Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tires for 2007 JCW MCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 PM
georgemp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for 2007 JCW MCS

Hi,
Seems like the governments have given up on repairing the roads and potholes/ditches are now the norm
I'm looking to improve the ride comfort on my commute and figured I'd start with replacing my runflats with non-runflats. With the runflats, the ride is extremely harsh and from what I read on the forums, non run-flats help. I currently have a set of Continental tires (not sure what kind) that are 205/45 R17. I'm not sure how the numbers affect ride comfort, but does going upto 215/45 R17 increase/decrease it? From what I gather
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nza+G+019+Grid
seem to be good tires
These http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....port+Signature are rated a bit higher on tire racks charts.
Also, when I go through tirerack for finding tires for my car, it asks me if I have metal valve stems or rubber? Do my options really differ based on this?
Any other options I should look at, short of regular visits to a chiropractor?

Thanks
George

Edit:
I should probably also mention that I drive in New Jersey which gets a bit of snow during winter. I generally don't drive in heavy snow, but would need to in light snow/ice/slush and in the wet. The current runflats are terrible in the wet.

Last edited by georgemp; 03-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
HIBSFAN
1st Gear
George -

I have a 2007 MCS, and have just replaced my runflats (33,000 miles). Like you, I was looking for an improvement in ride, but also with good performance (dry and wet) and decent mileage. On the advice of my tire guy, I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. They're expensive, but so far I'm extremely happy. Much better ride, quiet, decent performance. Obviously not racing tires, but a very good all-round street tire.

Hope this helps,
Martin

Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
215/45-17 will increase comfort.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 AM
georgemp
1st Gear
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I found the Michelin's to be a bit on the expensive side. After reviewing older threads, I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS (got them for $145 installed at Tire Barn here in NJ). Since, there is a fair bit of life left in my rear run flats, I only replaced the front two tires. Since, the front tires take more wear, I figured when it's time to rotate, I'd replace the rear ones as well and put them in front.
The guys at Tire Barn mentioned that using Slime to fix a flat could damage the tire pressure sensors. Anybody have any experience of using it or the Conti Kit on the mini? I figure I'd get the Conti Kit and use it only if AAA was unavailable to give me a tow?

Thanks
George

Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 AM
kemo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The guys at Tire Barn mentioned that using Slime to fix a flat could damage the tire pressure sensors. Anybody have any experience of using it or the Conti Kit on the mini? I figure I'd get the Conti Kit and use it only if AAA was unavailable to give me a tow?

There is no sensor in the tire, it operates through the ABS.............or are the 07's different than my 05?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
07 have a TPMS sensor in the tire (valve).

I just changed back to my summer tire which is a 215/45 17 from a 205/45 17 RFT OEM. I like it a lot better in terms of response and comfort.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kemo
There is no sensor in the tire, it operates through the ABS.............or are the 07's different than my 05?
Originally Posted by slinger688
07 have a TPMS sensor in the tire (valve).

I just changed back to my summer tire which is a 215/45 17 from a 205/45 17 RFT OEM. I like it a lot better in terms of response and comfort.
MINI's delivered before Sept 1, 2007 have the older rotation-based FTM (flat tire monitor) system. They have rubber tire valve stems, and no sensors in the wheels. My 2007 MCS was built in April 2007, and does not have sensors. The OBC keeps track of the rpm of each wheel. If one wheel changes radically compared to the others, it sounds the alert.

Cars delivered after Sept 1, 2007 are required by law to have sensors in the wheels. They can be identified by the metal valve stems. Congress enacted this requirement to protect stupid SUV drivers who didn't keep their tires properly inflated. Ford SUVs with factory supplied Firestone tires were rolling over and killing people when the tires had catastrophic failure.

I have the Continental Tire ContiComfortKit that TireRack sells. I've not had to use the sealant, but the pump works. Takes a longtime to inflate a tire, but it works.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
georgemp
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find anything definite in my owner's manual as to whether it had a sensor or not. But, it did say that it would not be able to detect the loss over time in tire pressure in all 4 tires. Plus, I have black rubber valves and not metal ones. Looking at the carfax, the MCS seems to have arrived in June '07 at Newark. So, I think my MCS does not have sensors and detects pressure via ABS.
I just placed an order for the ContiComfortKit as well. Anybody know if there are any ill effects to using it on tires without sensors?

Thanks
George

Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by georgemp
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find anything definite in my owner's manual as to whether it had a sensor or not. But, it did say that it would not be able to detect the loss over time in tire pressure in all 4 tires. Plus, I have black rubber valves and not metal ones. Looking at the carfax, the MCS seems to have arrived in June '07 at Newark. So, I think my MCS does not have sensors and detects pressure via ABS.
I just placed an order for the ContiComfortKit as well. Anybody know if there are any ill effects to using it on tires without sensors?

Thanks
George
Just an irritating light on the speedo and the need to check it often (like you did before tpms).

Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by georgemp
Yup, definitely does not have sensors. A tire will have to have lost something like 30% pressure before it gives you a warning (the TPMS sensors aren't much better). It basically tells you that a tire is flat. Doesn't tell you that you need to add 2 lbs. to a tire. So, for tire life and safety, check pressure manually from time to time.

Shouldn't be a problem. If you have to use it, tell the tire shop that you did and ask them to remove the tire and wash it out before patching.