Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Bigger Wheels/Tires Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 02:56 PM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bigger Wheels/Tires Fitment

I'm looking to increase my tire size a bit out of what seems to be the norm here. When I looked at the tire options for the common increase, my options were pretty limited as it looks to be a track/autox oriented size; I'm thinking that was 235/45-17. To increase my options with tires, what I'd like to do is go with 245/40-17 on 17x8 with a +35 offset. As far as inner measurements go, I used a calculator that confirmed I wouldn't have any loss of mechanical range (no touching moving parts) with the +35 offset. I used https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and https://www.tire-size-calculator.info/ to confirm everything should work in that regard.
The problem I foresee is how much I'll have to cut to make the tires fit on the outer parts of the wheel-well. I expect to have to cut back a bit of the lip on all four wells, and I'll likely have to modify the plastic bezel to make everything look right. I'm essentially at stock height (Koni something or another that I'm not fond of) but plan to go with Megan Euro II which I think will be -1" at the highest setting.
The main reasons I want this setup are the availability of tire options, more sidewall for shitty roads here, and increased width to give myself a bit of extra bite on the road. Has anyone here had any experience with this wheel/tire combo that might be able to shed some light on problems I'll encounter?

Old 01-22-2021, 03:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I like this calculator better, as it allows you to enter your clearance measurements to compare:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I think that’s a really wide tire size just because crappy roads. I would just go with a 17x7 or 7-1/2 with a 215/45-17 tire. That size will not require vehicle modifications, and there is still a large number of options available in that size.

I am also on Megan Racing Euro 2s, and at the highest setting (without additional spring preload) my ride heights were:
front - 12.75”
rear - 13”
I have since lowered the rear to 12.5” to get rid of some reverse rake and make the Clubman look more level.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:12 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm running a 17x7.5 et40 wheel with a 225/45R17 tire. Granted I'm lowered, and the tires I have do run a bit wide, but it's basically the widest/largest tire I can run without major interference in the wheelwell or on the shock.

I know a few people with 17x9 wheels and a 235/45 tire that had to cut their fenders and install aftermarket flares. Same for 17x8 wheels with a 245/40 tire.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:59 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
@njaremka I appreciate the advice, but I'm currently running 215/45R17 and I think the wheels are 17x7 (they're R112 wheels) and I'm not a fan of that size; I want a tire that fits the well better while still being a functional improvement. I'm not new to modifying my vehicle, but this specific mod will be a new experience for me. Ideally, if I have to, I'd like to just recreate the plastic fender flares with fiberglass to make them look "stock" and also fit the new wheel size. I'll do some measuring tonight and plug in the values from the website you linked and confirm my differences. I'm pretty sure I used that site originally and that's how I confirmed the mechanical clearances should be fine as long as I go with the aforementioned sizes/offsets.
Regarding the spring preload on your Euro 2s, to go with anything higher you'd have to get different springs, right? I'm fine with the stock height and I think an inch (or close to it) lower wouldn't be too big of a deal in terms of practicality, but that's going to be a different story with the larger tires. I just looked up my shocks and they're Koni FSDs; I remember the guy that sold the car to me said they're essentially stock ride height, but like I said, I'll do some measuring tonight if I can and see what my current clearances are. The FSDs are supposed to be more stable in turns while staying soft for crap roads, but they're not good in either regard. I very much miss the incredibly stiff suspension in my old Del Sol (the wife does NOT miss it ) so I'm definitely looking forward to having something that feels a bit stiffer.
@thebombardier I was actually looking at 17x9 but after seeing the inner clearance issues, I've decided to stay slightly smaller lol. From what I could tell from the calls linked above, I think the suspension clearance should still be good, it's mainly a matter of how much of a flare I'll have to account for. From what I've seen in the availability of aftermarket flares, they're all expensive and look like actual trash. Are there any good flares that you're aware of that look good or are the good ones mostly custom jobs?

Old 01-22-2021, 11:55 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by cloverasx
@njaremka I appreciate the advice, but I'm currently running 215/45R17 and I think the wheels are 17x7 (they're R112 wheels) and I'm not a fan of that size; I want a tire that fits the well better while still being a functional improvement. I'm not new to modifying my vehicle, but this specific mod will be a new experience for me. Ideally, if I have to, I'd like to just recreate the plastic fender flares with fiberglass to make them look "stock" and also fit the new wheel size. I'll do some measuring tonight and plug in the values from the website you linked and confirm my differences. I'm pretty sure I used that site originally and that's how I confirmed the mechanical clearances should be fine as long as I go with the aforementioned sizes/offsets.
Regarding the spring preload on your Euro 2s, to go with anything higher you'd have to get different springs, right? I'm fine with the stock height and I think an inch (or close to it) lower wouldn't be too big of a deal in terms of practicality, but that's going to be a different story with the larger tires. I just looked up my shocks and they're Koni FSDs; I remember the guy that sold the car to me said they're essentially stock ride height, but like I said, I'll do some measuring tonight if I can and see what my current clearances are. The FSDs are supposed to be more stable in turns while staying soft for crap roads, but they're not good in either regard. I very much miss the incredibly stiff suspension in my old Del Sol (the wife does NOT miss it ) so I'm definitely looking forward to having something that feels a bit stiffer.
@thebombardier I was actually looking at 17x9 but after seeing the inner clearance issues, I've decided to stay slightly smaller lol. From what I could tell from the calls linked above, I think the suspension clearance should still be good, it's mainly a matter of how much of a flare I'll have to account for. From what I've seen in the availability of aftermarket flares, they're all expensive and look like actual trash. Are there any good flares that you're aware of that look good or are the good ones mostly custom jobs?
If you're looking for ride quality, have you considered a 16x8 wheel with a 225/50 or a 225/45 tire? That would give you more sidewall for compliance...

I think the biggest set-back from going higher ride height on the Megan Racing coilovers is the total shock travel. Total stroke from fully extended to fully compressed is only about 4-inches. With no spring preload, I'm sitting right about the middle of the shaft stroke, which I consider to be ideal. They also ride kind of stiff, since the psring rates are more than double the OEM rates. If I wanted to keep stock ride height and improve ride quality, I'd be looking at keeping stock springs and adding Bilstein B6s, then add front control arm and rear trailing arm poly bushings. (the inserts for the rear trailing arms)

Old 01-22-2021, 12:18 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cloverasx;4571117
[utag=158231
thebombardier[/utag] I was actually looking at 17x9 but after seeing the inner clearance issues, I've decided to stay slightly smaller lol. From what I could tell from the calls linked above, I think the suspension clearance should still be good, it's mainly a matter of how much of a flare I'll have to account for. From what I've seen in the availability of aftermarket flares, they're all expensive and look like actual trash. Are there any good flares that you're aware of that look good or are the good ones mostly custom jobs?
Only ones I like are the RSi C6 flares. Not too much wider than stock, and they aren't super aggressive. Compliment the stock body lines well. The guy I mentioned earlier who had the 17x8 wheels with a 245/40 tire had them.

The guys with the 17x9 wheels had the Aesthetic/Yatt flares which are very aggressive. It's a look but not my cup of tea.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:36 PM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Sorry for dropping the thread a bit, life got a little busy. Still is, but I'm trying to get some stuff sorted out for my car now. Brakes and a fuel filter are next on my list, but tires and wheels will be following shortly after.
@njaremka , I'm not necessarily trying to improve ride quality per se, I would like to prevent any pothole damage from driving in town. I honestly like the stiff aggressive ride from correctly set shocks, so the transition won't be hard for me. . . I'll just have to pay closer attention to our crappy street repair and adjust preload when it's on the road after I get the coilovers. I really don't want to step down in rim size mainly because if I ever (doubtful) decide to spend the money on a big brake kit, I'll need the clearance. I have some poly bushings, but mostly I'm just replacing them as they start to wear. I really need to do a full overhaul with a full poly bushing kit.
@thebombardier I agree about the RSi flares, but they're too expensive for me to justify for just flares. I think it'll be a nice and fun project (read: make me angry that I ever took on such a project) to learn how to custom form fiberglass into flares specifically for my wheel size/shape.
Either way for anything, progress is on hold while I get my **** together. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 07-29-2021, 07:02 PM
R56_saucee
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by njaremka
If you're looking for ride quality, have you considered a 16x8 wheel with a 225/50 or a 225/45 tire? That would give you more sidewall for compliance...

I think the biggest set-back from going higher ride height on the Megan Racing coilovers is the total shock travel. Total stroke from fully extended to fully compressed is only about 4-inches. With no spring preload, I'm sitting right about the middle of the shaft stroke, which I consider to be ideal. They also ride kind of stiff, since the psring rates are more than double the OEM rates. If I wanted to keep stock ride height and improve ride quality, I'd be looking at keeping stock springs and adding Bilstein B6s, then add front control arm and rear trailing arm poly bushings. (the inserts for the rear trailing arms)
Are you running into any major issues with clearance? Ima probably go just a smidge wider at 16x7 maybe 7.5

Old 07-30-2021, 04:01 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by R56_saucee
Are you running into any major issues with clearance? Ima probably go just a smidge wider at 16x7 maybe 7.5
I’m running 17x7 (+40 offset for winter, and +38 offset for summer) wheels with 215/45-17 tires and have not had any clearance issues

Old 02-11-2022, 12:12 AM
donalexinder24
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi
According to the calls listed above, I believe the suspension clearance will still be adequate; the only question is how much flare I'll have to account for. According to what I've seen of the aftermarket flares that are available, they're all costly and look like garbage. Do you know of any good flares that look well, or are the excellent ones typically bespoke jobs?villa for sale in turkey

Last edited by donalexinder24; 02-13-2022 at 07:52 AM.