Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

ABS delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS delete

I would like to disable my ABS. I undid the sensor under the windshield on the passenger side for a day but that left me with various warning lights and no speedo so that killed that idea.

Is there a easy fuse to just unplug? or better yet a way to hook it up to a toggle switch and put it in the toggle panel?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 PM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
I don't see a fuse for ABS. I think that it is integrated with DSC. In the bentley manual, it says there is a control module in the engine bay, I think its the sliver thing where the brake vacuum booster tube goes to. Under the ECU. If you want to disable the DSC, there are 4 fuses that are labeled as DSC

Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why disable it?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You're probably going to get check engine lights no matter what you do. The car checks the ABS system during start up and any faults will trigger a CEL. Most of the rally-x guys (not in minis but still applicable) just pull the fuses.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sctony
I don't know why you want to disable the ABS system usually car checks every system on start up like ABS system and other fuse and sensors.
This is my first sports car with ABS and I feel like it gets in the way. I had it disabled and could stop faster (on dry black top) and during hard left foot brake turn ins the ABS is way to sensitive. And in those left foot brake turn ins it won't give the inside front wheel enough brake pressure witch leads to understeer when in the same turn same conditions I can get the rear end to rotate.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:12 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by esfreerider
This is my first sports car with ABS and I feel like it gets in the way. I had it disabled and could stop faster (on dry black top) and during hard left foot brake turn ins the ABS is way to sensitive. And in those left foot brake turn ins it won't give the inside front wheel enough brake pressure witch leads to understeer when in the same turn same conditions I can get the rear end to rotate.
Without the ABS you're going to get a lot of the car to rotate!!!!!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINILLA
Without the ABS you're going to get a lot of the car to rotate!!!!!
Yes. I have had it disabled and have found that under the conditions I described that I can get a small amount of oversteer. Hard left foot braking can cause overseer when done right but with ABS it becomes much harder as you get uneven braking up front which in turn acts like a turning brake pulling the in the opposite direction of the intended turn with a net result of understeer.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Without ABS I'm not locking up the brakes btw

Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
ABS can probably be disabled through NCS Expert programming. Sensitivity might even be adjustable in the software. I doubt that you can simply disable it by disconnecting some connector, because the same sensors are used for multiple functions.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:00 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
ABS can probably be disabled through NCS Expert programming. Sensitivity might even be adjustable in the software. I doubt that you can simply disable it by disconnecting some connector, because the same sensors are used for multiple functions.
Thank you. The way I had it disabled left me without a Speedo, odometer stopped working as well as dcs, cruse control and various check engine lights.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:01 PM
esfreerider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
A reduction in sensitivity may even be preferable to me. I didn't know that was possible.