Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run-flat screwed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Daniel Castillo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run-flat screwed

I need advice, pronto. I have a mcs'05 Sport package 17" S-lites with run flats(three months old.) Last night I got a screw sideways into my rear left tire. It made a slight hiss noise as soon as it happened, but I continued on, always checking my tire pressure warning light.The pressure has not dropped at all a day later.

Today I call and then visit my mini Dealer (Braman mini Miami)and they say I have to buy a new tire!!! They will not plug it because of mini and Pirelli specifications. This to me is outrageous and hard to believe.

Do I have any choice here? has this happened to any of you? do I have to shell out $260 bucks everytime I get a flat??? If I replace it with a regular tire of similar specs, will I ever have a balanced car? Do I leave the screw and hope for the best?

NOTE: the location of the screw is at the edge of the underside of the tire, completly sideways with the head away from the edge. There appears to be slight bulge where the point of the screw is under the thread. Also some white powder surrounds the head (from inside the tire I guess.

I would appreciate some advice/tips...

sincerely screwed.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:40 AM
namwob
5th Gear
If its not in the sidewall plug or patch it. Patch preferably. If you replace it use the same runflat. Never mix & match tires, ever ever ever.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:17 PM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
I would get a new tire. If the screw is near the sidewall, a new tire is the safer choice. I am sure you can find the tire at a cheaper price than the dealer quote.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
See the link for dunlop's comments on repair, and the pic for an idea of where a repairable puncture would be. Nobody will patch a hole near the sidewall.

http://www.dunloptire.com/care/repair.html
You've got a few options, depending on your tolerances.
- The runflats are ridiculously expensive, but you could buy one. I wouldn't mix tires - especially runflats and 'regular' tires. Unpredictable handling could lead to a REALLY expensive problem.
- Buy a set of takeoffs ($400-600) and just replace the whole damn thing when you get a flat. If you get two flats or more, you break even.
- Try to find one used tire. Probably not a good option for you if you have to get a tire soon.

Attached Thumbnails Run-flat screwed-tire_repair.gif  
Old 10-08-2005, 05:17 PM
azuul
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ravenfish
I would get a new tire. If the screw is near the sidewall, a new tire is the safer choice. I am sure you can find the tire at a cheaper price than the dealer quote.
I agree. They can't plug the tire with the hole in the sidewall. And don't feel too bad, we had to do that at 2000 miles, that is buy a new tire.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:05 PM
xianqi
2nd Gear
A lot of tire shops are rather hesitant to patch run flats. I think in general you want to match tires as much as possible for the mini especially, since different rotational speeds will influence the stability control feature of the mini. As well as give you false flat tire warnings.

I am planning on replacing my run flats with conventional high preformance tires. There is the everpresent risk of flat tires, which i'm hoping to mitigate with fix-a-flat and an automotive air compresser, with my AAA membership as a backup.

Of course most dealers can't get past the notion that you might possibly want to not use run flats on a car without a spare.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:35 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Well, I bought extra insurance for $199.00 for wheels and tires at the time of purchase, replaced the front right twice, no money out of pocket, that is kind of crazy isn't it? Sometimes you gotta listen to that dealer and see what finance products they offer. You can still buy that. The good thing is, even if you replace the tire, they cover the replacement, for 5 years starting as of date of purchase.

Sorry for your inconvenience, and I think $260.00 is too expensive, they run around $200.00-$220.00, here. but for your safety, replace the tire.

thought of switching to regular rubber?

Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Tirerack sells the Pirelli euforia@ for $175.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
I have had 2 of my Run Flat tires patched. Both were straight in punctures though. I'm wondering if yours being sideways might have cut across too much of the belt and that is why they are reluctant even if it is in the tread.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:40 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
I got 2 nails at two different times. First one I patched. Second one I just left that nail in there and its still there today, 6 months later.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:47 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
throw in some fix a flat and call it a day, wont hurt anything.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Huge Fun
1st Gear
I had the same situation a while back. Sidewall puncture, unrepairable, $260 quote. Did some quick math (duh), replaced the runflats with Pirelli P Zero Nero all-season radials for $560 total, and have never looked back. Better roadfeel, etc. Wasn't willing to wait for the second, unrepairable runflat, which I considered inevitable with all the construction around here in Northern Virginia.