Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension What is better for a dropped MCS? FSD's or Bilstein SP's?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 AM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is better for a dropped MCS? FSD's or Bilstein SP's?

First of all, I have an MCS with Eibach Prokit springs and stock dampers. The shocks are busted so it's time to buy a new set....which is a great oppurtunity to upgrade.

I use the car on weekdends on not so smooth / pretty bad raods, so comfort is one of the issues. But it will see a more trackdays now so I would like it to perform better in the track as well. Maybe 6-8 times a year.

By the way, are there different models of the Bilsteins? And are they compatible to an MCS with a build date of 04/02? The one's I found on MiniCarParts say they are only compatible on cars built after 06/02? Is this correct? How about for the FSD's? Are they compatible to all build dates?

Thanks!

John

Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FSDs are not designed for lowered cars.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
FSDs work great if the drop is not too aggressive (less than one inch). FSDs work awesome with H-sport and H&R springs.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
johnD
Hmm...I guess it won't work good with my Eibach's which drop the front 1" and the rear 1.2" Darn.

John

Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
txwerks
Banned
The Bilstein SP's are stiff - stiffer than the SS+ struts by a fair margin. However, those with H&R springs was a rockin' combination - but somewhat of a beating on the street.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Go with the FSD's and a set of TSW springs.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 AM
johnD
Argh!! I was hoping to just change the dampers....now it seems like I have no choice but to change everything....or maybe just suck up the bad ride with the Bilstein SP's!

How harsh are the Bilstein's? I was told they are similar in technology to the FSD's, only stiffer?

John

Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Mini Works
5th Gear
take a look at the Koni Sport Yellow adjustable shocks,

They are designed to work woth lowered suspensions,
come with a lifetime warranty,
and are fully adjustable

victor

Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of thoughs...l

most fixed height dampeners are designed to work with a certain spring. You can make some changes around this, but go to far and you find yourself where you are now.

So you've got a couple of choices.
1) Get a fixed strut that's close enough for you.
2) Get a package of struts and springs and sell off the springs you havfe.
3) Get some adjustable struts and have at it.

FWIW, there are coil-over set ups that show up in the marketplace. That can be a cost saver.....

Matt

Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Mini Works
5th Gear
The Koni Sport suspension kit is also an option,

4 Koni yellow adjustable shocks matched with 4 koni springs,

all that at a fraction of the cost of coil overs

victor

Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by johnD
Argh!! I was hoping to just change the dampers....now it seems like I have no choice but to change everything....or maybe just suck up the bad ride with the Bilstein SP's!

How harsh are the Bilstein's? I was told they are similar in technology to the FSD's, only stiffer?

John
The internals are nothing like FSD's... I just got to see the insides of one the other day...

It's not that they ride "bad", it's that they are just firm...

Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 AM
johnD
Dr O.
When you said adjustable shocks, were you referring to something like the Koni yellow adjustable shocks?

To the rest:
Someone is actually offering me a set of Sachs Suspension Kit. It comes with eibach springs. The price is actually pretty good, the problem is i haven't heard anything about it. How about you guys?

I'm actually leaning more on the Koni adjustables right now, but if I will also be expriencing same problems as I have now, then I might be better off getting a complete set.

John

Old 02-07-2007, 06:55 AM
txwerks
Banned
Sachs makes a lot of OEM shocks/struts and a lot of OE replacement parts... They've been around forever... And, Eibach we all know about. If Sachs did their homework (and they likely did), and matched their valving and chosen Eibach spring rates, I'm certain they are good...

Same goes for the Koni Sport Kit.

But, if you already have the springs, just toss on a set of Koni Yellows (aka Sport shocks). I think you'll like that much better than the Bilstein SP's - and the Yellows are designed for lowering springs (unlike the FSD's, which are only designed for OE ride height and/or slight lowering).

Old 02-11-2007, 12:51 AM
johnD
Thanks for the input.....my options keep changing, currently they are:
1. Koni Yellows
2. Tein Coilovers (they have in stock where I am and have heard great reviews, but the price is a bit ard to swallow. )

John

Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember the marketplace...

there are coil over set ups that go there pretty often. Also, Nuzzo is selling stuff off, you might want to contact him. I watched the marketplace when I found me Ledas, and I got them for $1000 instead of $1900. I had to get some different springs for the front, but that was only $150....

Savings is there to be had. Just have to be patient and look.

Matt

Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Couple of things:

1) The Koni Sports (yellows) are great shocks, but you can't get to the adjuster on the top of the rear shocks without removing them. It's pretty easy to remove them, but not the idea scenario.

2) The Bilsteins are non-adjustable, but.....you can send them to Bilstein and have them re-valved for $65 per shock.

Finally, lowered suspension with the correct shocks. If it was me, I would get the measurements from the bottom shock hole to the top of the body. It would interesting to see if one brand of shock is shorter than the other. A shorter shock will give you more suspension travel before you hit the bump stop. But then, you can always cut down the bump stop and almost accomplish the same thing.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 PM
orthomini
3rd Gear
ride

i have the bilstein sp/h&r spring combo. not anymore harsh a ride than the stock ride in the 03's but with great handling.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM
sportek1
2nd Gear
John
The Bilstein are monotube shocks, whereas the Koni Yellows and the FSD are twintubes.

Bilstein's demping force is higher at low shock travelspeed, so these feel more stiffer.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM
sportek1
2nd Gear
By the way, are there different models of the Bilsteins? And are they compatible to an MCS with a build date of 04/02? The one's I found on MiniCarParts say they are only compatible on cars built after 06/02? Is this correct? How about for the FSD's? Are they compatible to all build dates?
Mini changed the front shocks setup in 02. I do not know the exact date though. Simply said, they modified the front shock+spring setup to cater for more spring and shock travel. Therefore, all the German shock and coilover manufacturers also have changed their parts.

What year is your Mini?

Old 02-18-2007, 07:58 AM
johnD
My MCS is an '02 model. I've decided to get Koni Adjustable shocks! None of my first options! Thanks for the inputs.

John

Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Phantom
4th Gear
Thanks for the input.....my options keep changing, currently they are:
1. Koni Yellows
2. Tein Coilovers (they have in stock where I am and have heard great reviews, but the price is a bit ard to swallow. )

John
I WILL ONLY USE KONI YELLOWS! I have a set on my 93 Rx7 and LOVE THEM!!!!

For my MCS I'm going to be getting Koni Yellows and Dinan springs, and I WILL stand by that choice, Dinan seems to have their act togeather so go by them. Tiens are crap at least I think so dont go with some product Japan for a europen car, go with a race and time proven Konis and a spring of you choice (I reccomend Dinan), thats made to handle, also if not already upgrade your rear sway bar to a 19mm (19mm is my choice dont want to much)

Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Supercharged in Asia
1st Gear
Well, my previous experience with Koni shocks were on my previous rides:a Miata and a Lotus Elise. Great shocks. But had Bilstein on another previous ride too: Porsche 964 too. Fantastic too. There is no question in my mind that Bilstein and Koni make amazing shock absorbers.

Have Bilstein sport with Eibach springs on my MCS currently. When I first put them on, they were harsh and there was a bit of rubbing under compression from potholes. I thought I had made a bad decision. However, after about 1,000 kms or so, the spring rate seems to have raised itself slightly (it rides higher then when first installed) and ride has become fairly supple (not as good as the ride on my mate's MCS JCW with FSDs though). Crucially, I made a nine second lap time improvement at my favourite local track. The only change was the suspension. My ride now corners flat, the suspension has virtually eliminated the strong understeer exhibited by the standard shocks and I get more feedback of road surfacing and conditions on this set up.

I would heartily recommend the Bilstein sports with the Eibach Pro springs. If I could have afforded it, I would have gone to PSS9s perhaps though!

Go for it!