Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension DIY motor mount

Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY motor mount

Has anyone gone down this route with making their own solid(er) motor mount?

http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/tech/SolidMounts1.htm

I've had the BSH installed and it is too much for daily driver (its backing off bolts), but the NM is too little. Since I'm playing Goldielocks here, I want something just right... is filling in the OEM mount with liquid urethane the answer?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
miata_racer
3rd Gear
I wish I could do something like this for the passenger side.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY motor mount

Yes.....I have built my own mount this way. And it is working perfectly. I had the polyurethane inserts but after a couple years it started feeling a little loose and sloppy. So I tried one of the BSH (street) mounts. It buzzed and vibrated like crazy, but i hung in there for over 1000 miles to let it break in. but there was little to no improvement. It would make the dash and door panels buzz even sitting at a stop light. I can't believe they sell this as a street solution. It is a poor street solution and a waste of money. So after some searching I found this method. It has been on cars for over 4 months with no signs of wear yet. It feels firm and is a perfect street solution.

I do feel there is an opportunity for BSH or someone to make a hybrid type mount like this and offer it as a real street solution.

Hoopty

Attached Thumbnails DIY motor mount-mini-mount-2a.jpg   DIY motor mount-mini-mount-1a.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 04:24 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hoopty
So after some searching I found this method. It has been on cars for over 4 months with no signs of wear yet. It feels firm and is a perfect street solution.

Hoopty
Where did you get the tube of urethane at? I picked up one of the new Powerflex Black inserts to see if it is a step up from the NM...if not then I will try the Hoopty method. As of now the BSH mount only goes in right before national level autocross events.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Look for '3M Windo-Weld 08609'. I think I picked it up at Pep Boys, but I also see that it is available at Amazon and Autozone.

A couple 'how to' notes:

Because I was concerned about it being thoroughly cured. I built it up over 4 separate layers, allowing several hours between each layer. When I was finished I could still feel it was squishy inside so I let it cure for a couple days just to be sure it was fully cured before I installed it. Once it is installed it is under a lot of load from engine torque when your driving. Oven curing is another option.

Hoopty

Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Received the Black Series insert today and initial impressions are that its fairly stiffer than the NM insert. I will install this weekend and see how it performs.

I also picked up a tube of the 3M windo-weld that I will use to fuse the OEM unit to the insert should it prove to be a step in the right direction.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil
Received the Black Series insert today and initial impressions are that its fairly stiffer than the NM insert. I will install this weekend and see how it performs.

I also picked up a tube of the 3M windo-weld that I will use to fuse the OEM unit to the insert should it prove to be a step in the right direction.
So I guess you've had it installed for a week now...what do you think so far?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I have yet to find a reasonable alternative to the fragile factory unit. There are some very good quality ones available, but they transmit too much vibration to the cabin IMO.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
I've very happy with the PowerFlex Black. Here's a pic comparing the two:

The Black series is denser and has a few extra tabs that fill in all the slots on the OEM mount. I had to step on it to get everything compressed in.

A little more vibration in the cabin and significant steering and shifting feel. I'd say its 60-75% of the BSH mount now. Only question is if it will soften up over time.

As of now I don't plan on switching back to the BSH until the car moves off DD duty.

Anyone want a slightly used BSH mount? PM me an offer

Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can deal with the NVH of my BSH mount...but I sure hope it doesn't start backing bolts out.....

Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
I've very happy with the PowerFlex Black.

The Black series is denser and has a few extra tabs that fill in all the slots on the OEM mount. I had to step on it to get everything compressed in.

A little more vibration in the cabin and significant steering and shifting feel. I'd say its 60-75% of the BSH mount now. Only question is if it will soften up over time.

As of now I don't plan on switching back to the BSH until the car moves off DD duty.

Anyone want a slightly used BSH mount? PM me an offer

So to sum it up Goldilocks style your experience was:

NM > Too Soft (not enough noticeable difference from stock, but still advantageous)

BSH > Too Harsh (Daily driver nightmare...track only at best)

PowerFlex Black > Just Right (But the jury is still out due to not enough road time)

Did I get that right? How long did you have the NM & BSH versions in before you made your final evaluation? And did either of them 'soften up' over time? Also did you have any issue with NM that they were being squeezed out?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
Did I get that right? How long did you have the NM & BSH versions in before you made your final evaluation? And did either of them 'soften up' over time? Also did you have any issue with NM that they were being squeezed out?
You summed it up pretty good. I had the NM in for 14,000 miles. Initially it performed great missed 3rd gear shift were gone, but it softened up over time and the 3rd gear miss-shifts returned. This could have been due to the squeeze out effect I was seeing. My mount didn't include the little metal tab that some people have installed.

I ran the BSH for nearly 1,000 miles before going back the the NM. The BSH improved only slightly...or my sense of hearing and feel was becoming numbed. It might soften up more with a summer's worth of heat cycling...

Only about 700 miles on the Powerflex BS.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Initially it performed great missed 3rd gear shift were gone, but it softened up over time and the 3rd gear miss-shifts returned. This could have been due to the squeeze out effect I was seeing.
Can you elaborate on the missed 3rd gear shift...was that due to motor 'bounce' and something not engaging?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
When attempting to shift into 3rd with hard acceleration, the engine will lean/shift forward for the brief moment you let off the accelerator. It is really bad if you have to shift during a slight incline transition...
On a FWD, cable actuated transmission you are suddenly trying to hit a moving target with 3 feet of wobbly steel. Grinding and a missed shift are the results. At least for me. Even going to the Craven Speed Short Throw kit didn't completely removing this effect. The BSH mount did...but too high of a price.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
When attempting to shift into 3rd with hard acceleration, the engine will lean/shift forward for the brief moment you let off the accelerator. It is really bad if you have to shift during a slight incline transition...
On a FWD, cable actuated transmission you are suddenly trying to hit a moving target with 3 feet of wobbly steel. Grinding and a missed shift are the results. At least for me. Even going to the Craven Speed Short Throw kit didn't completely removing this effect. The BSH mount did...but too high of a price.
Haven't had that issue yet...knock on wood. Did you do the Craven Speed Short Throw kit install yourself, easy, tricky. I'm gonna change out the shift **** and boot, so thinking about a short throw kit myself.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
I have had the BSH for 12,542 miles as of today, it took 2500 miles before the cabin returned to semi normal but even after 12,542 miles at 3000 rpm it still vibrates a touch but rest of the time is normal. It never truely softened up in my opinion a hard shift now is exactly the same as it was the first drive! However those first 2500 miles were painful at best the first 100 I almost took it off and sent it back! But it has been a great product and I drive my car every day!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
I'm going to reinstall my BSH for a month around the time of the Solo Nationals, so it gets one more shot to soften up in the summer

The Craven SS install was a PITA. Not difficult, just slow since you have to remove the exhaust, shields, covers, interior bits... So much of the assembly is plastic that I took my time as to not break anything.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM
OhBe1
2nd Gear
I semi-DIY'd. I had the NM insert, but found it underwhelming. No vibration, but not much benefit. Almost bought the BSH, but seemed from comments here that it was too much for the street. So instead, I epoxy'd the NM insert in place. Only about 20 miles so far, but shifting is vastly improved. There IS a noticeable increase in vibration, but not bad - perhaps silicone might have been a better filler.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:02 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Update for the BSH mount I'm at 39,672 and the vibrations are still there at 3000rpm but the rest of the time it's normal

Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't waymotor works has a yellow one I think. anybody ever try that one ?