Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Daily Driver Sport Suspension Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Daily Driver Sport Suspension Recommendation

I'm looking for a suspension recommendation...

I have a 2012 R55 Clubman S that was purchased used with the standard suspension and 17"wheels. I recently installed a set of Megan Racing Euro 2 coilovers. While I LOVE the appearance of the lowered stance, and the back roads handling or the stiffer springs, the highway ride is not that great. We recently drove from Hartford, CT to Buffalo, NY and the ride was harsh - wife was not happy. For the most part, the car drove great. However, when driving over uneven bridge transitions, the car slammed around horribly.

Can anyone recommend a sporty suspension set up that will provide a slightly lowered appearance, a decent back roads handling upgrade, and a smooth comfortable highway ride?

Old 07-23-2018, 04:27 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Koni yellows and TSW springs. My daily driver in Michigan and I venture down more back country dirt roads than I ever did in my Jeep.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:52 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I posted in a recent thread something that pertains to this question. It was more or less that if you want your MINI to handle better than forget about taking the significant other out for a Sunday Drive. Unless of course that she likes twisties so she drives and you eat ice cream while riding along.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Nowheat
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcriverjunky
Koni yellows and TSW springs. My daily driver in Michigan and I venture down more back country dirt roads than I ever did in my Jeep.
I just had Koni Yellows installed with stock springs on our 2011Clubman S. The ride is not too bad. How do the TSW springs differ from stock?

Old 07-24-2018, 03:47 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
I posted in a recent thread something that pertains to this question. It was more or less that if you want your MINI to handle better than forget about taking the significant other out for a Sunday Drive. Unless of course that she likes twisties so she drives and you eat ice cream while riding along.
I refuse to accept this compromise

Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Isyvibes
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I went with koni fsd's and jcw springs. Better in the corners then the stock sport suspension and more forgiving on the bumps. They have a new version of fsd's now. http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Produ...pecial-Active/

Old 07-24-2018, 10:29 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Isyvibes
I went with koni fsd's and jcw springs. Better in the corners then the stock sport suspension and more forgiving on the bumps. They have a new version of fsd's now. http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Produ...pecial-Active/
I've seen the new Koni shocks. I have a love-hate relationship with Koni. I used to work under their parent company, and would get discounts on them. However, every vehicle I've had with them installed, the shocks did not last. I know they offer a life-time warranty, but the R&R is not covered and is a hassle to get replacements.

Where can I find R55 JCW springs?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 AM
magik-biped
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
KW V1's are great for the street. I've had a set on my car for nearly a year now and I love them. Stiffness-wise, they honestly feel about as stiff as the stock Cooper S suspension. The biggest difference is the damping on the KWs is way more compliant than stock.

There's a turn I take on the way home every day that has really rough asphalt midway through the turn. On the stock suspension the car felt like it was bouncing across the bumps and not actually gripping the road. With the KWs the car felt totally planted and a lot more confident through the turn.

I've had passengers in the car on long highway drives and they actually commented that they were surprised the car was as comfortable as it was.