Suspension F56 Suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Falcon-Z
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marshun
The springs lowered it about 1.25 inches. I have read a couple people state you cant lower a car on DDC. Not sure if this based on fact or word of mouth. I only have about 1500 miles on the springs, so I guess time will tell.
Are you able to still change the dampening between the driving modes with the aftermarket springs? Or it's mostly static or not very noticeable between modes.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM
marshun
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Falcon-Z
Are you able to still change the dampening between the driving modes with the aftermarket springs? Or it's mostly static or not very noticeable between modes.
Still very noticeable. Very similar to stock.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:21 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Still very noticeable. Very similar to stock.
Wow - very interesting!! I am surprised I haven't been able to find more posts with setups like yours. Make sure to post pics! Want to see how the car sits

Old 06-26-2015, 03:30 PM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F56 Suspension options

I asked Cravenspeed about lower springs with DDC and they weren't sure and I haven't heard back from them. I plan to install the NM sway bar so while I'm doing that it would be great to install springs. I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:06 PM
marshun
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Wow - very interesting!! I am surprised I haven't been able to find more posts with setups like yours. Make sure to post pics! Want to see how the car sits
NM Springs with DDC. Picture is a little dark, hard to see the wheel gap.

Attached Thumbnails F56 Suspension options-img_0374.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 PM
mct
5th Gear
NM Springs with DDC. Picture is a little dark, hard to see the wheel gap.
Very nice! Deep Blue? Also are these the springs?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2015-C...ngs/ES2843608/

Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 PM
marshun
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Very nice! Deep Blue? Also are these the springs?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2015-C...ngs/ES2843608/
Yes, those are the correct springs. I tried the H&R springs first and you felt every little bump in the road. Couldn't handle it on our crappy California streets.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:52 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your going to blow out your ddc and you voided the warranty with the springs, just a FYI.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:31 AM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F56 Suspension options

Originally Posted by jamesdean
Your going to blow out your ddc and you voided the warranty with the springs, just a FYI.
You just saved me $279 and my warranty. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 AM
marshun
1st Gear
Factory struts are never recommended for use with lowering springs regardless of having DDC. They are not designed for the shorter travel. Also, the instruction sheet that comes with the NM springs instruct you to cut the bump stops with will further increase the chances of damaging the struts (including standard struts). I'm sure if you roll into the dealer with a leaking/damaged strut and they see lowering springs, they're going to void your warranty (unless you had the dealer install the springs, which some do).

Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not totally sure of the answer if you can lower a car with DDC, I do know on the BMW side, it is possible to add lowering springs to a car with their adaptive dampers. For what it's worth, this is a pic from NM of them showing their new strut brace for the F models....That rubber boot over the damper...wouldn't that suggest that the car has DDC?

If so, this is the same car, with NM springs...

Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
I'm not totally sure of the answer if you can lower a car with DDC, I do know on the BMW side, it is possible to add lowering springs to a car with their adaptive dampers. For what it's worth, this is a pic from NM of them showing their new strut brace for the F models....That rubber boot over the damper...wouldn't that suggest that the car has DDC?

If so, this is the same car, with NM springs...

You can...you will blow out the ddc...pretty sure sure NM says to disconnect the valve running ddc into a standard strut/shock.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Though I don't have the DDC or sport suspension, I have to say, a few months into my setup (H&R sport springs , rear sway bar) and I love it 33,000 times. It's quite noticeable too, visually. Certainly when parked or sitting in traffic next to a stock suspension F56, but even the stance in photos with the car by itself. We have rough road conditions in the SF area, but I haven't had much issues. I dodge potholes (taco'd wheels in my R53 back in the day and got wise) and it's no issue.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Why would lowering springs lead to blowing out the DDC? He said he ditched the stiff springs and got more normal ones. I don't see how the shorter travel of the dampers would make them leak. He said he still notices a difference in the suspension when he changes the settings. Of course it voids the warranty, any spring change does if the stock dampers go bad. I give him credit for trying it, he might have the best of both worlds, lower car, adjustable suspension and thicker sway bar.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Falcon-Z
1st Gear
Matt @ ECS Tuning just told me the NM springs were good with DDC.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Falcon-Z
Matt @ ECS Tuning just told me the NM springs were good with DDC.
Awesome!! This is encouraging!! Are they planning on updating their website to state that to put our minds at ease? That's great news!!

Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Because when the ddc is activated a large portion of the shock chamber is closed off. Now your compressing it even further by lowering the car.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Because when the ddc is activated a large portion of the shock chamber is closed off. Now your compressing it even further by lowering the car.
This post proves you don't understand how electrically servo'd damper valves work. Stop posting misinformation.

Lowering springs are an unwise decision because they reduce or eliminate [the MINI is the latter] free compression travel, leading to harsh ride quality and skittish behavior hitting bumps mid-corner. Any damper damage comes from hitting enormous speedbumps or curbs that would've likely damaged the suspension with stock springs too. Lowering springs do not operate the dampers outside their original specification unless you modify or remove the bumpstops, moving the possible compression stroke end-point.

Last edited by Ryephile; 07-09-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:27 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
This post proves you don't understand how electrically servo'd damper valves work. Stop posting misinformation.

Lowering springs are an unwise decision because they reduce or eliminate [the MINI is the latter] free compression travel, leading to harsh ride quality and skittish behavior hitting bumps mid-corner. Any damper damage comes from hitting enormous speedbumps or curbs that would've likely damaged the suspension with stock springs too. Lowering springs do not operate the dampers outside their original specification unless you modify or remove the bumpstops, moving the possible compression stroke end-point.
Time will tell.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:20 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone here have the Cravenspeed springs? To me they look a lot lower than H&R and nm engineering springs...? They claim a 1.25" drop in the front and rear but again, it looks like a lot more?

Attached Thumbnails F56 Suspension options-oemsprings__52475.jpg   F56 Suspension options-cravensprings__63907.jpg  
Old 07-13-2015, 06:10 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
NM springs and 22mm sway.

EB f56 is all oem

Sorry to dig this up. James, I love you car. I'm interested in similar wheels and the nm springs. Do you have camber on your wheels here? Do you recommend the nm springs? I'm looking for the ride height and wheel gap you have here. What are the specs on your wheels?

Edit: I found all of the info above in other threads. Never mind lolol! But I have another question for anyone out there. What is the difference between the H&R springs and the NM springs? They are roughly the same price and to me H&R is a bigger name? Idk, someone please help Thanks

Last edited by honderpilot; 07-14-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:47 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by honderpilot
Sorry to dig this up. James, I love you car. I'm interested in similar wheels and the nm springs. Do you have camber on your wheels here? Do you recommend the nm springs? I'm looking for the ride height and wheel gap you have here. What are the specs on your wheels?

Edit: I found all of the info above in other threads. Never mind lolol! But I have another question for anyone out there. What is the difference between the H&R springs and the NM springs? They are roughly the same price and to me H&R is a bigger name? Idk, someone please help Thanks
H/R is a linear spring with a 1" drop, NM is a progressive rate spring with a 1.3" drop...Moral ? H/R ride like **** Had both, used both, NM is the superior product.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
H/R is a linear spring with a 1" drop, NM is a progressive rate spring with a 1.3" drop...Moral ? H/R ride like **** Had both, used both, NM is the superior product.
Again, thank you, James

Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by honderpilot
Again, thank you, James
Yw...BTW hehe

Old 07-16-2015, 06:47 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear