Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension BC coilovers installed (how-to & feedback)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fair enough. Btw, I did forget to ask - what does preload do and why would I want to play with it?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preload allows for softer or stiffer springs, but at the cost of suspension travel. More preload provides a stiffer spring (more compressed spring), but less shock travel in the shock body, basically the throw of the rod is closer to the bottom of the end of the shock. Less preload provides softer springs (less compressed spring), with more shock travel in the shock body, as the throw of the rod is farther away from the bottom of the shock.

This video on BC Racing website, shows how to adjust preload and says the 4mm of preload is good for a track or street car.
http://vimeo.com/28427984

However, I hear that 5mm of preload is stock for BC Racing BR Type COs. I also hear that this should be as-is when you are shipped your COs, and that there's no need to adjust them. Then again, I hear that some people need to adjust them as they were not set at 5mm of preload. I adjusted mine to 4mm, then when I read that factory setting is 5mm, I re-adjusted to 5mm, because I removed my COs so that I could re-adjust ride height.

When I get the import shop to re-adjust my ride height and preload, I am going to tell them that I would like preload at 4mm according to the video.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Gotcha - thanks. So basically reducing preload would somewhat offset the general stiffness of the COs? This particular car will almost never go to the track anymore, so I don't really need a massively stiff ride, so I suspect I should look into reducing preload?... wonder how much of a difference it will make.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
As for a 1mm difference, this will not really make a difference. Something also to keep in mind, if the preload is not the same at all four corners, but your ride height is according to the counting of threads which is a ridiculous way to measure or using a digital caliper or a measuring tape, your car will sit at different heights. By compressing the spring or decompressing the spring, this will in fact affect ride height even if the ride height according to the CO is the same.

I learned this the hard way, that's why I had to re-adjust preload, because ride height was correct, but preload was not so my right side was higher then my left side.

If you are thinking about adjusting preload, I suggest finding a friend or someone else that has BC COs and seeing what they have their preload set, before messing with it by yourself, unless your are getting a shop to take care of it.

I don't track my car, but I think I will go with 4mm. My ride is rougher than stock, but maintaining that line as your turn on the twisties going 60 in a 40 and go even faster on turns and not worry about the wheel lifting off the asphalt is worth it to me.

As for the dampers, I have the front set at 16 from the soft setting and 12 in the rear from the soft setting.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Preload lets you fine tune the spring rate / weight to the actual application.
And to fine tune its intended usage.
It is actually a fairly long and involved topic as ALL suspension is a compromise.
But to show you 1 instance. if you carried lots of weight in the boot ... you could balance that a bit by increasing the preload.
Our race cars are corner balanced and if one corner weighs heavy the preload can be increased to move weight to other corners.

I promise without very delicate equipment you would not feel the difference between 4 and 5 mm.
They say the BCs are pre set and I have been told aprox 5mm .
However the many units that I have sold they never seem to be set the same. I sell them and install them.
With my pre install check you will know that the preload is correct AND that the lock nuts are tight. (You will not ever need to adjust that again in most circumstances)
I can do the check and preload adjust in 10 min for all 4 .

This from my race motorcycle set up tutorial ... but the concept is the same.
By adjusting the preload, we adjust the “sag” of the bike on its front and rear suspension components. Sag is the distance the bike settles on its suspension when subjected to load. The term “free sag” is used to express the compression of the suspension under the weight of the bike alone. Free sag assists in preventing your suspension from topping out as the fork unloads toward full extension. Without it, the suspension would have insufficient upward travel with which to work. “Static sag” is used to express compression from full extension when the rider is on board. Sometimes this is also referred to as “race sag”. Do not read too much into the word “race”. Race sag does not strictly mean the correct sag for racing purposes. Rather, the terms “race” or “static” sag refer to the suspension travel achieved when the motorcycle is laden with rider(s), riding apparel, and any luggage and/or gear. Let me mention at this point that, depending on the source, these terms are not absolute and are sometimes interchanged. The term used is not as important as the concept.

@jbourne. I do understand not wanting to drill holes for the rear and some balance can be obtained from adjusting the fronts.
However to fully maximise the potential the rear adjusters make a big difference. Also they can be adjusted by jacking up the care and removing the 2 top bolts ... then move by braile .
If I was to set up a non adjusted rear I would not go a hard as you have chosen as HARD increases compression and slows rebound. I would suggest 5 to 8 from soft.

Last edited by COR BLMY; 09-17-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212

I don't track my car, but I think I will go with 4mm. My ride is rougher than stock, but maintaining that line as your turn on the twisties going 60 in a 40 and go even faster on turns and not worry about the wheel lifting off the asphalt is worth it to me.

As for the dampers, I have the front set at 16 from the soft setting and 12 in the rear from the soft setting.
I have exactly the same setting for the dampers, so that's good to hear I think my preload might be fine, so I think I won't mess with it. I'll measure my ride height once I do an alignment and get my summer wheels back on and go from there, I think. I know it's a lost cause to reduce stiffness with COs, but always worth a shot exploring. Anyway - I'm coming from Eibachs and stock shocks, which was bounce country - so anything is better. (and the stock ride on MCSs is actually surprisingly rough for the comparatively little handling that it provides).

Originally Posted by COR BLMY
@jbourne. I do understand not wanting to drill holes for the rear and some balance can be obtained from adjusting the fronts.
However to fully maximise the potential the rear adjusters make a big difference. Also they can be adjusted by jacking up the care and removing the 2 top bolts ... then move by braile .
If I was to set up a non adjusted rear I would not go a hard as you have chosen as HARD increases compression and slows rebound. I would suggest 5 to 8 from soft.
Interesting. I heard that going to 5-8 causes bounciness (with Swift springs), so I was a bit scared to go that soft, as that's the first thing I was trying to run away from. As for adjusting - I'm assuming I would have to jack up the car as high as my jack will go, undo the bolts, adjust the softness, then lower the car on a wood block and put the bolts back? Or is there an easier way?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
The lowest I went in the rear was 10 and it felt pretty bouncy. 12 feels pretty good, except for going over tall but in length wise short bumps in the road. When the setup is like this it feels like the rear is pulling underneath from me. Then again I would rather have this, then be bouncing around like a bunny.

Regardless, for good measure I will adjust the rear to 8 and see how it feels, then update you guys.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
Has anyone tried swapping out the springs for softer ones? I think from the factory we get 8kg/6kg. I wasthinking of getting swift springs in 6kg/4kg for better comfort. My BCs are dialed in at full soft at themoment.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Well - so much for that. Ran on mine for all of three weeks before my dampening adjuster broke (tried to rotate it for the first time since the wife was complaining it was too stiff, it got stuck, and now it freely spins). BC says its "user error"... :P the previous owner of these c/o's broke the left front adjuster in exactly the same way, and now the right front went. I'm not so sure about this "user error" excuse. They want $125 to ship a new shock body. And the coilovers have barely 3,000 miles on them.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jbourne
Well - so much for that. Ran on mine for all of three weeks before my dampening adjuster broke (tried to rotate it for the first time since the wife was complaining it was too stiff, it got stuck, and now it freely spins). BC says its "user error"... :P the previous owner of these c/o's broke the left front adjuster in exactly the same way, and now the right front went. I'm not so sure about this "user error" excuse. They want $125 to ship a new shock body. And the coilovers have barely 3,000 miles on them.
That is why I went with KW's V3, more adjustability and Lifetime warranty. They also ride soo much better then the BC's. I broke the Rear adjusters on mine and the top shaft snapped in half.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mini_macky
Has anyone tried swapping out the springs for softer ones? I think from the factory we get 8kg/6kg. I wasthinking of getting swift springs in 6kg/4kg for better comfort. My BCs are dialed in at full soft at themoment.
During the design phase we were going with a 5kg front and 6kg rear.. but the front being so limited in shock travel just bottomed out like crazy, so we had to bump it all the way up to an 8kg. After that it had that stiffer front-bias which really wasn't all that great for handling, the only way to level that out was to go with an 8kg all around which is what the prototypes ended up with during track testing... when it was all said and done though, "comfort" took over and it was decided to go with an 8kg/6kg.

The downfall has always been the threaded-body shock... the front knuckle of the MINI is too narrow and considering BC uses the same shock just in a variety of sizes and valving, they didn't want to make a shock specifically for that application, so the shock body was limited by the fact that it cannot actually go into the knuckle itself, where other shocks and OE shocks could utilize that extra few inches for internal travel allowing for more shock travel overall.

So.. 6kg if you want, but you're going to bottom out like crazy... $.02

Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
The lowest I went in the rear was 10 and it felt pretty bouncy. 12 feels pretty good, except for going over tall but in length wise short bumps in the road. When the setup is like this it feels like the rear is pulling underneath from me. Then again I would rather have this, then be bouncing around like a bunny.

Regardless, for good measure I will adjust the rear to 8 and see how it feels, then update you guys.
I readjusted and now I am running 8 in the front and 5 in the rear and it feels great. I also don't have the feeling that the rear is pulling out from under me. Thought it was bouncy, but running on 12 in the rear for 2 weeks was becoming uncomfortable and my *** and lower back was aching.

So 8 in the front and 5 in the rear feels pretty darn good.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
@ "speed..." Glad you are trying settings closer to my recommendation, and that they are working.

I have tested different springs .
I found that anything lighter was just too soft. Even for street only use.
On our race cars we run 8 front and rear. (the 8 front is not a " bee hive " just straight . not had any binding)

I have installed and sold lots of these (many also for other vehicles) I have only once had an adjuster issue. and that was on a MINI that the fellow who installed used the extender but only drilled a 1" hole. (rear installation nor followed correctly)
The arc movement was greater that that would allow and the cable kinked and broke.
I would be interested to see the break point. If you screw counterclockwise . then past the indent you just start unscrewing the adjuster shaft, clockwise it locks the threads ... you would need to really force it to then break / damage .

Last edited by COR BLMY; 10-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
@ "speed..." Glad you are trying settings closer to my recommendation, and that they are working.

On our race cars we run 8 front and rear. (the 8 front is not a " bee hive " just straight . not had any binding)

I have installed and sold lots of these (many also for other vehicles) I have only once had an adjuster issue. and that was on a MINI that the fellow who installed used the extender but only drilled a 1" hole. (rear installation nor followed correctly)
The arc movement was greater that that would allow and the cable kinked and broke.
I guess I have a bum set, then, as the front left went some time ago and now the front right.

Sigh.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear

I would be interested to see the break point. If you screw counterclockwise . then past the indent you just start unscrewing the adjuster shaft, clockwise it locks the threads ... you would need to really force it to then break / damage .
Just figured that I would let you know that I did not install the extenders as I am lazy and did not feel like centering up and drilling a hole in the interior side panel... however, when I have adjusted the rear all I was thinking, wish I installed the extenders. In the long run it's no big deal. Right rear, you just have to remove the little door; left rear you have to remove the plastic clips and bend down the paneling. If I did install the extenders I could have not drilled a hole and just bent them to the doors, but then felt the bend would not provide me with the correct adjusting. Overall, I am NOW satisfied with the setting and it only took a month.

Last edited by SpeedRacer0212; 10-20-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
I have done multiple installs and just used a band to hold the extenders behind the cubbie doors. they can stand a fair bend . just make a note as to what the setting is so that you dont have to min or max each time you adjust.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 AM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There was no problem bending the extenders and having them inside the cubbie hatches. I use to adjust them all the time when at the track...

It really was no big deal...

Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by S-Driver
There was no problem bending the extenders and having them inside the cubbie hatches. I use to adjust them all the time when at the track...

It really was no big deal...
Well, I am going lower than I am now on Monday and a shop is adjusting preload and ride height as I did not want to mess with it again. They only quoted me for adjustment and alignment. They are a really busy Soobie, Evo, and Mazda shop, as I scheduled this 5 weeks out, so I doubt they will have time to remove the rear and add the damper switches, so next time I will have them add the extenders. But as I have said before (and got from Cor) 8 in the front and 5 in the rear feels real nice and really comfortable. I might take the front to 7 or 6, but I am happy with the rear at 5.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
I asked this in a Megan thread. Now I'm asking you guys, because I think BC will be a better choice for me.

So, here's where I'm at: I have an '05 S with about 82,000 miles on it. I've noticed that the ride is getting pretty harsh, so I know my struts are shot. There's no wallowing, but the ride has gotten worse over the miles. I'm now hearing a loud squeaking sound out of the right strut tower when I go around corners. I looked at the top mounts and both are broken in the front. If I put my hand on the body where the struts are bolted to and someone turns the wheel, I can feel the vibration from the squeaking. I figure, I might as well spend a little extra and get Megans or BCs, as apposed to replacing all 4 struts and top mounts. I have always wanted to do that anyway. I have some questions:

1. If I'm only going to lower 1" and I want to be conservative on the camber, it's my daily driver, can I wait and get adjustable rear arms in the future?

2. With the above parameters, will I have to do any trimming to the front mounting holes in order to properly tighten things up?

3. I really want adjustability in the rear. Is drilling for adjustment cables a bad idea in any way? I Also have the OEM amp back there.

3.5 Do the adjustment cables have to stick up through the interior, or can I keep them short and access them through the little doors on each side?

4. Are there any other parts or anything else I need to know. Money is a little tight right now, so I want to do it as cheaply as I can.

5. I'm running 205x55x15s with 40 offset wheels, will I need any spacers in the front wheels?

Thanks for all your help,
Shawn

Name:  d799422b12a5350af65ecd52ec0b6390_zpsfc5b2a0e.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  3.98 MB

Old 03-10-2013, 03:39 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Where can. Get these in So Cal?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
[QUOTE=CynMini;3687443]I asked this in a Megan thread. Now I'm asking you guys, because I think BC will be a better choice for me.

So, here's where I'm at: I have an '05 S with about 82,000 miles on it. I've noticed that the ride is getting pretty harsh, so I know my struts are shot. There's no wallowing, but the ride has gotten worse over the miles. I'm now hearing a loud squeaking sound out of the right strut tower when I go around corners. I looked at the top mounts and both are broken in the front. If I put my hand on the body where the struts are bolted to and someone turns the wheel, I can feel the vibration from the squeaking. I figure, I might as well spend a little extra and get Megans or BCs, as apposed to replacing all 4 struts and top mounts. I have always wanted to do that anyway. I have some questions:

1. If I'm only going to lower 1" and I want to be conservative on the camber, it's my daily driver, can I wait and get adjustable rear arms in the future?
YES

2. With the above parameters, will I have to do any trimming to the front mounting holes in order to properly tighten things up?
I have had luck lately setting using the markers on the camber plates and not needing to adjust after install at all. Some have had luck using "ball alens" or switching to a hex bolt for the camber adjustment.

3. I really want adjustability in the rear. Is drilling for adjustment cables a bad idea in any way? I Also have the OEM amp back there.
Have had zero issues on lots of installs and my own cars and racecars.

3.5 Do the adjustment cables have to stick up through the interior, or can I keep them short and access them through the little doors on each side?
NO ... they can bend and be behind the cubbie doors

4. Are there any other parts or anything else I need to know. Money is a little tight right now, so I want to do it as cheaply as I can.
You should be good ta go .. but budget an alignment

5. I'm running 205x55x15s with 40 offset wheels, will I need any spacers in the front wheels.
I have done that install and NO

Thanks for all your help,
Shawn

Last edited by COR BLMY; 03-25-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Hey Brian,
I did talk to you on the phone. And I will be ordering them soon. I'm trying to line up someone to install them for me. I did have the top mounts replaced, one of them actually let go on the lift. So, now I have a little time to plan things out.
Talk to you soon,
Shawn

Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
CynMini
6th Gear
How does BCs with swift springs 7k in the front and 8k in the rear with OEM bars sound?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Mike r56
1st Gear
Whats the recommend hard/soft setting for everyday driving (hard) ! Ive got BC Coilovers to fit tomorrow F7kg / R5kg

Thanks
Mike

Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM
CynMini
6th Gear
I have had mine on for about three weeks. I have Swift springs 8k in the rear and 7k in the front, with stock sway bars. I run the fronts 5 clicks softer and I get great bite and turn in on the front and the whole car rotates nicely. I can run the rears on full hard and the fronts 5 clicks softer and the ride is only a little harsh on cracks in the road. If I go 5 clicks softer from that, it's not harsh on cracks or anything. If I run it at full soft,the ride is soft, but it's controlled and doesn't wallow.

I am very happy with this setup. And you don't have to tear the interior completely apart to safely drill the rears for adjustment.

Do yourself a big favor: Upgrade to swift springs. My installer talked me into it and I'm very glad he did.

Quick Reply: Suspension BC coilovers installed (how-to & feedback)