Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Have Big Brakes- Need installer or advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 PM
red rage
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have Big Brakes- Need installer or advice

Hi,

I purchased a Wilwood Front Big Brake Kit with SS lines and I am NOT a mechanic by any stretch. I have no helpers...

I will likely have it installed at a tire/brake shop locally ?

Should I look for a specialty mechanic or just anyone who works on brakes?

How long will that take, install, bleed, fit, etc... ?

Wish me luck

Phil

Old 02-20-2005, 08:25 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Any competent mechanic can do it. I'm not sure if just any shop would want to do it though? liability issues or whatnot.

If it takes more than an hour something's wrong.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:33 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Thanks Jeff, I will call around

Old 02-22-2005, 03:07 PM
red rage
4th Gear
NOT GOOD NEWS ...

One place said 6 hours labor, never done em, BMW-MINI says "never done them", won't do them

A place that does do them, says it will take a "couple days"

DOESN'T ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INSTALL THESE THINGS IN A TIMELY FASHION?!!

Old 02-22-2005, 03:16 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Want to drive up to Philly? Helix13 can do the install pretty quickly.
Give Eric a call (1-877-HELIX13) and ask him for an estimate. Get other upgrades while you are there.

If you want to stay local then call around for a brake and alignment specialty shop. Figure about 4+ hours or so for people that know what they are doing.

The brakes are easy to install but the lines take a bit longer to remove and install and flush and fill new brake fluid. You might want to upgrade brake fluid at this time to ATE super blue or similar which has a higher wet and dry boiling point than stock fluid.

I had my brakes upgraded at a local Goodyear store but I think they took me on because they wanted to check out the MINI. I don't think they really want to encourage all sorts of upgrades due to problems with parts fitting and customers being happy.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:30 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by red rage
Thanks Jeff, I will call around
I would be surprised if there was not a "tuner" shop in town for other cars like Miata, VW, Honda etc. I would think they might be interested in cultivating some Mini customers.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:48 PM
red rage
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I would be surprised if there was not a "tuner" shop in town for other cars like Miata, VW, Honda etc. I would think they might be interested in cultivating some Mini customers.
I would think so too, BUT i have only seen 1 MINI with big brakes in town, and this guy is a Cardiac Surgeon (Cardio-thoracic) and takes his to a place that does Ferrari, Lambos, etc ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 02-22-2005, 04:02 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, if you're in Cincy, you're welcome to come to an install day with my hubby's Subaru friends. They have done lots of work on Subie's and our EVO and they do very good work. They would be happy to install them for you for a pizza or two :smile:

Otherwise, you may look at Bear or Performance Alignment as they may do brake installs, but not sure. If you have the choice between the two, those we know have had good service from Performance

Old 02-22-2005, 04:28 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The install time on that kit should be about 3hrs for the 'untrained' professional following the simple instructions. The factory WW kits take less time as they are comprised of less parts...

Dealers, tire stores, alignment shops.....all charge a fortune and half don't understand what you bring them.

My suggestion is to find the local NASA or SCCA reps and ask who does sedan race prep in your area. Miata, rally, any sedan stuff and give them a call. I even have a rep in the LA area who's done a couple of different kits for me over the years as we both do Open Wheel prep in our shops. He calls this work "drop dead simple ***** to make a few bucks for the wife" stuff. Does them in a couple of hours, beds pad properly, tests it, and owners meet new friends. All for maybe $125 cash.

** put out the 911 on the NASA forum in your area for some assistance. Will advise.

Bottom line is that items like this and other work are usually best taken to some place other than the local bubba wrench jockey. Any race shop can find their way through these projects with one eye closed.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
OHIO contact

Email me and I'll pass along the name of a shop for you.

Thanks NASA members!

Old 02-22-2005, 06:27 PM
red rage
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
Hey, if you're in Cincy, you're welcome to come to an install day with my hubby's Subaru friends. They have done lots of work on Subie's and our EVO and they do very good work. They would be happy to install them for you for a pizza or two :smile:

Otherwise, you may look at Bear or Performance Alignment as they may do brake installs, but not sure. If you have the choice between the two, those we know have had good service from Performance
Thanks, Let me know who to contact here in Cincy, Subie workers/installers

Also, Perf Alignment said "leave it with us, it may take 2-3 days to complete"

That sounds very $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 02-23-2005, 06:26 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Update:

Todd, TCE, hooked me up with a place in Columbus, but still is 1hour and 45 minutes away, not open on Saturdays either.

Thanks Todd for your continued help, advice and service- Truely appreciated

I DID find a place locally (Cincinnati) that seems a valid and capable shop and can tune and test my UNICHIP on their dyno, I can kill 2 birds with one stone !!!!!
http://www.germanmotorcars.com/company.htm

Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I was unable to get to a computer all day. Glad to hear you found a place to get dyno'd. For the future, if you need somethin installed, PM me and I'm sure the guys would like to do some more work on a MINI