Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TCE Caliper kits.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 AM
discodan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCE Caliper kits.

Just wondering if anybody is using these and what they think of them if they are running them. Are they good for daily-driver use? Here's the LINK scroll down the page first kit, called Front Kit

Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
discodan
5th Gear
nobody? Todd?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I know of three of them that have been shipped out over the past six months or so. One of them US, the other two overseas. In fact, the last one was modified (finally) for the latest 300+mm JCW rotor package (about 12.5" I think) and I'd like to see it in place myself for a file pic.

What were your plans?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 PM
discodan
5th Gear
for looks mostly. but car is driven and i know that some calipers on these "race kits" are more suited for track days and not so much for 4 seasons/daily driving. just want to know where this kit would stack up. would like to have a little better performance, and may try to do some autocross next season, or just try a trak day with a friend and his PCA chapter. but car needs to be able to drive everyday. my car is an '03 MCS BTW, is it compatible?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Good enough.

The caliper kit was conceived as a complimenting caliper package for stock and "ebay" rotor buyers as well as a lower cost alternative to the conventional BBK. After some review I opted to make this fit only the R53 JCW rotors or the new R56 JCW size rotor. The reason is simple; making the caliper fit the spindle on the smallest rotor (oem r53) is just too much work to grind the iron ears and make fit. Also...with a large number of discarded JCW rotors either from older R53 or now standard R56 cars laying around I envisioned this more of a 'poor mans brake kit' but certainly not without merit. Buy a caliper kit, shop some zoomy rotors...presto; very nice looking package for a modest price.

And did I mention it all fits the stock wheels. Without spacers. Meaning if you want the look of the BBK for less money and without the need for all new wheels and tires or spacers and studs....this is the answer. *moving to larger rotors also could be an issue on some.

Furthermore, the DP6 could later be fit to one of my (now available) 13" kits also. So if one were to later want to buy some larger rotors, hats, and new brackets, the crossover is quite simple.

The DP6 when fit with normal street pads will have no problem what so ever working as a daily use application. There are optional track day pads and I'd certainly suggest this as well as non drilled rotors if one partakes. In fact while this is a fantastic caliper I would not catagorize it as a race kit in any way. For the more hard core use there are preferred alternatives in both calipers, pads and rotors.

Is it compatable? Without the fit of the JCW (old or new) rotors no. With them yes. Note as above the slightly larger rotor will push the caliper our at a higher radius.

Last edited by toddtce; 11-21-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: smallest rotor is oem r53
Old 11-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Blu_Pug
1st Gear
Hi. I have an '05 Cooper S with the stock front brakes, but picked up a set of new OEM R56 front rotors and calipers at a very good price with the idea of performing a budget JCW upgrade. Those R56 calipers are real boat anchors, though, so the idea of mating the R56 rotors with your Wilwood caliper kit is very intriguing. The question I have is in regard to how the 'radial' wheel spacing with the Wilwood caliper kit compares to the spacing with the R56 OEM calipers? Probably no chance of working with Holies, but a little better clearance with the Wilwood kit would mean I could keep my R84's, which would be nice.

Also - what is the stock finish on the calipers if you don't go with the extra cost powder coating? Just bare aluminum?

Thx!

Alan

Old 11-20-2008, 11:15 PM
discodan
5th Gear
Perfect answer Todd, thank you! i was hoping you were gonna say that it would fit with stock wheels. but probably not with my 15" holies right?

BTW...my Holies with 3k miles on the Pirelli snows that are mounted for sale soon. anyone got 16" x-lites with snows for sale?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
From the fit work I did on a couple wheels last year at AMVIV I found that the caliper will take up no more space than the oem caliper does. Although it is taller it wraps around the rotor as it grows. Meaning what fits now will be no different (in fact a bit lower profile to the spoke) than the stock caliper. I believe with that in mind we are also talking fit inside a 15" wheel.

The kicker however is that on a 15 if you are moving from the smaller rotor to the larger (or even larger) JCW parts you'd have to factor that into your fit also. Meaning if an oem caliper and 270mm disc fits that is no guarantee of the Wilwood caliper and a 295mm disc. And certainly not a 320mm disc. (numbers off my head) The final brackets are for ONLY the two "JCW" size rotors- not the smallest and older oem rotor.

The standard finish here is BLACK powder coat.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Blu_Pug
1st Gear
With the grinding of the spindle ears required to fit the DP6 caliper, is it correct to assume this is a non-reversible installation? I.e., can't go back to the stock setup if you sell the car, for example.

Looking over the descriptions of the various Wilwood calipers on your web site, it appears that the DP6 caliper is quite a bit more expensive than the DynaPro caliper used for the Plus 1 and Plus 2 kits. Is the DP6 caliper spec'd over the DynaPro due to fitment issues? For a "budget" kit it seems like using the DynaPro caliper would provide an even better entry price - if it worked.

Thx.

Alan

Old 11-22-2008, 07:48 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
1. No, not at all. The issue is the OD or mass of the casting nub of the spindle interferes with the bosses or nubs of the caliper. It was more of a mess on the smaller oem R53 part so I opted out of that one. On the larger rotor it's not really that big of a deal and is quite obvious where the clearance is needed. (on the late JCW 320?mm part there's little or no need for this and on my 13" kit either) This is also the same on the lug mount FSL caliper on the 13" kits. In both cases any and all oem parts can be easily and without change be refit with full integrity.

2. The difference is the mount design. The DP6 despit the name DynaPro (which is being used on other models also) is lug mount and is a direct fit to all DyaLite caliper kits now and in the past. In fact it could be fit to one or more of another suppliers kit where 5.25 mount centers are common despite the "other name" on the caliper. The more traditional DynaPro you've come to know and love however is a radial mount part thus the need for FAR more costly brackets to fit them despite a slight reduction in the cost of the caliper itself. While it 'could' be done you'd find this design to be cost prohibitive real fast.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Blu_Pug
1st Gear
Todd,

Your responses are much appreciated!

A couple more questions, if I may:

Is the DP6 pad a common size supported by other brake pad manufacturers?

What is the DP6 pad thickness?

Could the DP caliper be used since it also uses 5.25" mount centers?

Based on the photos, the DP6 caliiper looks like it would use a much large pad than the DP caliper. Is that why the DP pad is so much cheaper, in general?

Thx again for humoring me. I really am liking what I'm seeing with this kit.

Alan

Old 11-23-2008, 05:33 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry if this is a small Hi-jack but..

Todd, on your rear kit that relocates the OEM calipers, is there any problem with the parking brake dragging with the larger rotors?

Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
No problem.

The DP6 is currently a new Wilwood plate and I doubt you'll find a lot of other support until it becomes more popular. However there are really ample choices in compounds for it from them for about any use.

It is .490 thick as are the older DynaLite parts.

No, the DP caliper is radial mount and unless you had a radial conversion mount bracket made that went from 5.25 to studs it won't work. If you mean DL caliper then yes that could work but then you'd pretty much have what another supplier has of sorts currently with both a smaller caliper body, smaller pad and non differential bore design.

Yes it's a bit larger pad although thinner as the DP is .620" thick whereas the 6 is thinner and wider (taller) cubic inches still probably favor the 6 a bit. Cost is based in part on supply and demand too I'm certain. The DP pads have dropped in price the last price change by about 20% so I'd expect this to do the same at some point (?).

Here it is on an RSX of 12.2", keep in mind on the new R56 JCW rotor- that one is a tad larger at 12.5" also.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:47 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by minimarks
Sorry if this is a small Hi-jack but..

Todd, on your rear kit that relocates the OEM calipers, is there any problem with the parking brake dragging with the larger rotors?

The caliper cable is very tight when the rear wheel is at full droop. I do suggest and state that the cable be removed from its clips in the tunnel area for a bit more length. The cable assembly will be tight but the inner cable itself pulls in reverse against the jacket of the cable so while the whole thing is taught the inner cable is really not pulling on anything. Once on the ground however there does not appear to be any excessive tension.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!

Was talking to the guy's at Carbotech and they told me they had pads for all the Wilwood calipers.....

Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
discodan
5th Gear
So Todd,

i'd just have to buy some R53 JCW replacement brake rotors? and you think it should fit under my 15" MINI Cooper standard issue "Holies"? if so you may have a sale! i just wanna be sure because i don't have the storage for another set of wheels.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Blu_Pug
1st Gear
Todd - Regarding my above question about fitment of alternative calipers to the DP6, I was referring to the model named "DynaPro" on your web site, described as the replacement for the former billet Dynalite and a direct fit for all 5.25" mount former DL applications.

What would be the disadvantage of a smaller caliper body and smaller pad - aren't the calipers and pads of the Plus 1 and Plus 2 kits smaller also?

What is a differential bore caliper and what are it's advantages?

Discodan - I've been mulling the same question about Holie fitment, but it seems that Todd's caliper kit would have to be quite a bit lower profile to clear the Holie rim since the R53 JCW kit isn't even rated to fit my 16" R84 wheels.

Thx again.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:53 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by discodan
So Todd,

i'd just have to buy some R53 JCW replacement brake rotors? and you think it should fit under my 15" MINI Cooper standard issue "Holies"? if so you may have a sale! i just wanna be sure because i don't have the storage for another set of wheels.
IF the standard caliper set up on JCW rotors will fit inside a 15" wheel then I strongly believe this will also seeing that the caliper body is about equal to the oem in overhang size.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Blu_Pug
Todd - Regarding my above question about fitment of alternative calipers to the DP6, I was referring to the model named "DynaPro" on your web site, described as the replacement for the former billet Dynalite and a direct fit for all 5.25" mount former DL applications.

What would be the disadvantage of a smaller caliper body and smaller pad - aren't the calipers and pads of the Plus 1 and Plus 2 kits smaller also?

What is a differential bore caliper and what are it's advantages?
I made the edit correction; the caliper in question is the DnaPro Lug Mount which like the DP6 is a direct replacement for the old Billet DynaLite and also the Forged Billet DynaLits shown below it on that page. Any and all 5.25" mounts. Yes those too would or could be fit to the same brackets as the DP6 set up. The pads would be smaller yet than the DP6 too. But in all cases the body width will be greater and cause spoke clearance problems.

The only problem with a smaller pad is life of the pad. The Plus 1 and 2 Wilwood factory DynaLite Radial calipers have pads about the same size as the lug mount DP but are roughly 20% thicker. The net cubic inches as I was guessing above on a DP radial is about the same as the DP6 one being thinner and taller, the other thicker and shorter.

Any differential bore design is intended to balance out pressure points on the pad plate and counter act natural pad taper wear. Hence the smaller pistons on the leading edge and larger at the trialing edge for increase pressure.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Blu_Pug
1st Gear
And the blind man said: "I see!" ;-)

Thx again.

Alan

Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Blu_Pug
And the blind man said: "I see!" ;-)

...to the blind man listening to the radio.