Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension H&R 1.4 inch drop, anything else I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
mini4tide
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H&R 1.4 inch drop, anything else I need?

Just bought a set of H&R springs for an 07 MCS that lowers 1.4 inches. Do I need to do anything else? Can it be realigned without other parts? Can it be done on stock suspension without other parts? New to MCS's and looking for guidance. Thanks so much!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll desperately need shocks. The stock shocks are garbage, probably costing Mini no more than $5 each. Using them with lowering springs rapidly accelerates what little ability to do their job that they have. Buy a properly matched shock and you will also need a proper alignment.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Depends on the alignment specs (Toe and camber) you want. For some flexibility in these specs, you may need rear control arms. Also the stock end links may be a bit too long so you may need adjustable front and rear end links as well.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
You need nothing else. ran H&Rs for about 30K with everything else stock.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
SHOCKS, SHOCKS, and did I mention SHOCKS.

For boulevard cruising to get back to zero front camber, can you slot the front fender to the outside like we do to the inside?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:44 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
You need nothing else. ran H&Rs for about 30K with everything else stock.

Sure you did. Many others, too. And many for much longer than that. But what do you think your shocks were doing? NOTHING. They were shot. You didn't know any better because you (probably) hadn't driven another car where the shocks had been replaced with proper shocks made for lowering springs. The difference would have been night and day.

Please don't hand out bad advice like this.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
old81
M6
@Kevin,

I tend to agree with the comment on getting new shocks to match the lowering springs.

I am on stock shocks with R56 TSW springs, I am thinking after about 20K my shocks are ready to be replaced.

@Kevin or anyone else. What would you recommend for the R56?

Don

Old 09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
bug1515
1st Gear
Had H&Rs on mine for two years. Loved the look, but got sick of the ride comfort real quick. Im now on Eibach multipro coilovers which are soooooooo much more comfortable and handle much better (yes you can have both with the right set up) than the H&R spring set up. The springs will make the car handle better than factory, but make it a bit bouncy and harsh, especially on runflat tires. True, a better shock will help, but you still are reducing overall suspension travel so rough roads and pot holes will make you run on the bump stops, which makes the car and all people inside not so happy. You wont "need" anything else. The car will align fine and will stay within Mini"s camber tolerances. Remember, the rear control arms have a bit of play on them so you don't have to worry too much about tire wear due to camber change. Also, the shocks should last for a while if you are content with them. Like I said, I ran mine for over two years without any issues on the factory shocks. Enjoy the look.....

Old 09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I also moved to the Eibach Multi-pro R1 after over two years of stock sport suspension shocks and springs. Unlike some comments, I found the stock sport suspension (with camber plates and sway bar changes) to be adequate for my track needs (I ran 26 track days on that configuration).

I do not have enough experience with the Eibach to recommend it yet. After a few more days on the track, I should be able to give a review.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
i was just answering his questions....

saying you HAVE to get shocks is obviously still an incorrect statement.

ill continue to give out bad advice

Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I would recommend against lowering the car that much on any fixed perch strut unless your roads are glass smooth.

- andrew

Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
redduc
3rd Gear
I have been reading up on this subject for more than a year now. The H&R drop seems to be the most likely to cause vibrations and will defidently wear the shocks out quickly. If your budget allows, I would get a good set of shocks. The interesting thing about Mini's is they are owned by a very wide range of individuals. Some of us (old guys like me) are more concerned with improving the handling of the car and others (generally younger) want the car to have a better looking stance. I still don't know what direction I will go with my suspension.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:37 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC

Sure you did. Many others, too. And many for much longer than that. But what do you think your shocks were doing? NOTHING. They were shot. You didn't know any better because you (probably) hadn't driven another car where the shocks had been replaced with proper shocks made for lowering springs. The difference would have been night and day.

Not this again..

Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Recommendation : For street use, Bilstein HD's or Koni FSD's. No question.
This is not the race forum, so any comments about suitability for track do not apply.

Do you HAVE to get shocks. No. Do you want the car to work safely, not dangerously bounce over bumps, shake apart, handle well ,or be reasonably comfortable? If no, keep the DELPHI trash. If yes to any of the list, then yes, you need shocks. ALL MCS's need shocks. Simple as that. The OEM ones are unsafe. Just as Bug says, the ride is terrible.

I know of no reasonable explanation that the H6&R spring would "wear out a shock". The OEM shocks are trash and may well wear out quickly, or the driving style of folks with H&R springs may be tough on shocks. If you have another explanation, please offer it up.

On vibration, look at the other threads. The MINI suffers from a serious harmonic induced half-shaft vibration problem if the axles are level. ( yes, exactly with lowered springs). It is not the spring. A spring does not cause vibration. How severe seems to be highly car-to-car dependent. I did not lower my car because of this issue.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC

I think his point was that you can still ride with the stock dampers. Sure they are rough and aren't designed for that ride height, but you can still can drive 'em.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I've had my H&R lowering springs on my R56 for about 35,000 miles now. My front driver-side damper is definitely on it's way out. It's not leaking yet, but I can hear a knocking inside the damper when going over even small little bumps From my old auto experiences dampers should be replaced around every 50,000 miles, but I have no idea what the average life of a un-lowered OEM damper/spring setup is on the R56. Good thing I'm putting on coilovers next Spring!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
i was just answering his questions....
With bad, uninformed information. Is that helpful? Of course not.

saying you HAVE to get shocks is obviously still an incorrect statement.
By what definition? What are you, a politician??

ill continue to give out bad advice
Then all of your "advice" should come with a disclaimer - "I don't know what I'm talking about, so please ignore my "advice".

Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
Do you HAVE to get shocks. No. Do you want the car to work safely, not dangerously bounce over bumps, shake apart, handle well ,or be reasonably comfortable? If no, keep the DELPHI trash. If yes to any of the list, then yes, you need shocks. ALL MCS's need shocks. Simple as that. The OEM ones are unsafe. Just as Bug says, the ride is terrible.
^^^ this!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Car washer - read and heed. The man speaks the truth.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iwashmycar... what happened to your vmaxx from your sig?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:04 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Im on them now. I had the H&Rs before these for a looong time