Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TPMS options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
TPMS options?

Just want to get updated with this.... Among the many Mini parts suppliers, these sensors for my 2013 JCW can be found for around $100.00 each. Most replacement sensors for American cars can be purchased in the range of $20-40.00 each. Are the Mini sensors that different to warrant 2-5 times the cost of the American car sensors, especially when all these TPMS are manufactured by only a limited number of companies? I found a set of HUF RDEO12V21, 433MHz, IntelliSens, preprogrammed, OE sensors for $55.00 ea, shipped. The ad states that these TPMS are OE sensors for my car. Has anyone else used these? And, do they work properly once installed? If not, are there any other options for TPMS rather than the units for $100.00 each? Thanks

Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Check tirerack.com for some price comparisons.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Well....the "Sticky" from TireRack, dated 11/08/06, about TPMS states, "All BMW valve sensors are currently being produced by BERU and are sold by us in two parts: the sensor component and the metal valve." is out of date.

The less expensive TPMS I located is manufactured by HUF. After reading Minnie.the.Moocher's post I Googled BERU to discover that BERU was the tire pressure monitoring system sector of Borg Warner bought out by HUF in early 2012.

I realize now that I was looking at the exact same TPMS priced at $51.00ea w/free shipping, on TireRack.com and $100.00ea on other vendors websites. Way to go TireRack! Hum.....I wonder if I can get this kind of deal on the NM Engineering wheel and tire pkg I'm thinking about buying? Hint...hint.

I'm glad I asked...and glad Minnie.the.Moocher responded. Thank you!

Rich

Old 06-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
dunno how much you've 'searched' here on NAM for threads on this

but I can think of two discussions in the last few months started by folks who bought TPMS sensors "at good price" and "guaranteed to work" and came here looking for relief when they didn't ....

for example, the frequency used by MINI in the sensors has changed several times so if your seller is not asking details about when built I'd get suspicious.

I recommend looking up the listing for TPMS sensors at OUTMOTORING and reading their notes if nothing else ....

https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...nitor_set.html

"Please note, as of the Sept 2009 build date MINI has a different frequency for the TPMS sensors. Please note the option on the drop down menu for build date and slight price change for the newer TPMS kit. Also, the Gen3 MINI ("F" series models) use a different kit as well. Please select accordingly."

Last edited by Capt_bj; 06-06-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:42 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
For those looking for TPMS replacements, if you have a Costco in your area you can call and ask what their price is for your model. They will do the install and reset.

If you go to some shops they may charge for the reset or relearning for TPMS sensors.

So consider the total cost, parts, labor and reset.

Some shops don't handle or aren't familiar with all brands of TPMS and some can reset only certain brands. Also if you buy your own parts and it fails the shop won't warranty the part.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:35 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
dunno how much you've 'searched' here on NAM for threads on this

but I can think of two discussions in the last few months started by folks who bought TPMS sensors "at good price" and "guaranteed to work" and came here looking for relief when they didn't ....

for example, the frequency used by MINI in the sensors has changed several times so if your seller is not asking details about when built I'd get suspicious.

I recommend looking up the listing for TPMS sensors at OUTMOTORING and reading their notes if nothing else ....

https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...nitor_set.html

"Please note, as of the Sept 2009 build date MINI has a different frequency for the TPMS sensors. Please note the option on the drop down menu for build date and slight price change for the newer TPMS kit. Also, the Gen3 MINI ("F" series models) use a different kit as well. Please select accordingly."
I have been comparing apples to apples using a known OEM, TPMS part number, made by one company. The only difference being the vendors selling these parts. With respect to these sellers (all reputable within the Mini community) I have found this TPMS varying in price up to $53.00ea. Each seller states that their TPMS is a direct replacement relative to my application (13 JCW) and I have no reason to doubt this. The lowest price units were found at TireRack.com. and are highly rated by buyers.

Amazon is impersonal Amazon. I believe you can get great products at great prices thru Amazon, and I also believe that if you are not knowledgeable about what you are wanting to purchase you can wind up with a product that will not perform and disappoint. Know what you are buying before you shop Amazon.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:48 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
The ones I got from Tire rack with my new wheels and tires were much less than $100 each (installed) and work fine.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:26 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I did my research and ended up buying OEM units from Amazon for my ‘15 MCS. Cost ~$50 each.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:44 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
got mine from here and was cheaper than $100 each
http://www.tpmsdirect.com/

vetsvette: $50 each is best price ive heard of!

Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I did my research and ended up buying OEM units from Amazon for my ‘15 MCS. Cost ~$50 each.
That's similar to the price from TireRack, too at $51ea

EDIT: this is the price for the newer ones. The older ones (I forget when the change was, something like 2010?) are a bit more at $71ea

Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KCLARK
got mine from here and was cheaper than $100 each
http://www.tpmsdirect.com/

vetsvette: $50 each is best price ive heard of!
Yes.....after seeing what is being presented here, and the bit of rummaging around thru various websites I did...I'll agree that $50.00 ea seems to be the lowest retail price for these TPMS sensors...and they are the same as factory OE! Thanks!