Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

uneven tire ware

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM
mhopper49
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uneven tire ware

Ok so I am getting some pretty bad uneven ware on my tires. I lowered my mini about a year ago. Do I need camber plates and if I do where's a good place to find them? Please help!!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
Front tires, rear tires or both?
It might be worthwhile having the alignment checked before throwing parts at it. If you lowered your car less than an inch, then you probably don't need camber plates.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
Lowering, to any degree, will change alignment. The lower, the more change. Camber and toe are affected, both at the front and rear. Usually, rear adjustable lower control arms are required in the back and, as mrbean states, you may or may not need camber plates in the front. (Most consider it a great excuse to get 'em!) If you've got severe tire wear, your car is probably handling poorly. Correct alignment will transform it.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM
mhopper49
2nd Gear
I had it aligned a few months ago and the print out they gave me was was not even close to the specs that people on here gave me. I found some for 200. I am just wanting to save my tires they are expensive!!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Hate to say it...
Nothing is as expensive as doing something cheaply.....
Sounds like you used just lowering springs?
You got an alignment.....was it in spec? Many folks run custom alignment specs cause the car is tracked or has suspension mods... camber plates, etc.....the results of the alignment will tell you if you need to buy more parts to get it back in spec.....
How are the tires wearing? Inner edge? Feathering? Different uneven wear is from different causes....

Last edited by ZippyNH; 07-27-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:10 AM
mhopper49
2nd Gear
I just have coilovers and no from the specs I got from people on there it wasn't close. They are wearing on the inside of the tire

Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mhopper49
They are wearing on the inside of the tire
Sounds like too much negative camber.

Post the before/after specs from your alignment print out -someone who knows more than I will probably better be able to help with that info.

Also, is the inside edge wearing on front tires, rear or both?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 AM
mhopper49
2nd Gear
I'm prerty sire just the front I rotated my tires a while back that's when I first noticed it but the front is definitely worse than the back

Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by mhopper49
I just have coilovers and no from the specs I got from people on there it wasn't close. They are wearing on the inside of the tire
Sorry to hear about your tire wear.

These would be helpful.
Is the wear on front tires only, rear tires only, or both?
Is the wear on both right and left tires of the same axle?
Can you post pictures of the wear?
Can you write down the alignment results you were given- front toe and camber, rear toe and camber is all that is needed?

Alignment that is nearly in spec will not be a problem but clearly way out of spec can lead to more tire wear. When they did the alignment did they tell you why it was out of spec? likely due to your coilovers and how much drop you had. If camber was more negative than stock it would not be correctible without front adjustable camber plates which was what your original question was. If front camber is excessive like -2+ degrees then yes you can wear inner edges of both front tires.

In the rear tire inner edges are wearing, then you need lower adjustable control arms to reduce the camber to about -1.2 to -1.5 degrees.

If your suspension is slammed then negative camber front and rear may be needed to get a flush look but too negative will wear inner edges of tires. The remedy would be to raise ride height just a little using the coilover spring perches and reduce the negative camber using camber plates and control arms.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 AM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
Also make sure you don't have excessive inward toe, that will create uneven wear. Combined with lots of negative camber, the inside of the tires will wear out faster than the rest

Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
If you rub your hand on the tire, do you feel any uneven rubber? highs and lows. If so, your toe is off. Camber plates are nice to have but not necessary. Camber causes more wear on inside of the tire and that is normal. If you are not running pass -2.5 camber, you shouldn't have severe camber wear. I would get your car realigned again and make sure your toe is close to zero or 1/16th in/out(this is for the track, helps turn in). Unfortunately, lowering your car will always give you more negative camber.