my brembo gt's but right now im looking at $750 for replacement rotors and pads :O

ACS330ci what suspension do you have? I wanna tuck my front wheels a lil bit like yours.
KW V2's

Old 02-04-2006, 09:28 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
are they as low as they can go?

Old 02-04-2006, 09:33 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFIT
are they as low as they can go?
Not even close

Old 02-04-2006, 09:35 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
Not even close
you should lower it all the way and take some pics

I would be really interested in seeing that, cuz i wanna go low

Old 02-04-2006, 09:42 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Man, I love the look of big brake kits on cars. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to rationalize the cost yet. It's only a matter of time... Have any of the BBKs been shown to reduce braking distances or do they only reduce fade? And if they do reduce distance, what are we talking about? 60 to 0 in sub-125ft? sub-150ft?

Old 02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
My car stops real quick. Dunno how specs, but real quick, and little fade at laguna

Old 02-04-2006, 10:08 PM
TSR53
5th Gear

BTW, here are some of my Mini Challenge pics from ther Nurburgring - http://www.imagestation.com/album/si...d%3D2126156273
Very nice photos! I absolutely love these cars, thanks for taking the photos in the rain. Klaus-Peter Becker builds all of cars for the Mini Challenge Series races in Europe/Germany? His roll cages look different than the cages in the photos I've found. I thought that BMW AG or JCWorks built these cars in-house??? I don't know anything yet! Also, the J Cooper Works UK Series S cars look like they run on the 16" R90s (opposed to the 17" BBS R90s) and are a little different (yes RHD) with regards to the cages, etc. from the Germany spec ones.

I'd love to be able to use some of your Nurburgring photos on my informational Mini Challenge Club Sport page and can give you a link and plug. Please advise, Thanks.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:16 PM
TSR53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Man, I love the look of big brake kits on cars. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to rationalize the cost yet. It's only a matter of time... Have any of the BBKs been shown to reduce braking distances or do they only reduce fade? And if they do reduce distance, what are we talking about? 60 to 0 in sub-125ft? sub-150ft?
Fortunately, the look comes with the functionality. I don't know how many times my Porsche 993 big reds have saved my family just in normal everyday driving. MoF, just tonight I was driving home from our friends house up in Stowe, Vermont and it was pouring rain (yes rain - not snow) and the good old S6 mit big reds had to be used again. Bingo saved again. I only have the *smaller* 314mm one piece Audi S8 rotors and can go with two piece 328mm or so rotors with the same calipers. My S6 is a 3600lb quattro tank as opposed to a nimble light 2680lb MINI Cooper S. I'm sure that any larger brake on the MINI will be fantastic. Out on the track big brakes are even that much better, less distance, better pedal feel and less fade.

If you plan to go out on the track, big brakes and suspension are the first two items in my book to get updated before you start in on engine mods.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:41 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThompsonR53
Very nice photos! I absolutely love these cars, thanks for taking the photos in the rain. Klaus-Peter Becker builds all of cars for the Mini Challenge Series races in Europe/Germany? His roll cages look different than the cages in the photos I've found. I thought that BMW AG or JCWorks built these cars in-house??? I don't know anything yet! Also, the J Cooper Works UK Series S cars look like they run on the 16" R90s (opposed to the 17" BBS R90s) and are a little different (yes RHD) with regards to the cages, etc. from the Germany spec ones.

I'd love to be able to use some of your Nurburgring photos on my informational Mini Challenge Club Sport page and can give you a link and plug. Please advise, Thanks.
Klaus-Peter builds his own racers and calls them MINI-Clubsports. They're different from the JCW cars.

Feel free to use any of my images as long as you give me the credit for taking them

Old 02-05-2006, 01:24 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Steve....That is funny as ***** that in Photo #19 the VW Touareg is towing the Lupo. Maybe, I should take my Touareg and tow the Mini around Phoenix for "effect". That's probably closer than I'm going to get to racing, Also, that Red Alfa is the bomb-b. And have you found Peter's contact info for me? I want that damn hood soooooo baaaad! Is that a normal bumper and skirts, though? I called Germany a little while ago and this automated chick gets on the phone and starts speaking Kraut to me and I freak out and start pushing buttons and finally hung up. Needless to say, that I haven't talked to anyone yet

Old 02-05-2006, 01:25 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Oh yeah......That setup looks sweeeet. I'm jealous. I think I might have to pimp my wife out on Van Buren to try and keep up.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Hey Steve....That is funny as ***** that in Photo #19 the VW Touareg is towing the Lupo. Maybe, I should take my Touareg and tow the Mini around Phoenix for "effect". That's probably closer than I'm going to get to racing, Also, that Red Alfa is the bomb-b. And have you found Peter's contact info for me? I want that damn hood soooooo baaaad! Is that a normal bumper and skirts, though? I called Germany a little while ago and this automated chick gets on the phone and starts speaking Kraut to me and I freak out and start pushing buttons and finally hung up. Needless to say, that I haven't talked to anyone yet
http://www.autohausschaefer.de/mini-clubsport/
info@mini-clubsport.com

Old 02-05-2006, 04:09 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThompsonR53
Also, the J Cooper Works UK Series S cars look like they run on the 16" R90s (opposed to the 17" BBS R90s) and are a little different (yes RHD) with regards to the cages, etc. from the Germany spec ones.
Are you sure R90s are made by BBS? Have you actually seen the BBS logo cast into the inside of the wheel? If it's not there, it's not BBS. I asked BBS here in Germany and they didn't have any information as to which MINI wheels were actually BBS products. The R99 of course is, as I have them and they're clearly cast with the BBS logo on the inside of one of the spokes as well as "Made in Germany." I also don't think of these wheels as true aftermarket BBS-spec, although I'd like to. Somehow I can't help but think they're a slightly lower grade than what BBS would put they're lable on for the world to see. Good for OEM though.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:30 AM
TSR53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Stevie B
Are you sure R90s are made by BBS? Have you actually seen the BBS logo cast into the inside of the wheel? If it's not there, it's not BBS. I asked BBS here in Germany and they didn't have any information as to which MINI wheels were actually BBS products. The R99 of course is, as I have them and they're clearly cast with the BBS logo on the inside of one of the spokes as well as "Made in Germany." I also don't think of these wheels as true aftermarket BBS-spec, although I'd like to. Somehow I can't help but think they're a slightly lower grade than what BBS would put they're lable on for the world to see. Good for OEM though.
I don't have my MINI Cooper S yet, should arrive March sometime. I'd like to find out also because I ordered the R90's from my dealer and the info I found on BBS's site stating they are sponsors of the MINI Challenge race series makes me want to confirm. My hunches are that the R90s are indeed made by BBS, and are the strongest rims available that can be purchased through MINI. Why else would they use them for all the Club Sport race cars and the Italian Job cars with all that thrashing they get? It could be a sponsorship marketing effort as well.

I have read here on NAM that the titanium bolt heads on the R90s have a very small "BBS" on each one. So, I called my MA and had him take a digital photo of the one R90 hanging on the wall at the dealer. The photo came out blurred and does have the logotype on it. It is a little blurry, you can still make out the logotype. My MA will reshoot this next week.

Anyway, he says' that they do indeed have the BBS logo on each titanium bolt. He didn't take the rim off the wall and look on the inside. At the least, the titanium bolts are made by BBS. When I take delivery, I'll shoot up the rims with my Fuji FinePix S5000 with macro lens before they mount them to my MINI for the drive home.

Last edited by TSR53; 04-05-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: edit links
Old 02-05-2006, 09:24 AM
deemotored
4th Gear
Oh yeah......That setup looks sweeeet. I'm jealous. I think I might have to pimp my wife out on Van Buren to try and keep up.
BAD IDEA!

Old 02-05-2006, 10:22 AM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
... have you found Peter's contact info for me? I want that damn hood soooooo baaaad! Is that a normal bumper and skirts, though?
It's around here somewhere ... LOL

No, the kit is completely different. If you look at my pics closely you can see little differences like the rear bulge on the sideskirt is bigger than the OEM piece.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:26 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
ACS330CI- nice~!! your car's ready to kick some butt at the track.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:12 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Thanks for the link. But Steve already pointed me in that direction. The e-mail link that is provided is no longer valid. It has been disabled for quite awhile I believe. Hence, my call to Germany. And since I only know how to say the dirty words in German, the call was no help.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:13 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
It's around here somewhere ... LOL

No, the kit is completely different. If you look at my pics closely you can see little differences like the rear bulge on the sideskirt is bigger than the OEM piece.
Hook a brutha up! It's probably a fortune though. Turbo setup or a bodykit! Probably about the same price!

Old 02-05-2006, 02:23 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
ur on ur way to P I M P status

..:::::.. !! NiCE !! ..::::::..

Quick Reply: Today's little project