Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Brembo brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 PM
catnjosh15
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo brake problem

Hey,

I just recently bought a set of slightly used Brembo brakes( big brake kit) for my R53. The brakes work great, but there is one problem. The brakes make a lot of squealing noise at low speeds; when coming to a stop. After digging around, I have found that some say this is normal for performance brakes. Also it is normal that the pads produce a lot of brake dust.

Is this true for performance brakes? Does anyone have some Brembo brakes that have the same issue? Is there anyway to help reduce the squealing?

This is my first set of performance brakes so my knowledge of them is limited. So any help from all my mini gurus out there would be awesome.

Josh

Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think so.

My 2009 JCW came with huge Brembo brakes. I get no squeal at all but I sure do get a lot of brake dust.

I do not think squealing is normal for your pads. Are the pads used? If new I would find out what material they are made from. A hard metal material will always squeal and wear out your rotors pretty fast. A softer performance pad should not make any noise at all. They will produce a lot of dust though.

Good luck on this

Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
catnjosh15
1st Gear
Ronnie948,

The pads are used. Also were used quite a bit on the race track.

Josh

Old 07-11-2010, 04:59 PM
desmo
2nd Gear
Brake Squeal ?

I put about 70,000 miles on my Brembo Gran Tourisimo kit but never had any kind of squeal from them. As far as brake dust is concerned, I don't think they're any worse than ths stock front brakes. My biggest issue is with the cost of replacement parts. (Rotors $500 ea. - brake pads $200 set - hardware kit $85 ea. side) But performance wise they're great, very little brake fade and no other problems at all. Loved them, but I'm going to try a set of wilwood brakes this next time around. Less brake swept area but a whole lot cheaper to rebuild.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your used pads are probably "GLAZED"

Hi Josh,

I think you need to replace the pads due to they are probably what they call "GLAZED" What happens is when they get overheated a few times they get stone hard. There is not much to do except replace them. The new pads should not cost to much. Try one of the Forum venders for pricing as well as your local parts guy. Take one of the old pads with you so you can be certain you get the correct ones.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the pads are track pads not street pads. Pads designed for the track will make noise, wear the rotor quickly, and will not stop well when cold. Track pads should not be used for street driving.

I suggest you remove one of the pads to see if you can read any markings on the backing plate to identify the type of pad. If you can read a marking on the backing plate, you sould be able to search the internet to determine what pad is installed on the car. If it is a track pad you can just purchase pads designed for street use that fit the calipers. You can switch pads between street and track. For example, I use Hawk HPS pads for the street and switch to Wilwood B pads for the track.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by quikmni
Sounds like the pads are track pads not street pads. Pads designed for the track will make noise, wear the rotor quickly, and will not stop well when cold. Track pads should not be used for street driving.

I suggest you remove one of the pads to see if you can read any markings on the backing plate to identify the type of pad. If you can read a marking on the backing plate, you sould be able to search the internet to determine what pad is installed on the car. If it is a track pad you can just purchase pads designed for street use that fit the calipers. You can switch pads between street and track. For example, I use Hawk HPS pads for the street and switch to Wilwood B pads for the track.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
No need to type anymore ^ +1 ^ could just be an aggressive street pad too, my street pads sqeeeal like a pig and dust like a belt sander.